RC poster

Battery Storage?

Hello all,

I have two NiMH batter packs, both 8.4v but one is a hump pack with 3000mah and the other is a 7 cell traxxas pack. My question is I charged them up today but was unable to use them to drive the car around today 🙁 Is it ok to leave them charged overnight as I plan to drive tomorrow? They are unplugged and laying on my workbench😀

Thanks all.

RC Competitor
    I don't see any problems at all. NiMh's are quite tolerant. And leaving them charged overnight wont harm them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nimh packs are best stored at full capacity. If after charging the pack sets for a day or more, re-peak it on the charger just before running. After use, allow the pack to cool down, then charge fully and run again or store fully charged.

RC poster
    I must say Im really confused. This is what is says on the traxxas site :

"Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries should be fully discharged before charging, and should be stored fully discharged (just use the battery in your R/C vehicle until the battery can no longer move it). "
    https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-Battery-Basics

It doesn't say for how long...what to do if storing for say 6 months?

I would listen to jakey. He knows batteries pretty well. I always store my nimh batteries fully charged. And I top them off occasionally.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    That seems to agree with everything else I'm reading. Very strange though that the company that sells the batteries is saying exactly the opposite.

In any case i was expecting someone would sell a storage/maintenance charger that would automatically cycle on once a week or whatever. All I'm hearing is that I'm supposed to remember to do that manually.

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    When my batteries are not in use I leave them fully charged and if not used within a month I top them off again, never had a problem and I still use my stock batteries every now and then.

RC poster
    I came here to ask this very question. I charged my 3000mAh Traxxas branded NiMH battery that came with my Slash 4x4 a few days ago. But is was quite wet and cold for the past few days and I was concerned about leaving it fully charged over many days. I've always been told not to leave a Lipo fully charged for too long. From what I read above, this concern is not the case for NiMH batteries. Good to know.