RC Qualifier

Everything About Settings In Traxxas Link App!!

Me. Ron_Dog and Electromen wanted to start this thread because there are alot of questions about setting up the Traxxas Link App. I am from the Netherlands so English isnt the best but I'm trying.

Myself got the app setup without any problems and find it very easy to adjust and update the reciever and transmitter.
    I run the Android app on a HTC ONE M7
    I got the Tsm reciever with telemetry setup within the reciever itself so I dont have the telemetry expander or the gps installed. I find the price for the two a little over the top as i first wish to upgrade my Rustler VXL. I got temp/volt sensor and rpm/speed setup.

Here is a picture of my dashbord.

Got the engine temp warning at stock settings thats 62.8 celsius.
    Last edited by benster1; 12-14-2015 at 08:18 AM.

RC Qualifier

Setup still al stock.

RC Qualifier
    Here is solution for the powertap having an old traxxas connector only

RC Qualifier
    Here's a video explaining the Link app "Drive Effects" and the Multi-function Knob.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

I like the app...works great. I use my radio for 2 trucks. My Slash has the telemetry so I use the dashboard to watch vital signs. Then I grab my Rustler...it has no telemetry but for some reason the steering servo is reversed. No problem, couple clicks in the app and I'm good to go. The cool thing is once it's setup I never have to touch it again. It automatically links to the truck that's on and uses the setup for it. Lots easier than pushing buttons to work your way through the blinking lites menu. It's a great app and it's free!! I'm using it on a Samsung Galaxy S6...had it on a Galaxy S4 prior to the S6...worked great there also!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    That why I like the app also. You can set many profiles and like one for different roads and surfaces. I had to set the app up so that it keeps screen on when the dashboard is active.
    Traxxas did a great job here...

RC Qualifier
    The easy setting to trainingmode is very easy as you can set it to absolute minimum procent for my 5yo son to learn to drive...

RC Qualifier

Now if could just figgure this out!!
    My speed is 38 (on the stand) now look at the topspeed its saving 24??

Very strange

RC Competitor
    Top speed indicator never really worked properly for me either. It feels like it records the top speed right until you slow down again for the first time. After that, even if you go faster than before, the top speed won't change.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like traxxas needs to fix that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by benster1 View Post

Now if could just figgure this out!!
    My speed is 38 (on the stand) now look at the topspeed its saving 24??

Very strange
    I'm assuming the speed is calculated from RPM and not GPS, is that correct?
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    I'm assuming the speed is calculated from RPM and not GPS, is that correct?
    Yes that is correct. The expander and the gps module are yet to be installed. But it cost 130 euros total. Way to expensive right now. First upgrade my rusty more. The temp. And voltage are the main thing that i am after...

Quote Originally Posted by benster1 View Post
    Looks like traxxas needs to fix that.
    I never noticed that. I usually just hit the reset then take it out on the street and do a fly-by, then check the top speed. I know it's not completely accurate but it's fun to check once in a while. 54 mph is my best so far with my Kershaw 2700kv on 3s geared 17/54 on SC tires.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    For me its inportant to have the engine temp to read. The speed or rpm isnt as accurate as gps. Heat it my enemy on 3s . Geared 21/83 and after a full lipo pack its about 75 celsius. So I let it cool off...

RC Qualifier
    I figured out what the deal is with the topspeed. If you reset it then it will register only the first run. So when you brake or slow down it will not messure anymore. Then reset it again and do another run.

RC Competitor
    I think it's even worse. Yesterday I finally had a chance to run my rally again. According to the CSV export, it maxed out at about 70km/h. Yet the "top speed" indicator never went above 40 or so. Which doesn't even come close, unless the top speed indicator is fixed at mph instead of the configured km/h. Have yet to create graphs of the runs. But I doubt there'd be dips in speed on every run.

RC Qualifier
    I send an email to traxxas support maybe they can clear it up.

Maybe its set om mp/h isto km/h

RC Qualifier
    Got an email from traxxas.

Gonna try it later....

RC Competitor
    Not likely gonna help. I've seen the same behavior on multiple installs, on multiple phones.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it isnt helping...

RC Competitor
    Unless I forget to do so, I enable recording on all my runs anyways. That way I can just throw all data into excel and analyze/graph it easily ;-) But still, having a "real-time" top speed readily available would be a nice gimmick.

RC Competitor
    Benster1, did you ever get any further with Traxxas support on this?

RC Qualifier
    No. I didnt. Still waiting for n update for the app. I know its just software cause the speed is very good displayed. It needs to remember the highest number of km/h. How hard can it be...

RC Competitor
    Ah, ok. Btw, I noticed another oddity in the app today: my telemetry setup consists of the "normal" voltage tap + temperature sensor, and the expander including GPS and another temperature sensor. All is detected nicely in the app as to be expected. But when I export recorded data to CSV, it lists RPM, Temperature, voltage and speed. So it gives me useless RPM "data" (always zero), and only one temperature. Now that I think of it, it's actually a regression. I did have 2 temperatures in earlier versions Guess I should fire off some mails towards Traxxas as well ;-)

RC Qualifier
    Yeah ask traxxas to clear that up for you. I just want the realtime data to be displayed correct. Its mph not kmh thats displayed in topspeed. Cant change that. Today btw my voltage cable that was soldrd to the esc plug came off. Bad soldering on my part. It didnt display neither the voltage (offcorse) but the temp was gone also. So it cannot display temp either if the voltage cable is disconnected. ( just for the record ). Traxxas got some updating to do after christmus haahaha.... Mainly the topspeed indicator to set for mph or kmh and just display it correct not just one run

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tun0nl View Post
    Ah, ok. Btw, I noticed another oddity in the app today: my telemetry setup consists of the "normal" voltage tap + temperature sensor, and the expander including GPS and another temperature sensor. All is detected nicely in the app as to be expected. But when I export recorded data to CSV, it lists RPM, Temperature, voltage and speed. So it gives me useless RPM "data" (always zero), and only one temperature. Now that I think of it, it's actually a regression. I did have 2 temperatures in earlier versions Guess I should fire off some mails towards Traxxas as well ;-)
    What do you mean Export recorded data to CSV? How do you do that?
    EDIT: I figured it out
    Last edited by Electromen; 12-26-2015 at 05:47 PM.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries