Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Wheel/tire options?

I have a few questions. If the Xmaxx is 24 mm hex will other 1/5 scale wheels bolt right up ? ( Losi 5ive, hpi5t , and dbxl) or can they be easily modified to bolt on ? Also if any one has some stock dbxl wheels and an Xmaxx wheel that could post what they each weigh? (I'm hoping the dbxl is a lot lighter and make the truck a little quicker since its skinnier but almost as tall as stock Xmaxx. Thanks for any info you have !
    Last edited by Holdenracing; 12-04-2015 at 05:03 AM.

RC Racer
    All I know is there are 24mm hexes, but 17mm nuts, so I guess the holes in 1/5 scale 24mm wheels will be too large. But it should be possible to design some special nuts I guess, we just have to wait until some aftermarket company does it

RC Competitor
    Oh maybe even bearings that could fit in that space ?

Hopefully someone on here has a dbxl AND got one of the early release Xmaxx so they can try it out and let us know .
    Last edited by Double G; 12-04-2015 at 08:00 AM. Reason: merge, clutter reduction

RC poster
    Also interested in which tires will become available from third parties

I am also. More so for softer tires maybe? Don't know for sure, since I don't have the X-MAXX.... Yet.

There will be plenty tire choices.

I don't feel there's a need for different tires, the stock ones on mine do great. That being said, I do like different wheel and tire combos just for looks.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Imagine what the prices for the aftermarket wheel/tire combos are going to be! If the stock ones hold up to my standards i'll stick with them for sure.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Competitor
    Well , for one if you already own a 1/5 scale and have tire options that helps . But if they fit it means there already IS other choices out there if you want something specific. My thought is reducing the unsprung weight is going to cause less wear on the rig. So more longevity and as a side effect less strain on the motor accelerating and braking, therefore less heat. But I'm sure people have LOTS of other reasons they would like to be able to run currently available tires/wheels. Wolfslash you don't have a 1/5 scale around you can look at side by side ?

RC Qualifier
    Proline etc will be all over this, dont worry

I personally think it looks under wheeled, Im hoping Proline bring out some "40 series" equivilants.

RC Competitor
    Can someone with an xmaxx check to see if the tire/wheel has a different diameter front to back like the short course trucks? Kinda looks that way from the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Can someone with an xmaxx check to see if the tire/wheel has a different diameter front to back like the short course trucks? Kinda looks that way from the pics.
    It is.

Here's a good picture.

RC Competitor
    Wolfslash , unbolt one of those wheels and weigh one of them for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenracing View Post
    Wolfslash , unbolt one of those wheels and weigh one of them for us!
    Ha ha ok I'll do that tomorrow when I'm work, we have a super accurate scale I can use.

RC Racer
    Xeah, I'd be interested in the weight of such a wheel also. Please make sure they're dry before you weigh them

RC Competitor
    I still haven't been able to fine the dbxl wheel/tire weight anywhere yet either? Nobody here owns one ?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ha ha ok I'll do that tomorrow when I'm work, we have a super accurate scale I can use.
    How's this project coming ? Seeing exploded diffs makes me want to get rid of rotating weight even more so, and it would make the most sense to do it on day one if I can since parts MIGHT be a lot harder to get when everyone gets and (maybe) breaks it in the first few days .

How's this project coming ? Seeing exploded diffs makes me want to get rid of rotating weight even more so, and it would make the most sense to do it on day one if I can since parts MIGHT be a lot harder to get when everyone gets and (maybe) breaks it in the first few days .
    Oh my bad I completely forgot...

I'm at work now, give me a few min to quickly weigh one...

EDIT: Never mind. The scale maxed out at 6 pounds....
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-09-2015 at 06:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    Just unbolt one wheel and tire and set it on the scale by itself. I can guarantee it's less than 6 pounds !

RC Competitor
    So were just going to leave it at that ?!? Let the general population believe there is over 24 pounds of wheels on this truck ?!?! It's a 20 pound rig ... The wheels can't weigh that much. Lets get an answer to this so this rumor of 6 pound wheels doesn't spread around the internet like wildfire .

I"m not kidding. The scale maxed out at 6 pounds. The scale I used is used to balance large helicopter blades, so I'd say its pretty accurate. I'm working on finding a way to weigh the tire, I just don't have a good scale that doesn't max out. I'll find a way to weigh them here in the next day or so.

RC Competitor
    The x-maxx weighs 19.1 pounds . It is not mathematically possible to have a 6 pound wheel/tire. That would be 24 pounds of wheel and tire alone.

RC Champion
    You sure it's not 6lbs for the whole set of tires? Those trucks are heavy, but not that heavy.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Competitor
    I'm hoping/thinking maybe the scale was set to ounces ?

RC Enthusiast
    The x-maxx weighs 19.1 pounds . It is not mathematically possible to have a 6 pound wheel/tire. That would be 24 pounds of wheel and tire alone.
    Maybe it weighs 19.1 pounds without the wheels & tires on it.

I have a better digital scale at home, I'll use it to weigh them when I get home tonight from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I have a better digital scale at home, I'll use it to weigh them when I get home tonight from work.
    Wolfslash - your dedication to reviewing, running and reporting back to us (soon to be X-MAXX owners, soon soon soon!) is appreciated! Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Wolfslash - your dedication to reviewing, running and reporting back to us (soon to be X-MAXX owners, soon soon soon!) is appreciated! Thanks dude.
    I'm just glad I can help everyone with the itch to have one, and answer people's questions. Again, just ask if there's anything I can help with.

RC Enthusiast
    After seeing the pic posted by wolfslash, it appears this truck uses wheels that are unique and specific. Quite possibly the tires as well. So if you have a set of big wheels / tires laying around, there's a chance they might not fit.

Okay guys, I have the verdict! I weighed the tires last night, they came out to be 1.51 pounds, so basically 1 1/2 pounds. I double checked that it was calibrated and everything. Apparently the scale I tried to use at my lhs is broken, so that's why the reading was so far off.

RC Competitor
    Wolfslash , thanks for getting to the bottom of this ! Much appreciated ! Now I just need to get my hands on a dbxl wheel.

RC Competitor
    So does anyone out there have an x-maxx and a 1/5 scale they can try a wheel swap on ?

RC Enthusiast
    I do have both the X maxx and the dbxl also the 5ive and lots of different tire and wheel sets so today I will be trying my 1/5 tires and wheels on the X maxx and let you know how they fit. I will also get a weight of the stock dbxl tire/wheel.

RC Enthusiast
    Well here is the bad news . No the dbxl wheels will not fit as traxxas has made the hub in a 24mm flower design and the other 1/5 scale wheels are just a 24mm hex. Also the offset will not allow the dbxl wheel to clear the hub carrier as the X maxx wheel is a lot deeper and larger in diameter at the back of the wheel. The weight of the dbxl wheel and tire is 1 lbs and is shorter in height and skinnier than the X maxx. I also tried the 5ive and hpi baja wheels and without extended axles or a lot of moding looks like for now we will be using the stock tires and wheels until a after market company comes up with new ones for us.

RC Enthusiast
    Forgot to mention that the wheel nut will not hold a different wheel without some kind of washer as it is only 17mm and the size of hole on the 1/5 scale wheels is almost that size leaving barely any material to grab.

RC Racer
    I actually think the stock tires are perfect. Not to hard not to mushy and just when you think its gonna flip over the rear just slides enough to not flip. I think giant soft prolines would make to much traction and be flippy. Thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfueled1 View Post
    I actually think the stock tires are perfect. Not to hard not to mushy and just when you think its gonna flip over the rear just slides enough to not flip. I think giant soft prolines would make to much traction and be flippy. Thats just me
    I feel EXACTLY the same way honestly.

RC Enthusiast
    My wifeboughtme one for Christmas. All I can say isWOW! The things less a big model than a small off-road vehicle. Got it 8 feet in the air and 30- ft jumps! And I had a small ramp!! Buy one now!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

These are the 1st aftermarket wheels/tires I've seen listed: http://kershawdesigns.com/X-MaxxTires.htm

RC Competitor
    Guess I'll be waiting on someone to make adapters. I like that the dbxl wheels are around 30% lighter. The kershaw wheels seem to be the exact same ones they have listed for other 24mm hub applications, I wonder if they have already made some sort of mounting kit ?

Edit: I also mounted a motor fan so the fact that the dbxl tires are about a quarter inch shorter doesn't bother me because I can just adjust gearing.
    Last edited by Holdenracing; 12-26-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast