Thread: Trail truck

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

Trail truck

I'm ready for someone to try setting one up like a trail and light duty crawler and see how it does! Ground clearance and approach angles don't look right to me, but I'd love to be wrong.

I'd like to have one set up like my telluride. Lots of travel but soft, diff lock putty, a big brushed motor, very soft tires with soft foams. A little nose weight.

I have the most fun with it. Crawls some obstacles and rocks pretty well, water and mud crossing, and still a little speed to blast ahead on the trail and do a donut, jump some ruts, etc. A large version would be big fun I think. And on paper it looks like the same truck, but Szalenski'd!

Honey I shrunk the kids but enlarged the stampede 4x4!
    Haha
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Sounds interesting, I like it. I'm in.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

I'm curious as to what brushed motor would be big enough, though. Maybe a dewalt of some sort. I'm sure there are few sensored brushless motors up to the task. Which is the route I took with my Telly. So I can crawl and still run 25 or so.

I'm sure there are probably no crawler compound tires available, but if these are decent, maybe scalloping the foams and siping them would be enough. Or perhaps stuff them with some Proline memory foams, which are huge. And still scallop and sipe.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 12-19-2015 at 02:59 PM.

I am totally in for this!

Here is a good start.

X-MAXX crawler first steps

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-scale-crawler

I would start sort of similar. Gearing as low as possible for sure. I don't like heavy fluid. It's still too loose. I'd go with diff lock putty or silly putty.

I don't think there is much adjustment to the suspension, but soft springs and soft fluid. You do want some ground clearance, but you also want some droop.

I'd buy some unmounted tires and either scallop stock foams, or try some crawler innovations foams, or proline memory foams. The at least take a look at siping the stock tires. Tirea are probably the single most important aspect in a crawler. Followed by locked or very limited slip diffs.

RC poster
    I wonder how the Summit's system would fit.

Might be worth taking a look. Maybe it would bolt in?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey305 View Post
    I wonder how the Summit's system would fit.

Might be worth taking a look. Maybe it would bolt in?
    I highly doubt it, though I have never had a Summit or an X maxx in my hands. That would be nice for both locked and unlocked characteristics, but the nearly locked performance of putty works for me. I have puttied diffs in a revo based crawler, and a telluride. It's great!