Unhappy First to Break an X-Maxx?

Hey guys, I was hoping I wouldn't have to start a thread like this so soon... I was out driving it filming it driving around on 6s getting footage for a running video for my hobby shop, and about 6-7 min into it, it slightly, and I mean barely even, drifted into a crack sideways in the walkway, moving maybe 2-3 mph, and there was a nice crack and pop sound. I have no idea how I managed to break it, but somehow I tore the top of the shock cap opening off... I can't post the video clip yet, for as it's my hobby shop's video we're going to use; but I'll try to post the video clips I'm talking about.

*Sorry for the lengthy post again, but's it's full of info*

Thankfully it broke just enough that it snaps back onto the ball link so I could keep driving it, but every 4-5 min it would pop off and I would have to snap it back on. My only guess to why it broke it the suspension can travel 1-2 inches farther than the shock lets it travel, so in theory if you pulled down really hard on a A-arm, it would snap like it did here. During the video I only rolled it once, but I drove it another 3 min after that before it actually popped off. I can't tell quite when it broke, or snapped, I only know when it popped off and became obvious... It's still usable, so I'm lucky, but I'm kinda annoyed at how fast it broke.

On a side note, I'm not super impressed with the shocks yet. They look great, and the dampen impacts amazingly. After the first run (3-4 min) I noticed all 4 shocks had oil seeping out of them, to the point the spring retainer and rod end were wet with shock oil. I cleaned them off, thinking it was just the shocks breaking or wearing in or something, but all 4 of them are still leaking out oil out the bottom. I checked the bottom cap, and all of them are tight and seem to be correctly seated. Now that I've used it 5 times, or 30 min total, I'd say at least 10% of the shock oil has leaked out off all 4 shocks. I'm not sure if something is wrong with just my shocks, or if this is how they are all. It's a ongoing "test" if you will.

Ok here's pictures of the broken shock cap tip...

This is how far the suspension travels when you remove the top shock mount. Notice the gap between the top of the shock and shock mounting spot...

It sill snaps on though...

It's hard to tell in pictures, but you can see the shine from all the shock oil pooled in the spring retainer in this picture.

In this one you can see the shock rod end is coated in shock oil too...

I plan on contacting Traxxas first thing tomorrow to see if I can source a replacement somehow. I doubt they have one, but it's worth a try, and I'm hopping they can help me with it.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-02-2015 at 12:24 AM.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

well I can tell why it broke my friend, don't be dicouraged, its way too cold here in salt lake that it just became brittle. if it was even 50 out it would have had a better chance, but with this test we know now that this is for sure a weak spot!
    Last edited by mdschmidt90; 12-01-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdschmidt90 View Post
    well I can tell why it broke my friend, don't be dicouraged, its way too cold here in salt lake that it just became brittle. if it was even 50 out it would have had a better chance, but with this test we know now that this is for sure a weak spot!
    No kidding! It was maybe 20F when I was running it? Anyway I'm just really glad I can still use it, even though it's really annoying, it still runs... Hopefully either Traxxas, or an aftermarket company will come up with a fix for it.

Ok, wait a sec... Looking at the broken part, it looks like there could have been a large air bubble in the plastic molding... There's a indentation in the plastic. Am I seeing things or do you guys see what I'm taking about? Look at the oval shape on the taller part of the broken cap...

weird about the shock oil, have you been working the shocks really hard or just normal running? i wonder if the cold temps outside are affecting the seals. maybe traxxas does all their testing in the warm state of texas and no 'cold weather testing' lol...

RC Champion
    Frigid weather will certainly make plastic quite brittle, especially if it isn't of the semi malleable type like RPM plastics. Wouldn't be surprised if it also contributed to the leaking

I guess the first order of business is to rebuild the shocks with some shock snot on the orings. I will definitely be purchasing some aluminum caps when they become available and maybe someone will release a shock limiting setup similar to the Centralmaxx limiters that i have on my Emaxx, although it will have to be a completely different design.

X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

Thanks for sharing, but sorry to hear about the breakage.

Does sound like aluminum shock caps are a good idea to be on the safe side.

I hope the shock caps breaking, and all shocks leaking with oil is not common.

I suggest calling Traxxas to report what you've experienced and to talk replacement parts and oil leak solutions.

Please keep us posted.

Another informative post!
    Last edited by jeteffect; 12-02-2015 at 05:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Your first break could have been a lot worse! The oil leak concerns me more than the shock cap.

When you think about it, when 8" tires grab a crack in the sidewalk there is a lot of friction at that moment so I am not too surprised. It will be interesting to watch the video of it. 8" tires grabbing compared to that narrow plastic top on a shock cap try to hold on for its life is a big difference.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks for posting. Will definitely take it easy for a while on the X-Maxx til upgrades are ready. I'd hate to be downed after spending $800+ on this thing.
    We are all one race. The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Thanks for posting. Will definitely take it easy for a while on the X-Maxx til upgrades are ready. I'd hate to be downed after spending $800+ on this thing.
    I agree
    This is the most I've spent on an RC at one time .
    IM going to take it easy at first too.

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    Your first break could have been a lot worse! The oil leak concerns me more than the shock cap.
    I have the same concerns - oil leak, shock cap, in that order.

RC Competitor
    I was getting excited about getting to have some fun with mine when it arrived, but being in Salt Lake as well, I am now concerned about running it in sub-freezing temps

RC Qualifier
    Shock limiting setup= Zipties
    Let the mods begin!

RC Competitor
    My Xmaxx is leaking shock oil from all 4 shocks as well just like yours.

Also, you are NOT the first to break one.
    A guy at our local hobby shop has broken the shaft completely out of the left rear shock and the truck is a paper weight for a few weeks.

On another note though, I accidentally crashed my Xmaxx at full speed!
    I was going top speed in the grass and I braked VERY hard because the parking lot was coming in fast, and the truck front flipped, went sideways and started cart wheeling at over 30 miles per hour and did about 8 to 10 NASTY cartwheels and then landed on the curb flipped again hit the concrete in the parking lot and kept flipping about three more times before it completely stopped... I was 100% sure I broke something and I wasn't even going to be mad because that was a nasty crash!!!!

I looked the entire truck over in very high detail and the only thing that happened is two of the wheels have a very very very slight wobble to them but that is to be expected (slightlyyyyy warped)

Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxximum View Post
    My Xmaxx is leaking shock oil from all 4 shocks as well just like yours.

Interesting... others seeing shocks leaking. Is it a real concern - how fast the oil coming out? Easy mod-fix for time being?

Wondering if Wolfslash has spoken with Traxxas to understand the situation yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Interesting... others seeing shocks leaking. Is it a real concern - how fast the oil coming out? Easy mod-fix for time being?

Wondering if Wolfslash has spoken with Traxxas to understand the situation yet.
    It's a rather slow leak, it's just enough to coat the spring retainer and rod end letting it sit overnight...

I haven't yet, I'm about to call them here in the next 5-10 min. I'll post back with what I find out and what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    It's a rather slow leak, it's just enough to coat the spring retainer and rod end letting it sit overnight...

I haven't yet, I'm about to call them here in the next 5-10 min. I'll post back with what I find out and what they say.

Cool - we're all looking forward to some feedback from Traxxas on this. I wonder if there is just a small interm measure to protect the shock, keep the oil from leaking. Someone did mention seal shocks with snot or similar, but wouldn't that require 4 shock rebuilds?

I take back what I said about it being a slight leak. I just looked at it while it was sitting on the counter, and it's leaking enough that there's shock oil running down the A-arm and dripping a bit onto the ground...

I'm going to take a shock apart and see what's up. I have the green slime on hand here at my LHS, so I'll using a bit and of that see if it helps. I'll keep you guys posted...

EDIT: I just got a PM from TireSlinger, and he's sending me a shock cap.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-02-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I take back what I said about it being a slight leak. I just looked at it while it was sitting on the counter, and it's leaking enough that there's shock oil running down the A-arm and dripping a bit onto the ground...

I'm going to take a shock apart and see what's up. I have the green slime on hand here at my LHS, so I'll using a bit and of that see if it helps. I'll keep you guys posted...

EDIT: I just got a PM from TireSlinger, and he's sending me a shock cap.
    Is the problem the shock caps is the issue letter the oil out?

Another X-MAXX above is seeing oil leaks also, from all 4 shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Is the problem the shock caps is the issue letter the oil out?

Another X-MAXX above is seeing oil leaks also, from all 4 shocks.
    The shock oil is leaking out from the bottom of the shocks, coming out from the bottom seals. I'm hoping to find out why here in the next hour or so, and I'll post what I find.

Sounds good.

Strange, but hopeful update... The one shock I took apart yesterday looked completely fine, nothing wrong, and when I put it all back together and topped of the shock oil with 30wt (I'm assuming that's stock?) it seemed to have stopped leaking. Looking at it now, roughly almost 24 hours later, it still isn't leaking...? I'm not sure why but I'm going to take the other 3 apart and put them back together and see if they stop leaking. I'll let you guys know.

No need to keep two threads going for the same issue.
    The Super Derecho