Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a X-Maxx!!!

RC Qualifier
    That's AWESOME!! That thing is huge. Can't wait to have one on my shelf..

Here's some random pictures I took of it today while I was checking out the front end.

Yes the servo is plastic geared. The plastic on it feels harder than the normal on though.

I LOVE how the servo horn is captured with a ball bearing and mount!

Full ball bearing steering setup

Some odd notes in the Quick start guide I found interesting...

Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Thanks for that great info. Awesome. So there must be a temp sensor on the motor???

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Thanks for that great info. Awesome. So there must be a heat sensor on the motor???
    Yup! It comes with the tempuatre sensor installed from the factory!

Ok guys! Here's the videos I was talking about! Enjoy!

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-06-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Love the front bumper light. Just wish there was a plug n play version.

It really seems hard to tip over, even on concrete or pavement. That's awesome!

The 4s runs are a nice test! Less power just mostly seems like top end is reduced. I'm impressed with 4s, wheelies and all!

Lol - wheelie into the light pole!

Thanks for sharing!

yes, thanks for sharing. that captured servo horn looks great.

one question. the one where it's upside down at the end and flailing, is the self righting doing that or are you doing that manually?

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Love the front bumper light. Just wish there was a plug n play version.

It really seems hard to tip over, even on concrete or pavement. That's awesome!

The 4s runs are a nice test! Less power just mostly seems like top end is reduced. I'm impressed with 4s, wheelies and all!

Lol - wheelie into the light pole!

Thanks for sharing!
    I was surprised by that too, both the surprising low center of gravity, and the nice power on 4s. Yea 4s doesn't have the top end speed, but I plan to try messing with pinion gears to see how much to can adjust for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    yes, thanks for sharing. that captured servo horn looks great.

one question. the one where it's upside down at the end and flailing, is the self righting doing that or are you doing that manually?
    That's me doing it. I've found I can actually flip it over better trying myself most of the time.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-06-2015 at 10:26 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Is steering slop better than some of the current vehicles?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    good question since steering assemby is similar to stampede 4x4 / slash 4x4 and those vehicles suffer from a lot of slop in the steering.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I'd like to say so, but there's a bit of slop in the steering, about on par with a brand new Slash 4x4 or Stampede 4x4. Compared to the size of the truck it's not that much though.

BTW the shock cap TireSlinger sent me arrived today! The beast is back up and running smoothly again!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-07-2015 at 11:27 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I'd like to say so, but there's a bit of slop in the steering, about on par with a brand new Slash 4x4 or Stampede 4x4. Compared to the size of the truck it's not that much though.

BTW the shock cap TireSlinger sent me arrived today! The beast is back up and running smoothly again!
    Awh. Well that's alright. It's never stopped me from loving my Slashes!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Great stuff, glad to hear. Stock caps?

Great stuff, glad to hear. Stock caps?
    Yep, just the stock ones. My first one only broke due to an air bubble in the plastic, so I'm okay with stock ones. They've proven quite tough when they don't have bubbles in them.

Yep, just the stock ones. My first one only broke due to an air bubble in the plastic, so I'm okay with stock ones. They've proven quite tough when they don't have bubbles in them.
    Thanks for clarification, sounds good!

Drove it for two more full 6s battery sets tonight, or in other terms I ran it on 6s for an hour and 15 min. I found I can jump it off top of my park's hill, which launches it at least 20-30 feet out, and down. As you can imagine it was crazy fun, I spent at least 45 min of the bash time launching the beast off the hill. I'd be lying if I said I wan't smiling like a idiot the entire time. Nothing broke, even after landing the massive jumps square on the front bumper, rear bumper, sideways, and every way possible at least 3 times each usually cartwheeling 3-4 times after. This thing is crazy tough. It's amazing!

On a side note, this thing jumps like a dream. I have yet to drive a truck that jumps as well as the X-Maxx. Once it's in the air all you have to do is let off the throttle and it self balances itself in the air. A slight tap of the throttle or brake easily corrects any tilt. The times I landed it bad was my own fault do to launching it off the top of hill crooked.

Awesome dude. I want to see a video of what you described above

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Awesome dude. I want to see a video of what you described above
    Oh don't worry. I plan to get at least a 4-5 min long video of what I'm talking about. I hope to have a video filmed, and posted by Friday night.

Oh don't worry. I plan to get at least a 4-5 min long video of what I'm talking about. I hope to have a video filmed, and posted by Friday night.
    Awesome! Can't wait!

I took the front and rear diffs out of my X-Maxx just for fun to see what they looked like. I'm happy to report I found nothing out of the norm, no rust, broken parts, loose screws, still plenty of grease on the ring and pinion gears, etc even after nearing 5 hours of solid run time. I couldn't believe it only took 6 screws and 5 min to remove a diff, either the front or rear diff. It's super easy and nice to work on.

I took the front and rear diffs out of my X-Maxx just for fun to see what they looked like. I'm happy to report I found nothing out of the norm, no rust, broken parts, loose screws, still plenty of grease on the ring and pinion gears, etc even after nearing 5 hours of solid run time. I couldn't believe it only took 6 screws and 5 min to remove a diff, either the front or rear diff. It's super easy and nice to work on.
    Nice! How many more screws to take the diff apart to change the diff oil?

You're talking about getting access to the spider gears? It's only 4, quite large, screws. There's one in each corner of the cup vs having two next to each other. You can see what I'm talking about here...

You're talking about getting access to the spider gears? It's only 4, quite large, screws. There's one in each corner of the cup vs having two next to each other. You can see what I'm talking about here...

Right! So not too big a job, just messy to change diff oil by look of it. Thanks

RC Competitor
    Anyone know what weight oil is stock in the diffs? Wolf, did pull the diffs apart to check the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by puddmaxx View Post
    Anyone know what weight oil is stock in the diffs? Wolf, did pull the diffs apart to check the fluid?
    I'm not sure what the stock shock oil weight is, or the diff oil is, I don't believe Traxxas has said anything about it yet... I'm guessing the shock oil is 30 wt, but I can't tell. Feeling the diff action I'm guessing it's 100k fluid?

I didn't take it apart enough to get to the spider gears, I figured it wasn't worth messing with them since everything is still so new. They still feel great, no diff action has been lost by fluid leaking out or anything.

Drove it around bashing the crud out of it again today, launching it off BMX jumps. I did mange to break the front bumper loop and pull the screw out of the front, but that was after landing a 20ft high jump square on the front bumper. At least twice. I used CA glue to glue the screw back in, and the inner bumper loop doesn't affect how it mounts, so it doesn't matter. I got all of it on video, you should be able to view it in my LHS's review video of it hopefully by the end of the week.

On a side note, I found a good mod for it. Out of the box it comes with a fixed 2-3 degrees of toe in on the rear. Switching the left one to the right side and the right side to the left side counter acts that, giving each side 0 degrees of toe in. I'd much rather have 0 toe in, not only does it look better not having the tires pointed in, it saves quite a lot of wear on the tires too!

Drove it around bashing the crud out of it again today, launching it off BMX jumps. I did mange to break the front bumper loop and pull the screw out of the front, but that was after landing a 20ft high jump square on the front bumper. At least twice. I used CA glue to glue the screw back in, and the inner bumper loop doesn't affect how it mounts, so it doesn't matter. I got all of it on video, you should be able to view it in my LHS's review video of it hopefully by the end of the week.

On a side note, I found a good mod for it. Out of the box it comes with a fixed 2-3 degrees of toe in on the rear. Switching the left one to the right side and the right side to the left side counter acts that, giving each side 0 degrees of toe in. I'd much rather have 0 toe in, not only does it look better not having the tires pointed in, it saves quite a lot of wear on the tires too!
    What parts exactly did you switch to get 0 degrees toe in? Photos?

RC Racer
    The shock oil is 30wt that comes stock in it.

What parts exactly did you switch to get 0 degrees toe in? Photos?
    I switched the rear axle carriers. I thought I said that in my last post my bad. Looking at it now with the wheels on, I think it's actually giving it 1 degree toe out now. I can't tell quite yet...

RC Racer
    what is the size of the servo? i will prob. put a savox waterproof servo in there.

cant i use diff grease in place of oil?

im coming from a 1/5 scale gas car.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWheels View Post
    what is the size of the servo? i will prob. put a savox waterproof servo in there.

cant i use diff grease in place of oil?

im coming from a 1/5 scale gas car.
    The servo size is a normal size 1/5 scale. I doubt you could get a normal servo in there though, the mounting style is unique to this truck.

Sure I don't see why not.

RC Racer
    Already working on a conversion been experimenting just 3d printed a few different brackets.

RC Racer
    cool dude thank you

Traxxas Employee sofasticantseeit's Avatar
    I switched the rear axle carriers. I thought I said that in my last post my bad. Looking at it now with the wheels on, I think it's actually giving it 1 degree toe out now. I can't tell quite yet...
    The carriers have toe , and are marked Left/Right to help identify proper placement.
    Last edited by sofasticantseeit; 12-11-2015 at 08:53 AM.

The toe is built into the rear carriers. So the factory 2 of toe-in is now 2 of toe-out. Tire wear will not change (since the effective toe angle is the same, 2) and the truck will become a lot less stable in a straight line.
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 12-11-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: I can't spell. . .
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 3_rolls View Post
    The toe is built into the rear carriers. So the factory 2 of toe-in is now 2 of toe-out. Tire wear will not change (since the effective toe angle is the same, 2) and the truck will become a lot less stable in a straight line.
    Thanks for the input! Looking at it last night, the tires did look off. I was hoping it was like the platinum Slash 4x4, were you can switch the rear axle carriers to get 0 degrees toe on both sides. Oh well I guess it doesn't work on the X-Maxx.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast