RC Competitor

Mobile phone dock for TQi transmitters

With the new TQi transmitters, there is no provision of docking your iPhone/ android phone with the tx. I always needed a third hand to read out the telemetry to me. Eventually I found a mobile phone holder on eBay that can be used with the TQi transmitters. It's called the steering wheel mobile holder. I replaced the silicone rubber with rubber bands and it works great...

It was cheap and it looks like this...

RC Qualifier
    Very nice indead!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I am sure a lot of people need this...

RC Competitor
    Nice one. Just ordered one myself as well. For like 1.5 bucks it's worth a shot ;-)

RC Competitor
    Absolutely... Just ensure that you use a good quality thick rubber band... You will have to remove the silicone that comes with it...

RC Qualifier
    Ordered one as we speak.... Thanks for this. Was wondering if it can also be mounted on the bottom were the docking pad goes old the 'old' tqi...

RC Competitor
    Sure it can be mounted on the base, but it doesn't provide you the angle which the iPhone dock originally gave...

RC Qualifier
    Ok so the angle is not changeable?

RC Competitor
    Not really. Well it's kind of DIY so you may get some idea how to install it in an angle...
    Generally, I found the top handle the most convenient place for the holder as it does not even disturbs the COG of the tx ( as seen in the pics above ). You may find other places useful too...
    It depends on how you hold your radio.

NOOB DISCLAIMER

Can you use any phone that has blue tooth, or do you also need to have a conection? Used iPhones and androids that are 3 or 4 years old can be found fairly in expensive. Its my intention to permanently attach a phone to the remote. But obviously not if it has to be one with a service plan.

If it obly needs one with blue tooth then it really opens up the modification you can do to the phone.

RC Competitor
    From what I can tell it how nay needs BT and wifi. That's why a iPod can be used. I'm working on another mounting solution.
    Pede Xmaxx Merv 1/18 Rally Blast Spartan M41 Aton

RC Qualifier
    You need android 4.4 minimal on the phone. So that from S4 a S3 has 4.3 and cannot install the app.

RC Competitor
    I'm working on another mounting solution.
    do you have it now? Care to share please?

RC Competitor
    Is there a link to the item?

RC Competitor

RevRuss phone dock

Ok, I came up with a really nice mounting solution for an Phone etc. If you search Dromida phone holder. You will see that it is a phone holder that hooks to an antenna for a dromida radio. I simply cut it down and epoxied it to the blue tooth door on the back of the traxxas radio. It is spring loaded for different size phones and it tilts it 2 positions.
    It is super sturdy, I took pics but don't know how to post.

RC Competitor

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tun0nl View Post
    Nice one. Just ordered one myself as well. For like 1.5 bucks it's worth a shot ;-)
    It arrived today. Now the fun part starts: figuring out a good way to mount it on the tx Aiming for something more sturdy than a rubber band

RC Competitor
    Yeah... Even I wanted to use something more reliable.. I wonder if I can get some good quality silicone rubber bands... They should work well. Anyway they are consumables and should be replaced well before they develop cracks...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    NOOB DISCLAIMER

Can you use any phone that has blue tooth, or do you also need to have a conection? Used iPhones and androids that are 3 or 4 years old can be found fairly in expensive. Its my intention to permanently attach a phone to the remote. But obviously not if it has to be one with a service plan.

If it obly needs one with blue tooth then it really opens up the modification you can do to the phone.
    Device has to have the newer LE Bluetooth connection.

RC Competitor
    Sooooooo, I did a bunch of research. Looks like you CAN use a OLDER Tqi with dock. There is already someone on YouTube that has done it. Does traxxas sell the older Tqi?
    Last edited by 00ttvr6; 01-09-2016 at 10:53 PM.

RC Racer
    Use the older TQi with docking base on a truck with the newest TSM receiver?

Sure you can absolutely do that. The requirement is that the TX has the Multifunction knob and be updated to the newest firmware either via the Link app or sending the TX back to traxxas and they'll update it free of charge, but you'll have to pay shipping to/from. So not worth it. You can definitely still get brand new docking base models on eBay and from chop shops. May be able to still get them from traxxas.

I have multiple older TQi TXs hooked up to my Stampede VXL 4x4 w/TSM. Just had to do the update.

this is why i didnt want the new "link" radio because where do you put the phone

but in the last two posts above mine you say you can use the TQI docking base? are you saying that i can buy a bluetooth enabled TQI link radio...take my docking base off my existing 2 channel TQI remote and put it on the new link enabled radio (i.e. replace the base with the ipod docking base as per removing screws and attaching wires)??? I thought this messes up the circuitry as the TQI base only had a board for the ipod port whereas the new link style has the circuitry for the channels etc. in the base?