RC Qualifier

I chose the Alias

Was about to get a Phantom 3 until FAA came out with the beginning regulations. Didn't want to spend allot on my 1st quad copter until the rest of the regs come out so I decided to to get an Alias. Researched allot and watched videos. Seems to be a cool copter. Ordered a spare battery too. Any words of wisdom for a 1st time flyer? Spare parts I should get? Thanks

Get spare motors and spurs. For a beginner I recommend you take off quick and fly high. High enough to recover if you mess up. Also make sure you kill the throttle before you crash.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Do they have upgraded motors for these or maybe gears? Remember when I used to race RC cars back in the 80's that changing the gearing helped with speed. Didn't think traxx was still around until I looked up the alias. I started off with the frog. How things have changed over the years.

The gear ratio is set ans can't be changed. There are however faster aftermarket motors.

RC Qualifier
    Got it today. ordered a second battery. Should have ordered 4. Its fun for what I did. Cold and windy today so played in the house. Just learning to hover, turn and move side to side. Glad I didn't get the P3. This will do me until the rules come out. You said after market motors. Where? How about a little bigger battery? Should be nice a little next week so will go out and try my luck.

Alternative to bigger batteries is MORE batteries. With a parallel charge cable and a standard type battery charger, you can charge them all at once...if you know what you're doing.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-18-2015 at 11:32 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info. Will order some more batteries. How long do these batteries hold a charge? thinking of charging the night before to fly the next day. To bad you can't splice 2 batteries together for twice the flying time. To dangerous with these batteries probably. Hoping on a nice day tomorrow to try my luck. Will keep it in beginners mode until I get the hang of it. Trying to adjust the trim to get it to hover in one place but can't get the sweet spot. Is it do able or just use the controls?

They will easily hold a charge overnight. I try not to let them sit charged for more than one or two days.
    You could splice two together in parallel, but mounting would be tricky.
    Steady stationary hovering is not easy for me. I'm always on the controls.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

i cant hover either. the trims only work to get it close. wind will always mess up being able to hold a steady hover.

RC Qualifier
    Kind of figured just to get it close. The aton video looks like a step up from the alias that may have a little better controls. When I get comfortable with this, will order the aton. Glad I didn't order a P3 seeing the aton will do about the same thing but cost less.

RC Qualifier
    Had to go outside in the cold to try. Hit pretty hard. One rotor does not spin freely but turns when flying. Did I screw up the motor or alignment? Can hear it grinding a little but again it does spin. Suggestions? Glad I didn't spend allot to crash and burn.

You might have bent a shaft. Best to replace it before it takes a toll on your gear. I have flown using 2 batterys. I made a pigtail to connect them together and used strapping tape to hold the extra battery under the first one. You can tell it weighs more when you hit the throttle.

RC Qualifier
    Would think someone makes a splice cable or similar but heck if yours works, great. How much additional time can you fly with twice the power and weight? can you post a pic of your pigtail?

RC Qualifier
    Ordered a shaft pack, dual port charger and 2 new batteries this morning.

RC Competitor
    The Alias is my first quad. In the month-ish I've had it, its been pretty darn good.

I'd actually suggest practicing by flying low in an open space. Practicing hovering, side to side, forward, and back.. Small movements over small areas helps learn control without losing site or orientation. I'm still working on flying it when it is facing me.

One thing I learned the hard way was after a hard landing (aka crash) the quad wouldn't hover or fly right. I thought it was a bad motor. Took it to the LHS and they looked at it and thought it was a bad motor too. We replaced it and even cross wired motors to the board to see if there was an issue with the board. Well I was ready to send it to Traxxas when I read about resetting the accelerometer after a hard crash. I gave it a shot and all was returned to normal.

I only have a couple batteries by choice as a beginner. It makes me take a break after each flight to think about what I did right and wrong and bring down that excitement level. Makes me think what I want to practice/work on. As I get better I'll get more batteries.

The things I now have as spares are;

2 spare motors
    spare bearings
    Spare "spur" gears
    Spare prop shafts.

I noticed one prop took longer to spin up and it was first to shutdown. Quad was flying okay but seemed to drift a bit more than usual... upon inspection I had a blown bearing and an ever so slightly bent shaft...

RC Qualifier
    Parts on are the way but decided to take it apart to see what I was getting in to. Went with the possible bent shaft so that was ordered. But decided to take a close look. there was a tiny piece of what looked like metal gear tooth jammed in between the plastic teeth. Verified it wasn't on other sprockets. Took my knife to get it out. Bingo. Am flying again. I should have ordered a few motors too but to late. Will order them later. I do see how some props don't spin up as fast as others. How did you reset the accelerometer? Being cold outside, been practicing in basement like you said. Notice when I try to turn it the power drops. Still cannot get the hang of it facing me. Dislexic operation I guess. For now, I keep it on ***** mode.

Here's a good site to check out especially when you're learning:
    http://quadcopter101.blogspot.com/20...adcopters.html