Thread: Moose's SRT

Moose's SRT

Hello all,

I've been drooling over the SRT for over 2 years now. I've practically memorized the exploded views, I've read almost every build thread, and I've loved the design of it.

With Project 70 out of it's Ultimate Rustler copy form, and most of the original parts are being replaced, I now have a ton of parts strewn about my parts bins. Now that I'm in a final move until college, I thought, "hey, why not build that SRT?" So I did.
    I'm going to have to order a few more things to get it fully working (mostly the gearbox, a shock tower, and the body), but I do have most of the parts in my shop.

Starting with the rarest parts:

Did anyone but me think to check Traxxas.com for these parts? They were all in stock here, so these are all from the manufacturer. Really low prices for NIB! Sweet!

I've started a bit of the build thanks to the manual from danielhr77. Thanks so much dude!

More to come as the truck gets completed.
    Last edited by MooseSlash; 12-16-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    Did anyone but me think to check Traxxas.com for these parts? They were all in stock here, so these are all from the manufacturer. Really low prices for NIB! Sweet!
    Traxxas must have been holding out or maybe the guy I talked to just didn't know what he was doing. I called them a few years ago for pretty much every part you have pictured there, among others, and was told that none were available. Nice find!

RC Competitor
    I've been ordering SRT and TRX-3 parts straight from here lately. Call me crazy but I think Traxxas has busted out some molds and reproduced/restocked some parts. For a long while, the front TRX-3 Bulkhead was impossible to find, suddenly, Traxxas has them in stock. I also got one of those SrT chassis a couple weeks ago.

Some parts are still scarce, Motor Gaurd/Motor plate and Body.

I can see that, because for a while the upper deck was out of stock, and if you see the picture, it's in the new Traxxas packaging. Let's hope for the best.

Update: the truck is mostly assembled, the main chassis and steering assembly is all put together, I just need to get that gearbox, and I'll be good to go for the rest of it.

I'll tell y'all if the Nitro Rustler shock tower will fit once I'm done with it, it needs some Dremel work then I'm sure it will fit in.

Stay tuned...

Very nice! The SRT is one of my favorites too!
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Thanks, Daniel! Yeah, I can't wait to get this thing ready to go.

Update: I've been getting the truck assembled, the front is almost entirely ready, except a few e-clips, and the middle bits are also almost done. I still need the tranny and motor plate.

Pictures:

As she sits right now:

The front end from Project 70 Phase I:

Those posts are T4 front mounts, they're just screwed in from the back. Details for this assembly are at the Ultimate Rustler front end page.

The rear end, again some parts inspired by the Ultimate Rusty

And the gorgeous underbelly:

This is going very well. You may notice my mediocrely Jangified front arms. This will be remedied once all the parts are together. I will then dismantle the truck for a thorough tuning and cleaning of individual parts, including miscellaneous Jangification and parts upgrades. Don't worry, I will not touch any fiberglass with the Dremel.

I just need a body, some E-Clips, that cursed rear assembly, and some assorted hardware, and I believe the truck will be completed. Hobby store, here I come!

Lookin good man!
    Even though I've only owned one of these BITD, I have always loved the design. Good luck on your quest for the rest of the parts
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    Moose,

It's great that you have enough parts to get your SRT going. You have been wanting to do this for some time. Keep us posted. And Happy New Year!

Mark

I was able to build one bottom to top with currently available parts. The only thing I was not able to find was the rear shock tower and a body. Everything else was still available.

Thanks guys for all your support!

I've had to put down this project for a while for the sake of school. I have finals coming up, so by June I should be back full steam ahead! I just wanted to post this update.

I've found a shock tower that should work with the SRT (thanks to my friend who found it on eBay), and I'm about to order some hardware and a few plastic parts from A Main sometime soon. The good thing about being in Texas is the hobby shops that are quite close to here, as I have one within biking distance.

Stay tuned...