Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 87
  1. #41
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    There's really zero way for you to be able to make that determination. Since when does driving an RC on concrete automatically equate to 'unsurprising' when a diff breaks? The answer is never, people ride on concrete all the time with no issues at all. I watched the skate park video and while I don't know what else the OP has done with his xmaxx, I do know I didn't see anything there that would give cause for a diff failure this early. There's no need to make excuses for this truck, I assure you, it has no feelings for you to hurt, and it's ok to say "yeah, that shouldn't have happened"

    Now I don't know why it broke. It could be due to the OP driving it excessively hard, it could merely be a bad part that came off the assembly line, or it could even be an inherent and chronic problem with this truck. We simply don't know yet, but to automatically place the blame on a "skate park video" and eliminate the possibility that this COULD be a weak point on the truck just because you don't want to believe it could even be possible, is rather silly.
    While I agree with some of what you are saying, I would also like to add my 2 pennies. Coming from experience, I have owned RC's for 20 plus years and have owned hundreds of vehicles, doing what he was doing at that skate park would have caused failure with any vehicle I have ever owned. Not making excuses for the ring gear loosing teeth, just stating the fact that I do not know any stock vehicle that would last very long in that situation.
    T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

  2. #42
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Is there a video from when this happened at the skate park?

  3. #43
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    If the parts are cheap, I wouldn't even care if this happens now and then, as easy as the diff seems to be to access. I thought the Slash was really easy!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  4. #44
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    The original poster has to know what happened. I mean, your diffs just don't start clicking like that for random and that's a big gear to shear off like that. I'm still waiting to hear what happened. From the looks of that body in the vid you can tell some heavy duty bashing was going on.

    I'm mostly leaning towards the cause being SKATEPARK HAVOC
    We are all one race. The human race.

  5. #45
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    5,642
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    If the parts are cheap, I wouldn't even care if this happens now and then, as easy as the diff seems to be to access. I thought the Slash was really easy!
    I'm feeling the same way. I drive my X-Maxx rather hard, and I haven't had any issues. And besides, I brand new ring gear is $7. $7!! Even if I do break one it's not hard to replace or fix it.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

  6. #46
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204
    Oh, it's just 7$? That's really cool.

    On most 1/8 scale trucks its more like 20-30$ and probably twice of that on 1/6th scale cars.

  7. #47
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    The original poster has to know what happened. I mean, your diffs just don't start clicking like that for random and that's a big gear to shear off like that. I'm still waiting to hear what happened. From the looks of that body in the vid you can tell some heavy duty bashing was going on.

    I'm mostly leaning towards the cause being SKATEPARK HAVOC

    It started clicking sometime on that day VERY faintly.

    Then it got worse and worse, then it got REAL bad like in the video posted in post #1 and that's when I said OK something definitely broke lol.

    I can't recall exactly when it broke because all I could hear was rain as it was raining that day.

    The ring gear is $6.55 and obviously no one has it in stock.

    I just got off the phone with Traxxas and they are sending me one for free when it becomes available. He said it could be within a week or within a month they don't really know yet as they don't have any replacement parts. They are sending me a pinion gear as well.

    and like I said, I made sure to ALWAYS let off throttle on landings to minimize the shock.
    This truck is definitely built tough though!


    That's a LOT of weight it's moving around.
    I'm just happy it's really really easy to pull the diff.

    Sucks to be me!
    Last edited by Double G; 12-07-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: language

  8. #48
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756
    It's really nice of Traxxas to take care of you on this one.

    Someone mentioned using the front diff in the rear for at least a 2-wd X-MAXX. Not even sure that is possible, but may get you back up and running til the new diff comes in?

  9. #49
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Is there a video from when this happened at the skate park?
    https://youtu.be/w67OSOyxF2w

  10. #50
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    It's really nice of Traxxas to take care of you on this one.

    Someone mentioned using the front diff in the rear for at least a 2-wd X-MAXX. Not even sure that is possible, but may get you back up and running til the new diff comes in?
    I'll just wait it out don't feel like messing with all of that lol.

  11. #51
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
    While I agree with some of what you are saying, I would also like to add my 2 pennies. Coming from experience, I have owned RC's for 20 plus years and have owned hundreds of vehicles, doing what he was doing at that skate park would have caused failure with any vehicle I have ever owned. Not making excuses for the ring gear loosing teeth, just stating the fact that I do not know any stock vehicle that would last very long in that situation.
    What did you see in that video would cause a diff failure in every single one of your hundreds of vehicles? He mentioned he was off throttle when landing the jumps, the entire area is wet so there's more wheel slippage and less stress on the diff then on dry pavement. I've only had dozens not hundreds of vehicles and none would have suffered a diff failure in those conditions. Some would have broken other things the way it landed a few times.

  12. #52
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxximum View Post
    I just got off the phone with Traxxas and they are sending me one for free when it becomes available. He said it could be within a week or within a month they don't really know yet as they don't have any replacement parts. They are sending me a pinion gear as well.
    Well I'm glad they are hooking you up man. Hopefully you had fun while it was running.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  13. #53
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baytown, Tx
    Posts
    169
    Now its to early to tell if the part was weak, defective or the failure in general was related to jarring of the gears. Heck with the bashing we did in our video im surprised we didnt break anything. And we were harder on our car than you were. Just by running any rc car you run the risk of breaking it. By picking up the remote and having fun you knowingly accept that risk. Cause at somepoint it eventually will break.

    In our video we were requested to prove the durability. People wanted to see some extreme bashing and thrashing. They wanted to see how the X-maxx would hold up to whatever was thrown at it. And we did just that. But I was willing to accept if it broke, it was most likely my fault. Plus I was willing to wait for more parts as i have other cars.

    But this is my analysis and professional opinion:

    I will have to say this about all that is seen in the pictures and the video:

    1. Water creates rust, that effects the bearings. If you get it in the water be prepared to clean and re oil your bearings.
    2. A skatepark can be fun and exciting but be prepared for the consequences if you break something. Skateparks are hard on the cars in general.
    3. Not letting off the throttle when you land will bring your gears to a sudden stop while they have power to them. That alone can kill a ring gear. But then again this is not just any ordinary gear its beefy got alot of metal and surface area. Driving your car into water almost full throttle also will jar the gear. You are coming to a sudden stop still. But even worse your still almost full throttling at the end of the video trying to get out of the water. That is also putting torque strain against the gears. Plus the truck seemed to be dragging pretty bad in the water that should have been a sign to ease out.

    Notes on prolonging use life:
    If your going to have fun and go crazy let off the throttle before landing.
    If you get into deep water dont full throttle to get out, ease it out.
    Re oil your bearings if you get them wet to prevent rust.
    Oil the metal components that are exposed as well, as rust can degrade and weaken the metal.
    Check your screws before and after each run.
    Loosen your slipper to prolong the life of your gear.

    Im pretty sure traxxas will get you taken care of.

  14. #54
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baytown, Tx
    Posts
    169
    Cool that they took care of you

  15. #55
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    75
    Also to remember, the slipper clutch was EXTREMELY loose in that skate park video, and was chattering.

    Yea that extreme bashing video was pretty crazy!

    Very impressive to say that you didn't break anything!

    When coming out of the water, though it seemed like it, I was only barely on the throttle.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-07-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: merge, clutter reduction

  16. #56
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greenacres, FL
    Posts
    72
    That is awesome that Traxxas's gonna take care of you; did they confirm once and for all what the slipper should be set to ? Apologies in advance if that's been posted already...

  17. #57
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    475
    Based on size, I'm unpleasantly surprised see the ring failed.
    Unless the bearings failed, I can only think that the floor models were released with the intent that those would be test vehicles.
    As for what i believe happened, i believe you probably got a bad diff. It looks like the diff broke due to an abrupt shock taken from the drive train, either when the vehicle landed or something. Since it weighs 21lbs, and can use the centrifugal forces of the wheels in movement to right itself, i have to assume those wheels are heavy. Landing that truck, even off throttle is not likely to abate the energy still built up within the moving wheels.

    Still I'm surprised to see this kind of damage, i thought this would take care of traxxas notorious Maxx Truck diff problems. And btw: the picks don't really show a clean sheer, but more a literal break. Like the ring looks like the teeth broke off, likely due to poor casting of the ring gear. I am assuming the ring gear is not forged too. I don't think this is driver error. But i wasn't there to see how you drove it.

  18. #58
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    Now its to early to tell if the part was weak, defective or the failure in general was related to jarring of the gears. Heck with the bashing we did in our video im surprised we didnt break anything. And we were harder on our car than you were. Just by running any rc car you run the risk of breaking it. By picking up the remote and having fun you knowingly accept that risk. Cause at somepoint it eventually will break.

    In our video we were requested to prove the durability. People wanted to see some extreme bashing and thrashing. They wanted to see how the X-maxx would hold up to whatever was thrown at it. And we did just that. But I was willing to accept if it broke, it was most likely my fault. Plus I was willing to wait for more parts as i have other cars.

    But this is my analysis and professional opinion:

    I will have to say this about all that is seen in the pictures and the video:

    1. Water creates rust, that effects the bearings. If you get it in the water be prepared to clean and re oil your bearings.
    2. A skatepark can be fun and exciting but be prepared for the consequences if you break something. Skateparks are hard on the cars in general.
    3. Not letting off the throttle when you land will bring your gears to a sudden stop while they have power to them. That alone can kill a ring gear. But then again this is not just any ordinary gear its beefy got alot of metal and surface area. Driving your car into water almost full throttle also will jar the gear. You are coming to a sudden stop still. But even worse your still almost full throttling at the end of the video trying to get out of the water. That is also putting torque strain against the gears. Plus the truck seemed to be dragging pretty bad in the water that should have been a sign to ease out.

    Notes on prolonging use life:
    If your going to have fun and go crazy let off the throttle before landing.
    If you get into deep water dont full throttle to get out, ease it out.
    Re oil your bearings if you get them wet to prevent rust.
    Oil the metal components that are exposed as well, as rust can degrade and weaken the metal.
    Check your screws before and after each run.
    Loosen your slipper to prolong the life of your gear.

    Im pretty sure traxxas will get you taken care of.

    Great points! I'm learning a lot from being involved in this forum and a new comer to RC Trucks !!

    I'm glad Traxxas took care in this situation. However, I would not personally expect that all the time given bashing session in a concrete skatepark.

    I keep going back to the fact that, unfortunately, no matter which model available out there, our models are no match for concrete, period.

    I am glad you will be getting a diff soon!
    Last edited by jeteffect; 12-07-2015 at 02:33 PM.

  19. #59
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    415
    Not really impressed by the diff.if this is all it took then maybe i just bash my trucks rougher than others,i really doubt they can handle 8s like some members have been planning . But 6.55 for a ring gear that is dirt cheap .
    Last edited by Dodgeviperred; 12-07-2015 at 09:29 PM.

  20. #60
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeviperred View Post
    Not really impressed by the diff.if this is all it took then maybe i just bash my trucks rougher than others,i really doubt they can handle 8s like some members have been planning . But 6.55 for a ring gear that is dirt cheap .
    Don't forget there is another more aggressive bashing video on here where no damage happened.

  21. #61
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    I really think we need more than a handful of running trucks, and one incident to make a reasonable opinion either way.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  22. #62
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Here is a shot of the X-MAXX diff (upper left) Vs. ERevo diff (bottom right).
    It's to scale, made out of the same metal as the strip-o-matic. How is it going to be any different?

  23. #63
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,368
    From my many years in RC, everything can break. Considering the power the brushless puts out, the rotational mass of the drive train/motor at high RPM and the weight of the tires, I'm surprised the damage isn't worse. Weather your on the throttle or not on landing, if those tires are spinning, they come to a sudden stop when they hit the ground and slam everything up to the motor very hard...

    I run nitro, so I don't have the additional rotational mass of the motor when I land, it still slams on landing I'm sure, but the trans can free spin due to the clutch if I'm off the gas.

    I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen more on some of the 1/8th scale brushless stuff out there that doesn't run a clutch on the pinion..
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  24. #64
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Multirotor View Post
    It's to scale, made out of the same metal as the strip-o-matic. How is it going to be any different?
    That's really what it's going to come down to. If it's the same pitch and same material as the erevo diff, they are not going to be any more durable, less so actually given the added weight and torque.

  25. #65
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baytown, Tx
    Posts
    169
    It held up plenty for us. Just a few incidents is not enough to decide...
    Last edited by Double G; 12-08-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: language

  26. #66
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,860
    I'm not saying it's a crappy truck, just saying that if the pitch and materials are the same then it's not really going to be much stronger. In normal usage it would last longer due to the normal wear and tear being distributed over more teeth, but unless there's more surface area between the ring and pinion, the same strong sheering forces that destroy an erevo diff can just as easily destroy an xmaxx diff.

  27. #67
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Dont think it is the same Pitch as the eRevo Diffs.

  28. #68
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    switzerland
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I really think we need more than a handful of running trucks, and one incident to make a reasonable opinion either way.
    that is so true!
    Exercitatio artem paravit

  29. #69
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    5,642
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I really think we need more than a handful of running trucks, and one incident to make a reasonable opinion either way.
    Yea that's pretty much what I'm thinking right now.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

  30. #70
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baytown, Tx
    Posts
    169
    Agreed. And after talking with traxxas they have had only one person call about a diff. Which was in regards to this post. So to say there is a problem with the diffs right now is far fetched as there is not enough statistics let alone warranty and claims to back it.

  31. #71
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baytown, Tx
    Posts
    169
    So i say lets put this one to rest and let time tell us as more people run the x-maxx. Cause if there begins to show a trend of issues we will see it.

  32. #72
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    Agreed. And after talking with traxxas they have had only one person call about a diff. Which was in regards to this post. So to say there is a problem with the diffs right now is far fetched as there is not enough statistics let alone warranty and claims to back it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    So i say lets put this one to rest and let time tell us as more people run the x-maxx. Cause if there begins to show a trend of issues we will see it.
    Agreed on all points.

  33. #73
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    5,642
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Agreed on all points.
    Same here. Time is the best judge here.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

  34. #74
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    90
    All I can say is I'm impressed at the beating It took, for a 20 lb. truck.
    I read a lot of threads and wonder how do people break that part so much.
    I guess I'm a bashing noob, LOL.

    My brother has one coming, I'm waiting to see it before I decide to get one.
    It's a little to big for the area we run.

    I guess you guys know how to drive it like you stole it.
    Thanks for the video.
    Fix it it till it's broke.

  35. #75
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,368
    I wonder if they are going to scale it down and make a 1/10th or 1/8th scale of this rig.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  36. #76
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I wonder if they are going to scale it down and make a 1/10th or 1/8th scale of this rig.
    They already have. It's called a Stampede 4x4!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  37. #77
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    They already have. It's called a Stampede 4x4!
    not to forget the e-maxx 4x4

  38. #78
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    switzerland
    Posts
    287
    hm from the standpoint of structrual similarities the stampede 4x4 is imho much more of a "small" x maxx than the e maxx.
    Exercitatio artem paravit

  39. #79
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by rhylsadar View Post
    hm from the standpoint of structrual similarities the stampede 4x4 is imho much more of a "small" x maxx than the e maxx.
    This is what I was meaning. I excluded the emaxx because the design isn't the same. But, effectively, it's a 1/8 scale similar truck!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  40. #80
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Salado Tx
    Posts
    162
    Just my 2 cents but my renewed experience with 4x4 RC trucks is the same as with real 4x4 off road rigs that when "bashing" in 4 wheel drive that the surface your running on has to have some give to it also to help avoid any driveline damage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •