Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Got a X-Maxx!!!

wow. you are talking about the shaft, as in the metal part, right? not just the plastic rod end.

RC Racer
    Were you guessing at 30 lbs when you were done? Curious since that would be an extra 11 lbs!

I could see that + cold temps having an adverse affect on the suspension...

Looking forward to the vids, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    wow. you are talking about the shaft, as in the metal part, right? not just the plastic rod end.
    I weighed it at 30.2 pounds when the shafts broke.

Yep. The metal shaft on both sides sheared off at the plastic rod end...
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

that's an odd way to break. the only real load on that shaft is the unsprung weight pulling straight down on the shaft. did it happen at once, like a big jump while the truck was full of snow or.....?

that's an odd way to break. the only real load on that shaft is the unsprung weight pulling straight down on the shaft. did it happen at once, like a big jump while the truck was full of snow or.....?
    I can't tell honestly. I noticed during the end of the videos that the front suspension was sagging, and when I picked up the truck and the arms dropped down both rod ends were broken. I just watched the video, and I can't find when they broke....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Sheared off in the threaded portion? I've had Traxxas stub axles break off there something like five times.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Why don't u wait till spring to run it. The cold only cause's problems.

Woah! Sounds like crazy runs! What's the temps there?

There is no way I'm waiting for spring to run my X-MAXX when I get it. I do realize cold makes things briddle, sure. My intent is not to bash hard. Hope that approach will have it hold up.

Can't wait for the videos. What's the plan for parts to rebuild now?

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Woah! Sounds like crazy runs! What's the temps there?

There is no way I'm waiting for spring to run my X-MAXX when I get it. I do realize cold makes things briddle, sure. My intent is not to bash hard. Hope that approach will have it hold up.

Can't wait for the videos. What's the plan for parts to rebuild now?
    No idea on the temps. The motor was buried under snow the entire time, so it couldn't have been too hot.

Same. Winter is my favorite time to drive RC's, I love snow driving!

Any photos of the carnage to help illustrate what happened, by chance?

Any photos of the carnage to help illustrate what happened, by chance?
    Yes. I'm uploading them now. I'll have them posted here shortly.

EDIT: Here they are.

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-15-2015 at 09:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ah that's a bummer. I bet the snow bash was worth it though. Do your lipos move around much when strapped down? We need some more free parts over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Multirotor View Post
    Ah that's a bummer. I bet the snow bash was worth it though. Do your lipos move around much when strapped down? We need some more free parts over here.
    Yea, it bummed me out pretty good. It was worth it though. I got great videos from it all though! The lipos, either the 2s, or 3s ones, don't really move at all even though there's plenty of room for them to move, they stay planted.

Here's the videos! Enjoy guys! Watch'm in HD!

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-15-2015 at 09:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    Where have you been keeping the X-maxx when not in use? Been below freezing the last few days? I could see issues if it was being kept in a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by hazelmullins View Post
    Where have you been keeping the X-maxx when not in use? Been below freezing the last few days? I could see issues if it was being kept in a garage.
    I always store my RC's inside if it's colder than 60 degrees outside. My X-Maxx is always inside, unless I'm driving it. Even if I'm cleaning it or drying it off it's inside.

RC Competitor
    How long did it run for on the 6s setup and what size mah?

Thanns
    Coffee is king!
    YouTube - RC Tanks & Trucks 24/7

Great videos and I can tell the person in the background is having a blast.

How long did it run for on the 6s setup and what size mah?
    On 6s, or two 3s 5200 mah, I normally got around 25 min of run time. Driving in the snow really weighed it down, which also froze out the batteries, so run time was only around 15 min or so. Running it on 4s, or two 8200 mah, normally was around 45 min of run time. Again with all the snow I got 30 min of run time. Snow driving really does hurt the run time.

Great videos and I can tell the person in the background is having a blast.
    Thanks! I didn't even really notice him back there. Thanks for making me laugh at my poor neighbor.

I'm going to contact Traxxas tomorrow and see how long it'll take to get replacement shafts. Hopefully it won't be too long.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-15-2015 at 11:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    On 6s, or two 3s 5200 mah, I normally got around 25 min of run time. Driving in the snow really weighed it down, which also froze out the batteries, so run time was only around 15 min or so. Running it on 4s, or two 8200 mah, normally was around 45 min of run time. Again with all the snow I got 30 min of run time
    Thanks mate. Yeah the snow hurts badly ay. I am happy with the 45min run times. That's awesome
    Coffee is king!

the shock shafts broke during this kind of running? nothing else happened other than the driving we saw? you've had 2 points of failure in the shocks both of which seem to have been caused by the shock being the downtravel limiter...

the shock shafts broke during this kind of running? nothing else happened other than the driving we saw? you've had 2 points of failure in the shocks both of which seem to have been caused by the shock being the downtravel limiter...
    The only driving I did is what you see in the videos. I didn't hit anything at all, although I did bump the tree in the middle, but that was at 2-3 mph. Even so I wouldn't expect a shock shaft to break driving it all like that, let alone both shafts breaking. I'm curious to see what Traxxas has to say about all this tomorrow.

RC Racer
    Contact Traxxas they already are addressing issues if you encounter a broken shock shaft. A few people have encountered issues but 2 shock shafts thats a real big bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    Contact Traxxas they already are addressing issues if you encounter a broken shock shaft. A few people have encountered issues but 2 shock shafts thats a real big bummer.
    I sent out a email to them with all the info, and pictures of the broken shafts just 10 min ago. I'll keep you updated as soon as I hear back from them.

RC Racer
    Good luck I am sure they will take care of you and your truck thanks for the vids

Fun videos!

Hard to believe two shock shafts broke from that snow bashing! Hope Traxxas does take care of that for you, you, that these parts are not prone to breakage. Cold temps or not, this is surprising.

Good luck, pls keep u posted.

RC Qualifier
    yes "its that time of the year" as we will see significantly more breakages in the rc forums.... however, i fully agree that this should not happen from what we have seen in the videos above.
    Exercitatio artem paravit

RC Competitor
    Does this mean I should hold out on getting an xmaxx to see if they revise these issues?

RC Qualifier
    we don't know yet if these really are "issues".
    Exercitatio artem paravit

RC Competitor
    Wolfslash, since u seem to have the most diverse bashing so far I have a question
    About the broken shocks, it would appear by ur situation and I think I have seen another
    Person with a broken shock shaft, that they maybe breaking due to the suspension
    Traveling to far down, my question is....can this be fixed by limiting the down travel
    With a zip tie or something? Like a limiting strap on real monster trucks?
    Also awesome videos and great info for those of us still drooling!! Thank you!!

Fun videos!

Hard to believe two shock shafts broke from that snow bashing! Hope Traxxas does take care of that for you, you, that these parts are not prone to breakage. Cold temps or not, this is surprising.

Good luck, pls keep u posted.
    Thanks! Pretty much my exact thoughts on all this.

Does this mean I should hold out on getting an xmaxx to see if they revise these issues?
    we don't know yet if these really are "issues".
    I wouldn't. I love my X-Maxx, it's an absolute beast, and a tank. Yes, I've had a few issues, but then again mine is a super early version. I mean the serial number is 00000125. I'm guessing that I'm just suffering from early production batch issues.

Wolfslash, since u seem to have the most diverse bashing so far I have a question
    About the broken shocks, it would appear by ur situation and I think I have seen another
    Person with a broken shock shaft, that they maybe breaking due to the suspension
    Traveling to far down, my question is....can this be fixed by limiting the down travel
    With a zip tie or something? Like a limiting strap on real monster trucks?
    Also awesome videos and great info for those of us still drooling!! Thank you!!
    I would assume that would help, but I"m not sure that would help with the shock shafts. I would have prevented the cap from breaking, but that was a weak cap to begin with though. It's worth a try!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-16-2015 at 11:34 AM.

I just got off the phone with Traxxas. One of my rims got a medium sized crack in it from when I was jumping yesterday, and I didn't want to say anything until I heard back from Traxxas to not cause panic. They told me it's because the early models have thinner plastic pre-production rims, and the cold temperature doesn't help. So to sum it up, They're sending me two new better shock shafts. They're also sending me 4 new wheels and tires too! Best part? They're sending me a new battery strap along with it all. I straight out told them on the phone that it being broke was 100% my fault, and I didn't need one, but yet they're sending me a new battery strap anyway. Talk about good service! Gotta love Traxxas service!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-16-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Glad to hear it! I hope the pre orders are not prototype demo models.

This does prove they do improve things are any issues come up!

Glad to hear it! I hope the pre orders are not prototype demo models.

This does prove they do improve things are any issues come up!
    Traxxas does not sell prototypes or demo vehicles, only full production models.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC Racer
    It looks like the thread on the shaft end is smaller in diameter than the shaft itself? Wondering why they made it like that.

I'm guessing it's that way to there's more room to have the threads. Other than that I have no idea honestly. Regardless, the new parts which Traxxas was so kind to send are set to arrive on Monday, so I won't be down for long!

To anyone from Traxxas that may read this, thank you. You guys have gone above and beyond what was needed, and for that I thank you. I only needed the two shock shafts and battery strap, all of which I was planning on replacing myself. The shock shafts breaking was a surprise, but then again you have to factor in I had over 10 lbs+ of snow on it, and I was jumping it in 25 degree weather. I broke the battery strap, no questions was it in any way defective, I flat out broke it myself due to being to impatient to let it thaw out. All that is without even factoring Traxxas sending me 4 new rims with tires too. Talk about over the top. Traxxas, you've earned a strong supporter and loyal customer for life. Thanks you.

RC Racer
    WoW ! Top service from Traxxas

RC Competitor
    Great customer service
    Coffee is king!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast