Traxxas Employee

X-Maxx giant scale crawler?

11t pinion gear, 500k front diff oil and 1,000k rear diff oil turns the X-Maxx into a pretty decent giant scale crawler.

It kinda puts the E-Maxx to shame...

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    11t pinion gear, 500k front diff oil and 1,000k rear diff oil turns the X-Maxx into a pretty decent giant scale crawler.

Sounds great! Did you actually change the diff fluid and install an 11t pinion?

I'm sure they did, at least for testing purposes.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Sounds great! Did you actually change the diff fluid and install an 11t pinion?
    That's what I'm running now. It doesn't turn as sharply on pavement, but I'm not planning to use it much on pavement anyway.

That's what I'm running now. It doesn't turn as sharply on pavement, but I'm not planning to use it much on pavement anyway.

Very nice! Can you provide anymore thoughts on that configuration on its ability to climb vs stock confit? I think the stock diff fluid is 30 weight?

Wondering can the X-MAXX steering be adjusted for more steering range, via transmitter range settings, or with a max travel servo stop like EREVO?
    Thanks

Traxxas Employee
    Crawler X-Maxx vs stock is a big difference. For one thing 11t gives you way more torque and allows you much more low speed control. Stock gearing will cause cogging at crawling speeds so you cannot really creep along with the 15t gear anyway.

I tried crawling through big ruts with the stock diff fluid and the minute you get two wheels in the air, it's stuck there. That has definitely changed with thicker oil. I can get 3 wheels high-centered on a rock now and it will still climb.

Crawler X-Maxx vs stock is a big difference. For one thing 11t gives you way more torque and allows you much more low speed control. Stock gearing will cause cogging at crawling speeds so you cannot really creep along with the 15t gear anyway.

I tried crawling through big ruts with the stock diff fluid and the minute you get two wheels in the air, it's stuck there. That has definitely changed with thicker oil. I can get 3 wheels high-centered on a rock now and it will still climb.
    Thanks for the insight (for newbies like me)!

Traxxas has a 14t pinion available, do you think the Traxxas 14t pinion will be satisfactory to start out as a crawler (with heavy weight diff oil as described above of course).

Sounds like a fun little winter project.

Traxxas Employee
    14t is still a little big. I would use 11t or 12t.

14th probably wouldn't do much with the stock spur(54). If a bigger spur was avail then a 14 could be useful.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

This is not a crawler, it is a monster truck.

Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    14th probably wouldn't do much with the stock spur(54). If a bigger spur was avail then a 14 could be useful.
    Cool, thanks. While I am not interested in turning the X-MAXX into a "pro crawler", having some improved characteristics to help with crawling could be fun, as described in the first post above.

14t is still a little big. I would use 11t or 12t.
    Thanks.

With the module design of the X-MAXX I would guess it was pretty straight forward in getting at and removing the diffs? What about for newbies accessing diffs and changing the oil? Any thoughts tips to share?

mod1..............
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC Racer
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    When you find a good place with the right lines it's a lot of fun to drive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I wonder if you can rob a brushed motor from a Power Wheels. Or an EZ Go... 😀
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I wonder if you can rob a brushed motor from a Power Wheels. Or an EZ Go... 😀
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/301813005365

A nice 20v dewalt could work well. I cant wait to see the awesome mods people will do to the x maxx in the next 2 years..... my wifes is coming soon she said she wanted a crawler so i got her an XMAXX, this mod looks very cool cant wait to take it to the crawling spot

"500k diff oil in front, 1000k diff oil in rear".

Why different oil in front vs rear? And why heavier oil in the rear?

I would imagine for a looser diff in the front for better steering at speed. Which I'm not sure is really the best way to do a true crawler, if that's your main goal. If anything, it seems most guys have the front locked, or heavier oil up front for crawling.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I would imagine for a looser diff in the front for better steering at speed. Which I'm not sure is really the best way to do a true crawler, if that's your main goal. If anything, it seems most guys have the front locked, or heavier oil up front for crawling.
    Good point, orignal post by emaxxdude did mention a change in steering on pavement, not turning as sharp as stock with the heavier than stock oil in the front.

The more open a diff is, the greater the difference can be in speed between the left and right tires, and the tighter the steering can be. The closer it is to being locked, the worse the steering will be because the inside tire can't slow down as much.

nice truck