RC poster

Converting to Big boy tires

Need help new to this hobby and bought the 6.3 wheels and tires to put on my 2wd stampede but the hex nut is too small for the wheels please tell me there is conversion for this set up. If so parts number would be nice

Standard is 12mm, are the new wheels 14mm or 17mm?

Once you know that, you can just type into Google "12mm to 14mm hex adapter" (or 17mm).

Once you get the tires mounted, recommend gearing down a couple of teeth, running larger tires on stock gearing will stress the motor. Go down a couple of teeth on the pinion, or go up a few more teeth on the spur.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

If you bought the 6.3" Maxx wheels and tires for your Stampede, it doesn't matter which adapters you get to make them fit. They still won't work well with the rest of the truck.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If you bought the 6.3" Maxx wheels and tires for your Stampede, it doesn't matter which adapters you get to make them fit. They still won't work well with the rest of the truck.
    Unless it's going to be a shelf queen .

What esc/motor are you planning on using to push those tires?
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    I'm planning to upgrade to the vxl system and run lower spur gear like maybe 100 or more to make it more dirt and mud slinging fun I want speed but not some 70 mph on dirt speed its gonna be setup for off-road terrain use.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedz2015 View Post
    I'm planning to upgrade to the vxl system and run lower spur gear like maybe 100 or more to make it more dirt and mud slinging fun I want speed but not some 70 mph on dirt speed its gonna be setup for off-road terrain use.

Like mentioned above, they won't work well with that truck. You are going to be putting a lot of stress on the ESC, motor, steering servo and tranny. My guess something will burn up before you finish a battery pack.
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    ...You are going to be putting a lot of stress on the ESC, motor, steering servo and tranny...
    ...yokes, driveshafts, axles, bearings and carriers...

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    ...yokes, driveshafts, axles, bearings and carriers...
    I seriously doubt he will get to that point before he fries the ESC or motor.
    Stampede/Rustler

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I'm planning to upgrade to the vxl system and run lower spur gear like maybe 100 or more...
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought a 90 tooth spur gear is the biggest you can get in 48 pitch.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought a 90 tooth spur gear is the biggest you can get in 48 pitch.
    I think you are right. Imagine the torque you could generate with a 100t spur mated with a 9 or 10t pinion!

RC Champion
    Not sure how much ur big wheels weight. My digger has tamiya juggernauts. They r 6.8" tall and 4" wide fairly light. Had problems with the drive yolk. Changed to steel yolk no more issues. I use vxl3s 12p90s I think on 2s. It's fun.

Converting to Big boy tires

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    I seriously doubt he will get to that point before he fries the ESC or motor.
    I can think of situations where either is just as likely, but my intent was not to replace but to complement your wording, i.e. I was piling on.

@ blown68ssrs : In which situations are those big tires better suited to a Stampede than something based on a 2.8" or even 2.2" wheel?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-29-2015 at 12:52 PM.

RC Champion
    I don't really have any reference. When I set out to build the digger, I wanted it to look like a monster truck. I put the stock 1/10 digger wheels on my son's 1/16 digger and found these big wheels for mine. We mainly run them on pavement and snow banks. I had a gyro on mine and drift with it for awhile.
    I am sure its not the best combo. It's just fun for my household.

RC poster
    For those that doubt me in my endevers its called having machinist background I can make any part imaginably cable of the cad cam programming world. Plus its called 3d printing

For those that doubt me in my endevers its called having machinist background I can make any part imaginably cable of the cad cam programming world. Plus its called 3d printing
    It's not a question of your capabilities, what is fun about this hobby is the ability to make yours personal or create something unique. The big question I have is the ESC/motor going to be able to handle those tires. Look at the X-Maxx for example.. it was designed with a new ESC and motor to be able to handle the massiveness.
    By the way machinist and electronics are two different worlds, unless you have knowledge in both, one may not compliment the other if you are getting my point. I can make all the parts I need, but if my power plant can not handle it what's the use. There are others who want to do 100 plus mph but do not realize the more powerful the power supply (ESC/motor) it will not do you any good if the drive train can not handle it.
    Good luck with your project and keep us posted. Pics too!
    I do not know what hex size you are dealing with (asked by Greatscott) but there is an adapter made by HR to convert 14mm hex T=Maxx wheels.....http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...r=TE10M06;c=72
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    I will certainly do that and yes I have knowledge of both worlds I'm majoring in mechanical engineering with a minor in electrical engineering with emphis on robotics thanks for being respectful about this.my project might be as big as the new Xmax in the end so we will see how it goes

I think our dear friend JerrysMaxx said it well.

And, pictures of this project are wanted please!
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    I think our dear friend JerrysMaxx said it well.
    What's up doc? Glad to hear from ya again! Definitely want some pics... possible video
    Stampede/Rustler

Just loitering in the forums as usual. All my best to the gators.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Hey does anyone know if the motor from redcat racing is any good I noticed it was for a 1/5 buggy, its a unsesnored brushless 980 kv motor 07788# part its something I'm considering or waiting till traxas vxl6 system comes out for parts I figured if designed to run a bigger vehicle it will move this thinking beast when its fully done

RC Qualifier
    You plan on putting a 980kv on a 2wd stampede?? That motor probably needs 6 to 8s.

RC poster
    I have a question anybody can help me I was reading through some of the post I put some big Joe 2- tires on my Traxxas 3 3 they are 3.85 by6.65and they have a half of inch offset rims are 17 millimeterI upgraded the shocks on here everything else is stock just wondering is that putting my motor on your stress just wondering if I need to do anything with my gear ratio Thanks Robert

RC poster
    Possibly heat destroys electronic components keep that in mind Jvogel is a good one to hit up on that one

Quote Originally Posted by bigkid2020 View Post
    I have a question anybody can help me I was reading through some of the post I put some big Joe 2- tires on my Traxxas 3 3 they are 3.85 by6.65and they have a half of inch offset rims are 17 millimeterI upgraded the shocks on here everything else is stock just wondering is that putting my motor on your stress just wondering if I need to do anything with my gear ratio Thanks Robert
    This should have been in the T Maxx forum but I will reply....
    Does your wheels look like this?

I have a 3.3 on it and still run stock gearing. Wheelies on command!
    Stampede/Rustler

Possibly heat destroys electronic components keep that in mind Jvogel is a good one to hit up on that one
    It's a NITRO not electric.
    Ahhhh ye good ole Doc V, he's the man.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.