Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

X-Maxx caught on fire!!!

So that was scary!

I was at a construction site and I was playing with the truck for about 20 minutes or so and I managed to overheat it.

So I pulled the body off of the truck and I started to blow on it to cool it off faster... I smelled something burning but nothing looked out of the ordinary... it smelled like hot electronic parts lol.

So I put the body back on and went about 20 miles per hour only moved about 30 or 40 feet and the truck completely locked all four tires up and came to a stop. I no longer had control of the truck steering didn't work and throttle didn't do a single thing I thought the batteries came disconnected or something.

So I walked over and pulled the body back off of it... Then heard a loud buzzing screeching sound and the electronic speed controller instantly caught on fire and started heavily smoking!

Scared the poo out of me!!! My face was right next to it because I was checking the LED indicator on the ESC!!!

I freaked out and instantly disconnected the battery... one of the Traxxas LiPo batteries ended up melting and and pulling the terminal ends out of it on the plug side.

I will call Traxxas Monday morning I am sure they will take care of me I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them so far they have went above and beyond for me every single time.

Here's the video sorry nothing crazy lol.

https://youtu.be/Zhdthw2p-eQ

Here's some pictures...

You can see the battery wires have come out of the plug

I'd be willing to bet something blocked the fan on the ESC, causing to overheat, resulting in this. Hope Traxxas takes care of you man!

I agree with the post below. I was just thinking through what could have caused it. This should not have happened regardless.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-25-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

Ouch... even if the fan were to stop on an ESC, it shouldn't result in a smoldering pile of plastic. It should shut down quickly enough to prevent this. If this continues to pop up, I predict a firmware update to lower the max running temperature of ESC.

RC Competitor
    Will the xmaxx be recalled? So far I've heard 2 cases of xmaxx catching on fire. Will this be enough to get xmaxx recalled?

RC Competitor
    Nothing had blocked the fan. I severely doubt that.

I was driving on hardened dirt... No leaves or anything.

Do you guys think this was temperature dependent or if just shorted out???

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelee View Post
    Will the xmaxx be recalled? So far I've heard 2 cases of xmaxx catching on fire. Will this be enough to get xmaxx recalled?
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I have no idea. It's enough I know Traxxas will pay more attention to things, if not look for a cause and a fix.

Do you guys think this was temperature dependent or if just shorted out???
    I'm thinking it overheated, causing it short out. I have no idea honestly though.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-25-2015 at 09:08 PM.

I'm sure Traxxas will take care of this. I'm liking my Castle setup more and more these days

RC Racer
    No. How's many thousand out there and 2 fires. That is a very small failure rate. Definitely acceptable and probably expected range. Happens to all esc brands....Tekin, Hobbywing, Novak, Orion.... They can and have all gone up in a blaze of glory.

RC Competitor
    I see the screws are rusted like you've run it through water. Maybe these things aren't as waterproof as stated? I had a blast with mine today on 4s. My 6s batteries are on back order... I'll be slow for now lol.

Wow, hope you are back up and running soon, I also think Traxxas will take care of this for you, can't see why they wouldnt!

Concerning...

RC Competitor
    Personally from their track record and very recent personally experience I literally have ZERO doubts they will take care of me.

Not even worried a single bit

RC Racer
    Agree on the rusted screws. Hit those with wd-40 after a water run.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet something blocked the fan on the ESC, causing to overheat, resulting in this. Hope Traxxas takes care of you man!

I agree with the post below. I was just thinking through what could have caused it. This should not have happened regardless.
    How every much you're willing to bet, I'll go ahead and take you up on that offer. The ESC has thermal protection for just that sort of thing.

RC Enthusiast
    This is what happens when you use 1/8th scale electronics for a 1/5-ish scale 8kg+ 4x4 truck.

Saw the truck, fell in love with it, saw the electronics, ran away.
    Why couldn't they learn something from the Baja 5B Flux?

This is what happens when you use 1/8th scale electronics for a 1/5-ish scale 8kg+ 4x4 truck.
    That was my initial thought also, but then after a little digging I found that's not the case. The Electronics is rated for the the weight of the Xmaxx using 6s power. Not to say that the XL2/2028 Castle system isn't a huge amount better than the Xmaxx's stock setup, but the XL2/2028 Castle system is way more than what you need (it's very cool, though). I'm curious what Kershaw Designs will come up with here in the next few months.

I haven't ran mine yet, but when I do I'll get a better idea of what I want to do with my Xmaxx in the future...or, if anything at all. I've been working on my Emaxx here lately, so I want to get it squared away before I look at my Xmaxx.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-26-2015 at 07:17 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Didn't the Spartan ESC have similar issues of catching fire when it came out? Not sure why they caught fire - wonder if it's same/similar cause with some of the X-MAXX reported cases?? Something owners can check for on their new X-MAXX as a preventative measure?? Just a thought to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxximum View Post
    Personally from their track record and very recent personally experience I literally have ZERO doubts they will take care of me.

Not even worried a single bit
    This makes the third one I have seen so far. If this truck was out for a while, a year or so, then I wouldn't worried. But, given that it has only been out for a couple weeks, three fires are a little alarming.

On the other two, the people called Traxxas and were told they would get a whole new truck.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoXlvr View Post
    I see the screws are rusted like you've run it through water. Maybe these things aren't as waterproof as stated? I had a blast with mine today on 4s. My 6s batteries are on back order... I'll be slow for now lol.
    Lets clarify this as people misunderstand the waterproofing. Yes the electronics are waterproof or protected by a waterproof housing. Vehicles still need to be maintained. You still have bearings exposed which can rust and fail. Alot people dont realize that although a water proof motor is sealed the bearing can fail and allow moisture in if not maintained.

Esc's catching fire is not just something that can happen with traxxas. It can happen with all brands. No manufacturer is free from defect. Which from what i have seen out the X-maxx is still very small. Lets not jump the gun here and stir the pot when the defect rate is very small compared to the amount X-maxx that have been sold. Again that is what the manufacturer warranty is for.

RC Champion
    Didn't the same thing happen when the E-Maxx first came out? I can't remember what the problems with it were but Traxxas had thier own ESC called the VX12 and ended up recalling them. They replaced them with the Novak EVX.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

Didn't the Spartan ESC have similar issues of catching fire when it came out?
    I had my first V1 Spartan ESC catch fire on me, but it really wasn't the boats fault. I had a cooling tube clog up on me while it was running. At the time, there was no telemetry to be had, so I couldn't monitor my temps and my motor froze. When I hit the throttle to try and figure out what the heck was going on...vah...voom! Looked just like a James Bond movie. That's why I wonder if these couple of blown ESC's are due to frozen motors.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

2nd incident i've seen on the forums and they all seem to be esc related. Traxxas just cant build a good esc it seems
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    2nd incident i've seen on the forums and they all seem to be esc related. Traxxas just cant build a good esc it seems
    They build great ESC's IMHO. Mine is great. Traxxas as sold well over 5,000 of these X-Maxx's, and we've only seen these two documented ESC issues. I've not worried yet.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    They build great ESC's IMHO. Mine is great. Traxxas as sold well over 5,000 of these X-Maxx's, and we've only seen these two documented ESC issues. I've not worried yet.
    I wish more people could see the larger picture. Even if 10 esc caught on fire its still a drop in the bucked compared to the number sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    I wish more people could see the larger picture. Even if 10 esc caught on fire its still a drop in the bucked compared to the number sold.
    In this case, it's not the overall number of fires compared to trucks sold. It is the number of fires sense the truck was realeased that has everyone alarmed. Which means there are likely to be a good number more.

Overall, Traxxas makes a good ESC, but just like the diffs in the Summit, sometimes new product lines have a bug or two at release.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Like the hover boards and iPhones and every other tech out there we don't hear about, a few will go up in a glorious burst of flame and puffing smoke! But good customer service from Traxxas will fix that every time...
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Competitor
    Sorry to hear that sucks! I notice my ESC was getting hot after 20min. I installed 30mm yeah racing tornado fans through the battery compartment to keep the ESC cool. In my opinion I think this is a must for all X-Maxx trucks regardless of the fan that's already on it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    That's not the larger picture since we don't know how many were sold. What we do know is the number of XMAXX owners on this forum is rather small, and even within that small sample we know of several ESC's up in smoke. That's not a good sign no matter how large or small the picture is.

With many thousands of these trucks out there, Wolf and Razor (and the others who pointed out the fact that all electronic items carry a failure rate) are exactly correct. Most people are busy running their X-Maxx and don't bother coming to the forum and posting about it. The people who do have an issue are the ones who post. Any judgement made from a small selection like this only speculation. As with any speed control from any company, if there is a Manufacturing issue it will show up within the first few runs. If you do have an issue call us and we will get you taken care of. As Razor pointed out, that is why we have the manufacturing defect warranty.

This is not an open forum to bash Traxxas so please keep your comments constructive.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    With many thousands of these trucks out there, Wolf and Razor (and the others who pointed out the fact that all electronic items carry a failure rate) are exactly correct. Most people are busy running their X-Maxx and don't bother coming to the forum and posting about it. The people who do have an issue are the ones who post. Any judgement made from a small selection like this only speculation. As with any speed control from any company, if there is a Manufacturing issue it will show up within the first few runs. If you do have an issue call us and we will get you taken care of. As Razor pointed out, that is why we have the manufacturing defect warranty.

This is not an open forum to bash Traxxas so please keep your comments constructive.

This is why I'm not worried one bit when I call you guys in the morning. I ALWAYS get taken care of.

Reason #1 why I always buy Traxxas and no other brand.

I'm local too! So that helps haha

People are so freaking fast to jumping to conclusions and making assumptions when they see something fail or break.

I want even remotely upset my truck caught fire. Stuff happens... And it's all part of the fun!
    Last edited by Xmaxximum; 12-27-2015 at 03:35 PM.

RC Champion
    i agree, traxxas does make good products, and there is always bugs to iron out, and this is just one of thsoe bugs.

i have seen a total of two xmaxx's on fire on the forums, and 5 total on youtube (the one was on youtube) so i expect this to be a higher number of issues either not reported on the forums. most who are not active or even know traxxas has such a support group here, will just report it directly to traxxas and not come on here and rant about it. i would expect this to be a recall later if it keeps happening.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 12-27-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    We also have to consider user error. Imo, this truck is pretty much marketed towards brand new to the hobby folks, and I'm just not sure this is a vehicle for the total newb.

It's possible misuse could account for some of them?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    We also have to consider user error. Imo, this truck is pretty much marketed towards brand new to the hobby folks, and I'm just not sure this is a vehicle for the total newb.

It's possible misuse could account for some of them?

While I completely agree with your entire post this was not the case with my truck IMO. I'm not an RC noob, and I was just slow crawling with my truck and only about 10-15 minutes into my session when this occurred. The ESC fan was working and nothing was out of the ordinary.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I should have clarified.

I wasn't suggesting this was the case for you sir.

Just stating an observation that could have been the root cause for some of the cases.

But I am sure not all.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I should have clarified.

I wasn't suggesting this was the case for you sir.

Just stating an observation that could have been the root cause for some of the cases.

But I am sure not all.
    Oh trust me I completely understand

I'll update you guys tomorrow to let you know what happens when I call them. Traxxas headquarters is only 15 minutes away from me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    all these overheating threads are scaring me. I checked my temps today every 2 minutes during my bash session lol
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Racer
    I'm guessing this wasn't due to over heating. I've blown several esc's and motors in my day and they never caught fire. I'm guessing some kind of short.

so what happen when you called?
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxcrazy33 View Post
    so what happen when you called?

I dropped off my Xmaxx at Traxxas yesterday.
    They are local to me.
    Hopefully they'll let me know what happens today waiting for phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxximum View Post
    I dropped off my Xmaxx at Traxxas yesterday.
    They are local to me.
    Hopefully they'll let me know what happens today waiting for phone call.
    Good for them you are so close, so they can get to the bottom of the fire without waiting for shipping, nice! Did they replace the entire X-MAXX when you dropped off the burnt one?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Good for them you are so close, so they can get to the bottom of the fire without waiting for shipping, nice! Did they replace the entire X-MAXX when you dropped off the burnt one?
    No idea what theyre going to do yet.

Maybe new truck (which I doubt), or they'll install new ESC and battery that melted the terminal.

Or maybe they won't risk it and replace all of the electronics.

Only time will tell lol.
    They said 3-5 business days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast