Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My P4de

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Finally got it! It's gonna be fun...

2700kv motor...
    Ooh man that stinks, how will you get it to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Everborn128 View Post
    Ooh man that stinks, how will you get it to fit?
    See my other thread on the install.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

The rock crawlers!!

The rock crawlers!!
    What!? Where do those come from? That looks pretty awesome!

I noticed you put those white washers on the top of the body. I tried that and it doesn't help much. What I actually found that helps from the back of your body getting ripped up is put the washer under the body. You'll be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by WonderMelon View Post
    I noticed you put those white washers on the top of the body. I tried that and it doesn't help much. What I actually found that helps from the back of your body getting ripped up is put the washer under the body. You'll be surprised
    That was just temporary because previous owner had started ripping out holes so I did that just so body would stay on my first few sessions I ran it. Now it's all shoe goo under body and tough as nails.

Quote Originally Posted by czlynx View Post
    What!? Where do those come from? That looks pretty awesome!
    My basement lol. Thanks
    Last edited by Briber; 03-14-2016 at 01:07 AM.

All three of our trucks are currently down now.
    I traded my fully upgraded vxl to my daughter for her pink brushed p4de. The vxl has esc and motor fan, bumper lights, aluminum bearing adapter, revo slipper and mip drives. It's geared at 15/52 on 3s. It was like pulling teeth to get her to trade me a $300 truck for $600+ truck lol. She finally realized what she was getting and agreed. We were both running the trucks when agreement was made. As soon as we shook hands, she turns to me and says stop running my truck now!!!! Then proceeds to go ride her bike, Lmbo!!!! That's gratitude for ya......

Getting back to original statement, the vxl is apart for a chassis dye. She wanted pink so I've tried:
    RIT color neutralizer... didn't work.
    Vinegar... didn't work.
    Bleach... didn't work.
    Been to 3 different stores, they don't stock white dye. I will order it and let everyone know if that works when I try it. Another option I found was clear epoxy resin you can put color in. Didn't go that route for 2 reasons.
    1. Epoxy was 15.99 and red & white pigment would've been another 14.00.
    2. Afraid it's going to add signicant weight to truck causing me to gear it down so it doesn't run hot and loosing the speed.
    To be continued...

My original fully upgraded p4de with Kershaw 2700kv and WP-SC8 esc geared 15/50 on 3s lost front drive on last run. After tear down and inspection come to find I grenaded front diff. Here's the spider gears inside diff.
    I have xo-1 diff cups and gearing on order and am eagerly awaiting arival.

The pink one the was my daughters, which is a regular brushed p4de is now mine and will be my flat out speed runner conversion. I'm taking this build slow and doing it right. It will be getting this Castle 2200kv(on right compared to 3800kv on left) and plan on running it on 6s.My progress will be documented in this thread. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6190533
    Last edited by Briber; 04-05-2016 at 04:35 PM.

@ Dye: you can't remove the gray chassis color. You can't lighten it with a dye or a solvent without destroying the plastic in the process.
    You can dye it darker - but nowhere near pink - or apply a coating. I suppose epoxy might work but it's going to be costly and maybe hard to work with.
    I've had good luck with Krylon Fusion paint, but not on something as prone to abrasion as the bottom of a chassis.
    This is a 1:16 Summit VXL exocage, purchased new just to be painted, bead blasted, painted Sunbeam yellow, and left to cure:

The paint held up decently.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    @ Dye: you can't remove the gray chassis color. You can't lighten it with a dye or a solvent without destroying the plastic in the process.
    You can dye it darker - but nowhere near pink - or apply a coating. I suppose epoxy might work but it's going to be costly and maybe hard to work with.
    I've had good luck with Krylon Fusion paint, but not on something as prone to abrasion as the bottom of a chassis.
    This is a 1:16 Summit VXL exocage, purchased new just to be painted, bead blasted, painted Sunbeam yellow, and left to cure:

The paint held up decently.
    Why bead blasted? For paint? Wouldn't a light 600g scuff do? I found that epoxy resin but buy the time I buy pigments it's $30. I'm okay with that but just worried it's going to add to much weight. What do you think about the weight issue? Have you tried yourself to dye white? I've seen white dye online just not in store... Thanks for input! BTW that looks really good imo! Wonder if they make those for pedes????
    Last edited by Briber; 04-05-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Bead blasted because it took the mold release agent off and gave the paint more surface area for adhesion and because an awesome machinist offered to do it for me. A scuff would work but with such a complexly molded part, bead blasting was better, faster, and easier.
    Not sure about the weight issue. Depends on too many factors.
    Dyeing is adding color to a base material. If you ever find a white dye, let me know. I'm pretty sure I'll call it "bleach" or something very similar. Either that or it's a coating that has been inappropriately named. I've only been here since 2006, but in that time nobody has successfully dyed anything white, or even a lighter shade than that with which they started. As I alluded to before, removing color from plastics such as polyester or nylon is typically a destructive process.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Bead blasted because it took the mold release agent off and gave the paint more surface area for adhesion and because an awesome machinist offered to do it for me. A scuff would work but with such a complexly molded part, bead blasting was better, faster, and easier.
    Not sure about the weight issue. Depends on too many factors.
    Dyeing is adding color to a base material. If you ever find a white dye, let me know. I'm pretty sure I'll call it "bleach" or something very similar. Either that or it's a coating that has been inappropriately named. I've only been here since 2006, but in that time nobody has successfully dyed anything white, or even a lighter shade than that with which they started. As I alluded to before, removing color from plastics such as polyester or nylon is typically a destructive process.
    Got ya, Thank you!

RC Racer
    New chassis are pretty cheap on ebay. I got one sitting at home waiting for me to do a black dye job on it. Experiment and let us know how it goes.

You would prolly be best getting a quality spray paint and just have to live with touchups when you beat it up. Particularly on the bottom of the chassis. Maybe a clear coat over the paint would help?

I'm relatively new to the forums and have only seen Black dye job threads. Because you are starting with blah grey, I don't think other colors would look very good in dye.

I did dye some white RPM steering hubs on my emaxx many years ago. They looked more pink than red when I was done. If I did it again I would have gone BLACK. (No jokes now.)
    Last edited by Dmarzke; 04-06-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    New chassis are pretty cheap on ebay. I got one sitting at home waiting for me to do a black dye job on it. Experiment and let us know how it goes.

You would prolly be best getting a quality spray paint and just have to live with touchups when you beat it up. Particularly on the bottom of the chassis. Maybe a clear coat over the paint would help?

I'm relatively new to the forums and have only seen Black dye job threads. Because you are starting with blah grey, I don't think other colors would look very good in dye.

I did dye some white RPM steering hubs on my emaxx many years ago. They looked more pink than red when I was done. If I did it again I would have gone BLACK. (No jokes now.)
    I went ahead and dyed it with pink. After sitting for 2 hours the family said it looks maroon. Now that the chassis has soaked up a color I'm going to try and bleach it out to see what happens. If I can get that pigment whiteish we may have a chance at different colors. As ksb51rl said, along with deeper research myself, it doesn't look very promising. The epoxy with coloring added is probably best route if it doesn't make chassis to heavy. I'm definitely going to keep experimenting.

RC Racer
    Red and Blue also work fine for dye jobs, I've done both. Michael's sells the RIT white dye, I want to give it a shot just to see the results.

RC Competitor
    Looks awesome man!
    Adriano C.
    Moded 'Pede 44

Quote Originally Posted by CounterTrey View Post
    Red and Blue also work fine for dye jobs, I've done both. Michael's sells the RIT white dye, I want to give it a shot just to see the results.
    I called my local Michael's store and they don't carry it. There's a white wash and a color neutralizer by RIT but it's not a dye. I found some "white dye" but after looking at it closely as ksb51rl said it wasn't really a dye. I believe it to be more of a paint than a dye.

Got my xo1 diffs built and installed in p4de1 with 2700kv motor and put these monster wheels and tires on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Briber; 04-08-2016 at 02:31 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Got my xo1 diffs built and installed in p4de1 with 2700kv motor and put these monster wheel and tires on it.

Nice tires lol, glad to hear you got back running.

Got my xo1 diffs built and installed in p4de1 with 2700kv motor and put these monster wheel and tires on it.

Well those are rather large

Quote Originally Posted by WonderMelon View Post
    Well those are rather large
    Just a little bit lol

Thank you, yes they are! I hope to get a Bigfoot body painted for it by a friend...
    Special thanks to G-Pede! You rock my friend!

Last edited by Briber; 04-08-2016 at 02:40 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are you going to put bigger ones up front, or you plan on running it like that with small tire front and big on back?
    Wait Nevermind that question I had a brain fart there lmbo. The last pic seems like the front wheel/tire combo is still smaller then the back. But after my head came to me. I realized that proline doesn't make a 2.8 17mm desperado wheel.
    Last edited by Er33; 04-08-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Thank you, yes they are! I hope to get a Bigfoot body painted for it by a friend...
    Special thanks to G-Pede! You rock my friend!

No problem, and thank you for what I'll be getting in the mail soon

Had to cut out wheel wells, loosing fender flares , and running boards to make it run right(wheels rubbing), but it's cool with the oversized wheels and tires on this body!
    Last edited by Briber; 04-09-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Should set up some small ramps in backyard and some hot wheels cars and have a monster jam session lol

MMX/2650kv 100mph p4de on 6s!!

The VXL with Chrome Ofna Dominator wheels and JC Concepts Choppers tires.
    I like the red/chrome theme. Red body, springs and chassis, with Chrome wheels, light bar and engine (well it was at one time lol, I'm putting another blown Hemi on it soon).
    Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Last edited by Briber; 05-20-2016 at 09:56 PM.

New hpi wheels and street fighter tires.

New hpi wheels and street fighter tires.

Wow. Sweet. Not much foam left in there I guess
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Wow. Sweet. Not much foam left in there I guess
    It was very hard to stretch foam on to rim but i got it, there is a normal sized foam inside!

Wow again. Didn't you had to cut the walls?
    Nobody is born with experience

Well lhs let me down again, wow! I asked, the employee took wheel out of package and confirmed 17mm. Well they end up being 14mm. Let down again. I'm looking for 12 to 14mm adapters that use keyed set screw style attachment. I've been looking with very little success. If anyone has some or finds some let me know. After giving me the wrong diff gears and being down a month can't believe I so easily trusted again.
    I agree. I stopped going to my local RC Hobbies after they gave me the wrong part many times. I had a crazy hard time finding aluminum links for my p2de, and they gave me the wrong wrongs at least 3 times. They also gave me a body that they said would fit. , but it didn't . I was new to the hobby then. They sold my friend a castle sv3 for 135, even though they say they price match to other websites. Gave me also the wrong offset wheels. Lol you can see why I don't go there anymore. I'd rather bring my business to the. e team hobbyplex, my local track. The owner is super nice and fair prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Wow again. Didn't you had to cut the walls?
    Yeah the street fighter tires i cut the sidewall basically off(I highlighted in yellow where I cut) pretty much at edge of tread.

Quote Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
    I agree. I stopped going to my local RC Hobbies after they gave me the wrong part many times. I had a crazy hard time finding aluminum links for my p2de, and they gave me the wrong wrongs at least 3 times. They also gave me a body that they said would fit. , but it didn't . I was new to the hobby then. They sold my friend a castle sv3 for 135, even though they say they price match to other websites. Gave me also the wrong offset wheels. Lol you can see why I don't go there anymore. I'd rather bring my business to the. e team hobbyplex, my local track. The owner is super nice and fair prices.
    Now when I go to hobby shop I have a part number! I only go if I need something immediately....

Last edited by Briber; 10-31-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Heres the newest shoes, they perform pretty good. Gorilka taped almost no ballooning 3-4s. They change the cog though. With extended arms and 10mm offset adapters they should do a lot better. The street fighter tires on it just didn't work due to no sidewall.
    HPI savage rims with Phaltline tires.

Last edited by Briber; 11-24-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234