Thread: Fail safe

RC Qualifier

Fail safe

What do you guys do to make sure your Nitros don't run away when something happens I know the new 2.4 has failsafes built in but is there something better you can do to keep it safer

Start it with the tires off the ground and make sure to turn the controller first.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

there are failsafe available for 1:10 just like the 1:5 scales. I've had a few runaways and they never have ended well. I have seen upgraded to Spektrum DX4C and use all Spektrum receivers and am able to program the RX/TX so that there are no more mishaps like that
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    So it'd be best to upgrade the rx/tx from the start?

I would recommend it. There are many to choose from. Do a search and read reviews and make an educated decision. I can not discuss other brands on this forum per rules
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Champion
    I did the same thing and switched to a futaba 3p. It has a programmable fail safe.
    I have an RC problem...

I have the futaba 3pl and now use the 4pls for my revo 3.3 too, their fail safe features are excelent, couldn't be happier with my purchases.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    I have no experience with any hi end surface TX. For me, a good throttle return spring and/or an external fail safe with 27mhz system is fairly robust in terms of runaways. III

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell72 View Post
    What do you guys do to make sure your Nitros don't run away when something happens I know the new 2.4 has failsafes built in but is there something better you can do to keep it safer
    If it has a failsafe built in, then all you need is a TRS in case you battery pack dies or something catastrophic happens causing the servo to lose it's connection to the receiver.

I run spektrum and they all failsafe both servos to where they were at the time I did the binding process if I shut off the transmitter or exceed the range.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    I swapped the old am radio out in my 2.5 revo to the newish 2.4 fm system as it goes to no throttle and holds the steering if signal is lost.

Easy way to test is turn on your TX/RX without starting the engine and hold full throttle then turn off your TX and observe what happens.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Enthusiast
    if you want true fail-safe for say if your battery disconnects or shorts out you can use a killer rc Bumble bee kill switch. it has aux control and glitch control. if you battery dies it closes off the fuel line. as it is a normally close valve it will not open unless there is power, you can also kill it with a switch on your remote. the reason this is a true fail-safe is it will activate even with total loss of power. where as spektrum if power is remove the servos can not move to the carb closed position there for if it fails at speed it will continue. the bumble bee will stop the engine.