RC poster

Angry Help with pinion on sv3

So in my p4de I have a sv3 (4600kv) and im replacing a pinion atm. When the pinion is off the shaft, the grub screw tightens fine, all the way. However when I put the pinion on the shaft and try an tighten my grub screw, it seems like it starts to strip after it gets even moderately tight.

HELP!

I'm thinking loctiting my pinion + grub screw on.

Any other ideas??

RC Qualifier
    I always loctite mine. I have never had any issues with it stripping though when I tighten it. So it starts to freespin once it gets to a certain point? You are tightening it onto the flat spot on the shaft right?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cheap4rc View Post
    So in my p4de I have a sv3 (4600kv) and im replacing a pinion atm. When the pinion is off the shaft, the grub screw tightens fine, all the way. However when I put the pinion on the shaft and try an tighten my grub screw, it seems like it starts to strip after it gets even moderately tight.

HELP!

I'm thinking loctiting my pinion + grub screw on.

Any other ideas??
    If it keeps turning,you stripped it. Take it out and inspect the threads.Get a new grub screw and forget the lock tight altogether

I don't use loctite. If you stripped the threads you probably need a new pinion.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    Huh, I don't think the pinion could possibly be stripped, I bought it new from my LHS yesterday...

RC poster
    Yes I'm tightening onto the flat spot

RC Racer
    Check your wrench for wear,if it has any then replace it. That would actually be the first thing to strip since it is of softer material than the screw and pinion.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpickle View Post
    Check your wrench for wear,if it has any then replace it. That would actually be the first thing to strip since it is of softer material than the screw and pinion.
    Good point, what are you using to tighten the grub? Quality hex drivers are a must especially in this critical area.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler