Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a X-Maxx!!!

Cool Got a X-Maxx!!!

Hey guys! I got quite a surprise when I came into work today, turn out our shop is one of the lucky shops to get an early X-Maxx in! Traxxas sent out 80 X-Maxx's to select hobby shops throughout the world to drum up excitement for it, and man, it works. This thing is huge! We're going to do a review video here shortly, starting with a un-boxing video, then a running video after that. I'll post some pictures of it here shortly, but I'll keep you guys updated!
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Hey guys! I got quite a surprise when I came into work today, turn out our shop is one of the lucky shops to get an early X-Maxx in! Traxxas sent out 80 X-Maxx's to select hobby shops throughout the world to drum up excitement for it, and man, it works. This thing is huge! We're going to do a review video here shortly, starting with a un-boxing video, then a running video after that. I'll post some pictures of it here shortly, but I'll keep you guys updated!
    Good for you man! Excited! Looking forward to your video and thoughts!

awesome dude

that's great. so will it be used as a demo the way traxxas intended or is it 'yours'?

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    that's great. so will it be used as a demo the way traxxas intended or is it 'yours'?
    It will be used as a demo for the videos and showing yes. But once that's all done, there's a chance I might be taking it home with me...

RC Racer
    Hurry up we need vids

Video's have been filmed, and hopefully they'll be uploaded in the next few days. To make complex story some what less complex, this X-Maxx is now mine. It's the first one of the the 8 we ordered, and I was the first to pre-pay for it, and being an employee, I got first dibs on it, as long as I bring it into the shop for a display whenever I'm working, and allow it to be used as a demo for videos and customers as needed. Best part is when we're not open, I'm free to take it home with me, like tonight. So hopefully I'll get some good running time first hand with this beast tonight.

Ok, sorry for the cruddy pictures, I'll get some better ones soon...

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 11-30-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Great shot comparing it to the Slash!

Can't wait for the videos!

Hey looks like you are the first in Utah to have one! congrats dude.

RC Competitor
    Which hobby shop are you at?

Sorry for the long post, but it's full of details if you read through it.

Hey looks like you are the first in Utah to have one! congrats dude.
    Ha ha ha yea, it sure seems that way!

Quote Originally Posted by hazelmullins View Post
    Which hobby shop are you at?
    I'm at Vortex Hobbies. Feel free to stop by and check it out yourself, just ask for Kyle. I work most days of the week 12-7.

Well, I just spent the last 4-5 hours with the X-Maxx. It's simply amazing. I ran a half pack of 6s 5200mah 50c's through it. The low end of the power band is great, all the way up to 25mph or so, then it kinda flattens out. I imagine gearing will fix that. I also tried some 4s 8200mah 50c's, which actually was quite surprisingly nice. I was expecting it to be slow and sluggish, but it drove just like it did on 6s, although I'm guessing it tops out at around 25-30 mph. It has crazy amounts of torque to the point it's not even funny. It's crazy powerful, it just runs out gearing wise. Gearing it up will do wonders for the speed, although who knows what that will do for motor and esc temps.

I personally feel like the 35 mph you get on 6s is fast enough for about 75% of driving for me. It's way bigger than what I'm used to, and I had a lot of close calls with parked cars, signs, and trees. This truck is tough too. I didn't get so lucky one of the times with a tree, and I clocked it square dead center with the left front tire about 80% throttle, and it just bounced off and rolled a few times. It flipped itself back over with the self righting, and no damage was done. I couldn't believe it was hurt, it was quite a thunk lol.

Me being someone who loves taking things apart, this new truck was too much to resist. I took apart the entire rear end just to see how the slipper clutch works. Let's just say it's beyond beefy! Not only is it turbine cooled, the pad is a one piece rubbery nylon material, which is new to this truck. From the factory the slipper clutch was set at around 1 full turn from tight. When I reassembled it, I put it at a quarter turn loose; which resulted in it doing a standing back flip on dry pavement on 6s. I have it set at half a turn loose right now, which seems perfect for my driving style.

On a side note, the Traxxas diagram lied. It says you only need to remove 6 screws to remove the entire rear end. Nope. False. It took me 14, yes 14 screws to remove the rear end to get to the slipper clutch and drive shaft. It wasn't hard, it was just annoying really.

Long story short, I took quite a lot of high res detailed pictures of everything including the slipper clutch and motor mounts, but I'm having a hard time uploading them right now, so I'll have to try again tomorrow afternoon.

Overall so far I'd give the X-Maxx a very solid 9.5/10, with 1 being utter crap, and 10 being perfection. The only reason why I don't give it a 10 right now it due to the lack of a wheelie bar. You need one on good dry pavement if you punch it sometimes... I'm absolutely in love with this truck, it's worth the $800 multiple times over to me. There's so many things I want to say about it that I don't have room for right now.

Since this is a "demo" model, feel free to ask me anything about it, or ask to have me try something with it. For the record, yes it rock crawls, quite well in fact. I drove it up a set of concrete stairs multiple times with ease.

Hope this helps everyone!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-01-2015 at 02:09 AM.

GREAT, valuable and educational post and review!!!! I am going to read it again. I may have questions.

Can't wait for photos and videos!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for this write up. Good information and hurry Traxxas with our trucks.

RC Qualifier
    Glad you were one of the first ones to get it. Can't wait to see the videos. What were you run times on the different batteries?

RC Racer
    Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    Glad you were one of the first ones to get it. Can't wait to see the videos. What were you run times on the different batteries?
    Running on 6s 5200mah 3s lipos ran for about 20 min or so before I stopped, they still had a moderate charge, I ran out of time to keep running it, not battery life thankfully. Running it on 4s I only got a chance to run it for maybe 10 min, so I'm not 100% sure on those either quite yet, but both batteries were only at 4.10 per cell, so they had plenty of run time left in them.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to run a full set of 6s and 4s through it today, and I'll time each set to give you guys some better numbers.

You are doing some testing!

What 2s packs are you running, and their capacity?

Looking forward to your results on both 4s and 6s.

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    You are doing some testing!

What 2s packs are you running, and their capacity?

Looking forward to your results on both 4s and 6s.
    Heck ya, it's a blast to test and use this beast!

I have three sets of batteries for it.

6s, or two Lectron Pro 5200 mah 50c 3s

4s, or two SPC 8200 mah 50c 2s

4s, or two Lectron Pro 7600 mah 75c 2s

RC Champion
    Got mine on Sat. Same deal, Colpar Hobby in Aurora got one out of their 8. I preordered blue and the one that came in was blue so they let me have it. I have many of the same thoughts you have so I won't be redundant. I am waiting on some 3s batteries so all my experience so far is 2s. Fun truck, big, and easy to drive.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Got mine on Sat. Same deal, Colpar Hobby in Aurora got one out of their 8. I preordered blue and the one that came in was blue so they let me have it. I have many of the same thoughts you have so I won't be redundant. I am waiting on some 3s batteries so all my experience so far is 2s. Fun truck, big, and easy to drive.
    Wait you got one too?!? Congrats man!

RC poster
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Please link that video when you get it uploaded! Really want to see more videos of it! I'm just drooling all over because of this thing...

Ok picture time!!

I took plenty of size comparison pictures, so sorry about posting so many pictures...

Starting small...

Getting bigger...

Getting even bigger....

Getting pretty big...

Saved the best for last!

Here's my Traxxas truck lot...

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-02-2015 at 12:35 AM.

You have a cool collection!

Great comparison shots. Even the Summit looks small in that overhead shot compared to the X-MAXX!

nice

RC Champion
    wow and I thought I had too many cars. Nice collection.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Thanks for the compliments guys! That picture doesn't even include all of mine, I still have my Slayer Pro and SLash 2wd, but they're both in pieces getting upgraded/repaired.

RC Competitor
    Hay wolf got a link for that light bar you mounted up. Looks sweet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sweet collection. It's crazy how the X-Maxx makes the Summit look small.
    We are all one race. The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by puddmaxx View Post
    Hay wolf got a link for that light bar you mounted up. Looks sweet.
    Ya sure thing, this is the one I used.

http://www.vanquishproducts.com/rigi...lear-anodized/

RC Competitor
    Thanks for that. It looks like a perfect fit. Thought I was gunna have to wait a while to save for one, but the wife gave me the green light to buy one with the tax return. the one time I try to be a responsible human and not tick her off she tells me to do what I want. Got to love it. My original goal was to have it buy mid June so I real happy now.

RC Racer
    Nice report! Anticipation is killing me.

I love this truck! I drove it for over a hour today, getting various videos along the way. I'm working with them now, hopefully I can have them posted here shortly. I may or may not have footage of doing a flip off a jump, or snow drifting, or or riding a wheelie for 10-20 feet, or even speed runs on 4s and 6s...

Let me explain why I love this beast so much. Sure, it's not as crazy as a Slash 4x4 on 4s, or a E-Revo or Summit on 6s, or even 4s for that matter, but that's what makes it great. It has crazy torque to make up for it. I can drive it around at full throttle on 6s and bash it without having to worry about breaking it, or even flipping it. It's still a beast to drive, being able to drive over rough terrain. It took some HARD hits (on video!) and it kept coming back for more. The tires have enough grip that you can easily pull wheelies, on 6s or 4s, but yet when you turn hard enough instead of flipping, it just drifts 75% of the time, and if it doesn't drift, it just goes on 2 wheels then back onto all 4 tires. The run time is way better then I was expecting too, I'm getting 20-25 min on 5200mah 3s batteries, or 6s. Running my SPC 8200 2s 50c's I get roughly 45 min of run time. I honestly have no complaints about it at all. Traxxas really nailed this truck IMO.

On a side note, the shocks stopped leaking after I ran it today. I haven't touched 3 of the 4 shocks, and all 4 shocks no longer leak. I've now since topped off all the shock oil in them, and so far so good. It seems the seals just needed to be broken in.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-03-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Nice dude. What are the temps after a full pack of 2x3s hard bashing?

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Nice dude. What are the temps after a full pack of 2x3s hard bashing?
    I didn't get a real temp on it, but after a 50/50 mix of grass/snow and concrete, I'd say around 120-140F.

I didn't get a real temp on it, but after a 50/50 mix of grass/snow and concrete, I'd say around 120-140F.
    Thanks dude sounds promising

I love this truck! I drove it for over a hour today, getting various videos along the way. I'm working with them now, hopefully I can have them posted here shortly. I may or may not have footage of doing a flip off a jump, or snow drifting, or or riding a wheelie for 10-20 feet, or even speed runs on 4s and 6s...

Let me explain why I love this beast so much. Sure, it's not as crazy as a Slash 4x4 on 4s, or a E-Revo or Summit on 6s, or even 4s for that matter, but that's what makes it great. It has crazy torque to make up for it. I can drive it around at full throttle on 6s and bash it without having to worry about breaking it, or even flipping it. It's still a beast to drive, being able to drive over rough terrain. It took some HARD hits (on video!) and it kept coming back for more. The tires have enough grip that you can easily pull wheelies, on 6s or 4s, but yet when you turn hard enough instead of flipping, it just drifts 75% of the time, and if it doesn't drift, it just goes on 2 wheels then back onto all 4 tires. The run time is way better then I was expecting too, I'm getting 20-25 min on 5200mah 3s batteries, or 6s. Running my SPC 8200 2s 50c's I get roughly 45 min of run time. I honestly have no complaints about it at all. Traxxas really nailed this truck IMO.

On a side note, the shocks stopped leaking after I ran it today. I haven't touched 3 of the 4 shocks, and all 4 shocks no longer leak. I've now since topped off all the shock oil in them, and so far so good. It seems the seals just needed to be broken in.
    Sounds great on all accounts! Including no more leaking shocks! Too full from factory?

Can't wait to see your videos!!

RC Competitor
    How well does it perform on 4s? Can't wait for the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by puddmaxx View Post
    How well does it perform on 4s? Can't wait for the videos.
    similar to a brushed summit i would say

RC Racer
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    Well done on the light bar. The first time I saw the front bumper it seemed like a light should go there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast