RC poster

Question Gifted a TMaxx - engine locked up

All,
    I as gifted a Nitro TMass. I believe it 10+ years old and was never started. So I took it to the local hobby shop. It needed new air filters, new servos (completely locked up), some shock oil and gas which they recommended. They advised me it would start right up.
    The Tmaxx did start right up but after the first break in period it seems that the engine is locked up. I try to start the Tmaxx (electric start), the engine it sounds like it tries to turn over but then just stops. This is my first nitro car so I am completely lost. I was also gifted a nitro rustler which I can't get to run also, but that is another post. Picture at link (because why not) http://imgur.com/Vfa1cFD.

These engines are not like your auto or lawnmower engines which have rings on the piston to keep compression in the cylinder. The cylinder is tapered like a cone that gets smaller at the top so the piston gets pinched on its way up. IF it is a new engine, this is normal and what will help is to squirt a little WD-40 through the glow plug hole and turn the engine over. Replace the plug, heat up the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer and then restart.
    You could also go through the Support tab and do a search for ".15" and you'll find the manual for the engine as well as the T-Maxx.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thank you for the reply. In my great thought process, for some reason I did not search the interwebs for an answer. I got the engine turning over now. I took off the heat sync (not sure of the proper terms), took the cylinder out and used the wondrous WD-40. I can see myself putting too much time and money into this hobby.

Well you didnt need to do all that lol. Just take out the glow plug with an 8mm (or sae equivalent) socket and that will give you just enough access inside the engine. If you did take off the heat sink (called cylinder head or cooling head), make sure you use some loctite on those screws that you took out and keep an eye on them while your running your maxx as they like to vibrate loose.

Your engine is basically brand new so it will be hard to turn over when its cold for the first few cycles. Once it warms up, the fit between the cylinder and piston will loosen up a little and your engine will be easier to turn. That is why you should apply some heat to the cylinder head before you try to turn it over at first. I used a blow torch as I didnt have a hair dryer or heat gun available. Just use caution and common sense and there shouldnt be any catastrophe.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster
    I believe I tried to use the WD40 in the cylinder before I decided to take it all apart. I did get to learn some more about the engine by taking it apart. I am not sure if i would be brave enough to put use a torch to heat up the engine. With my luck, the whole truck would go up in flames.