RC poster

fan on esc not working.

Took my xmaxx out for the first time yesterday and the esc fan is not working. First run on 6s went about 15 minutes of easy break in run and thermal protection kicked in. It was about 45f. Blew out fan with my air compressor and still nothing.

I also recalibrated esc.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-26-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: merge, use the edit button to add more information to your post rather than making a subsequent one

RC Enthusiast
    I would cut the zip ties holing the wiring together and check the fan wire. It may have gotten pinched or disconnected.

RC poster
    It turns out that when they put the cover on the cut the wires completely.

RC poster
    I have the same problem!!

How do you remove the esc cover?

RC poster
    Just unplug the three connectors remove the two screws on the side of the esc and you're in business

RC poster
    Thanks I got now.. Maybe this wire being cut is why some units are catching on fire?

Good troubleshooting and notes. Will certainly be making sure fan on ESC is running, and will go as far as to check it has not been punched! You should call Traxxas to report and have them send you another fan with wires in good working order... Not cut.

Cheers and please report back.

Quote Originally Posted by mpower11 View Post
    Thanks I got now.. Maybe this wire being cut is why some units are catching on fire?

Was yours also cut?
    Last edited by Double G; 12-26-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: merge, use the edit button to add more information to your post rather than making a subsequent one

RC poster
    yes it was cut 100% from the factory. I wish traxxas was open so I could report it. It's sucks when you boys Xmas gift doesn't work

RC poster
    My wires were cut so close to the fan I can't really solder it back together. I just used another fan from my stampede esc.

RC poster
    Had the same problem with esc fan wires being cut from factory. Appears that the wires were not routed properly through a passage and when the cover was tightened the red wire got cut. Bought the x-maxx for Christmas for my 9-year old (and me!) and have to say it is a beast. Will be contacting Traxxas on Monday to see about getting a new fan.

Seems like an issue. Interested to see how Traxxas fixes this for customers, and have no doubt they will.

Anyone have photos of this to share?

Definitely something new X-MAXX owners should check! I will be, even for a pitched wire - as preventative maintenance. Hope those that are down can get running again soon.