Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor

X-Maxx paper weight :( Broke the rear differential

Well this sucks.
    Right after that last skatepark video I was hearing a clicking noise in the rear of the car and I could not figure out what it was... today it got worse and worse and then it got REAL bad.

I picked it up in the air and I noticed that if I spun the rear wheels to a certain spot I could basically free spin the rear wheels (in the same direction) and the front wheels would be still. It also binds up.

I haven't taken it apart yet but I'm 100% sure there is 1-2 teeth missing from the ring gear.

Here's video:

https://youtu.be/XbJBuvPVUlQ

Ouch. Can you track it back to a certain event at the skatepark?

Have you had a chance to disassemble to verify it is the diff? And, are spare spares available for it yet?

Hope you can get it fixed soon!

RC Champion
    First thing to do when you hear noise is stop, take it apart and make find the problem.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^True that!!^^^

RC Competitor
    I'll be taking it apart today and will update this thread.

Going by the fact that I can literally feel the diff "jumping" when putting my hand on the rear bulkhead and the fact that I can spin the ring gear to that certain broken spot and then able to "free spin" the back tires in the same direction and the spur gear doesn't move with the access plate off (so I can see the spur gear) pretty much confirms the ring gear is toast.

I don't remember exactly when it started messing up but hopefully this isn't a sign that these trucks have weak diff's.

The diff looks pretty tough! Skatepark concrete may be tougher though...

Looking forward to your update.

doesn't sound like the ring gear. if you turn both rear wheels at the same speed in the same direction and the diff internals are intact, the ring gear turns. that would mean all the teeth on the ring gear are gone if you can keep turning it without turning the pinion gear. maybe the pinion gear lost some teeth and that's the 'dead spot' that allows the ring gear to keep turning. my guess is it's the pinion gear or something inside the diff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Interesting.

Why call it a "paperweight" though? from the looks of the body and your location of bashing at a SKATEPARK I'd say it was bound to happen. You probably either took a jump and landed with full throttle or landed not on all four wheels. Can we hear the specific action you did right before you started hearing this noise?
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Competitor
    Paper weight because there are no parts available lol.

I'll be calling Traxxas tomorrow.

I did make many jumps sideways and cart wheeling a few times.

Also, I did have to correct some jumps in mid air at full throttle so I could balance the truck. I always let off before hitting the ground though but I do understand that's some unbelievable stress that those parts go through.

I can't recall when it started clicking but it was sometime after 20 minutes of messing around at the skate park.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxximum View Post
    Gotcha. yea from the looks of it the diffs are pretty beefy so that had to be some hard bashing. Hopefully Traxxas would be able to hook you up but seeing that it's not even officially released yet you could be down for a minute.
    We are all one race. The human race.

just put the front diff in the rear and run her in 2wd.

RC Racer
    That sucks man we bashed the heck out of our truck at the skatepark without issue. Sorry to hear that you had an issue with you diff. Give us an update to the extent of the damage.

Here is the video of us bashing at the skatepark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6igvReHxg

Traxxas well get you taken care just communicate with them.

I'm sorry to hear that... Pictures of the damage if possible would be great.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that... Pictures of the damage if possible would be great.
    Agreed... Super curious.

RC Competitor

Ring gear broke!

It takes literally 5 minutes to pull the differential out.

It took me an hour to figure that out though lol.

RC Racer
    Bummer. I'm shocked that there is a diff problem already. What I like most about the XMaxx is the size of the diffs. Probably a good idea to take the diffs apart and properly shim them before her maiden voyage.

Darn. The picture doesn't work for me.

Anyway I'll say I'm surprised too, those diffs are super beefy and it's impressive you managed to break one. That being said, I'm not going to judge things yet, for as your truck was driven really hard at a stake park. Not that that's bad at all, it looks like a ton of fun, but it certainly didn't help the diffs out.

Time will tell if this is just a really uncommon issue, possibly an early batch problem, or is this is a fluke.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I'll bet shimming will make a difference! I've run a mini revo front wheel drive quite a bit. Lol. It was more fun than watching it prevent paper from flying off a desk.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

those are some big teeth to break off, nice work

everything cool inside the diff?

RC Qualifier
    Is it just me or does that diff look small?

RC Competitor

You just pull the back cover off and the whole differential slides out. SUPER SIMPLE!

[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/***z07.jpg[/IMG]

Pinion gear slides right out! (Splined)

RC Qualifier
    Sweet and now I can see the size of the diff, how tight is your slipper?

RC Competitor
    No idea but I'm pretty sure it is since it's sealed off. Ring, pinion, regrease it up and keep on going!

About 8 times easier to pull the rear diff. Out compared to my mini E-Revo

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMaxPro View Post
    Bummer. I'm shocked that there is a diff problem already. What I like most about the XMaxx is the size of the diffs. Probably a good idea to take the diffs apart and properly shim them before her maiden voyage.
    I don't think there is a diff problem.... Given the hard bashing, imho. Again, what ever diff, what ever model.... No match for skatepark concrete. Period.

No idea but I'm pretty sure it is since it's sealed off. Ring, pinion, regrease it up and keep on going!

About 8 times easier to pull the rear diff. Out compared to my mini E-Revo

Glad to here there is easier access to diff.

Looks like rust on the outer edge of the bearings.
    Last edited by jeteffect; 12-06-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: merge, use the edit button to add more information to your post rather than making a subsequent one

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    Is it just me or does that diff look small?

Here is a shot of the X-MAXX diff (upper left) Vs. ERevo diff (bottom right).

RC Racer
    I wouldn't call it shocking. Not bashing your driving but I would say it's from being full throttle when landing. I use to jump My Polaris Rzr and would do have to give it full throttle to do the gyro effect. Love your videos but you had to know it was coming.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo1988 View Post
    I wouldn't call it shocking. Not bashing your driving but I would say it's from being full throttle when landing. I use to jump My Polaris Rzr and would do have to give it full throttle to do the gyro effect. Love your videos but you had to know it was coming.
    I tried very hard (90% of the time) to be completely off throttle when landing. I do still understand that the wheel speed is up and there is still a large shock to the drivetrain.

RC Enthusiast
    The self righting might have had a part in that ring gear Breaking

RC Qualifier
    So would the fact it's still made of sintered crap pot metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfzrock11 View Post
    The self righting might have had a part in that ring gear Breaking
    Unlikely, imho, giving the bashing in a skatepark.

To the people saying to rebuild the diffs and re shim them. What would you use to shim them and where would you put the shim.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Without having it in hand, I don't know what shims will work. But, basically, you put thin shims between the diff output and the bulkhead on the side that will force the ring gear to mesh tighter with the pinion gear. There are lots of threads in here about shimming a mini e revo. It's the same concept and would be a similar process. And should be easy to do since the diff is so easily accessed.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    To the people saying to rebuild the diffs and re shim them. What would you use to shim them and where would you put the shim.
    Newbie alert...

Why would you want to shim the diffs, what is the purpose?

It keeps the gears from pushing apart and sliding past each other.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

After reading this, I took a look at my diffs just for fun. I had zero slop between my ring and pinion gear mesh and no side to side end play at all. I'm not sure you could even shim it even if you wanted to...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    After reading this, I took a look at my diffs just for fun. I had zero slop between my ring and pinion gear mesh and no side to side end play at all. I'm not sure you could even shim it even if you wanted to...
    You just answered the question I was about to ask... Sounds like there's little to no slop. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post
    You just answered the question I was about to ask... Sounds like there's little to no slop. Very nice.
    Yep! The bulkhead and diff area is also very stiff, I can't flex any of the parts at all. So I believe the way this diff broke was shear torque. Even if so this thing is so new we can't judge it yet off of one broken part.

RC Competitor
    Those parts are lookin pretty rusty already

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Unlikely, imho, giving the bashing in a skatepark.
    There's really zero way for you to be able to make that determination. Since when does driving an RC on concrete automatically equate to 'unsurprising' when a diff breaks? The answer is never, people ride on concrete all the time with no issues at all. I watched the skate park video and while I don't know what else the OP has done with his xmaxx, I do know I didn't see anything there that would give cause for a diff failure this early. There's no need to make excuses for this truck, I assure you, it has no feelings for you to hurt, and it's ok to say "yeah, that shouldn't have happened"

Now I don't know why it broke. It could be due to the OP driving it excessively hard, it could merely be a bad part that came off the assembly line, or it could even be an inherent and chronic problem with this truck. We simply don't know yet, but to automatically place the blame on a "skate park video" and eliminate the possibility that this COULD be a weak point on the truck just because you don't want to believe it could even be possible, is rather silly.

Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post
    I had the same question. Valuable post for sure.

Wolfslash, you getting an X-MAXX earlier has been educational for us! and fun as heck for you! Lol

Jimdog, thanks for clarification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast