Castle 1717-1580kv Motor

I wonder if the reason Traxxas didn't use a Castle setup in their new Xmaxx truck is because, Castle no longer makes their 1717 - 1580kv motor anymore. Also I wonder, if Castle couldn't make available their 1717 - 1580kv motor for the Xmaxx, what about Traxxas's XO-1. It uses that 1717 - 1580kv motor.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

That is a real good question

RC Qualifier
    I think you are reading too much into it, it's purely motivated by profit.. It's a gamble of course as with any build vs. buy decision but they felt confident enough in bringing the motor in house (or via some partner with less of a $$$$ premium) this time..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    I think you are reading too much into it, it's purely motivated by profit.. It's a gamble of course as with any build vs. buy decision but they felt confident enough in bringing the motor in house (or via some partner with less of a $$$$ premium) this time..
    I don't think he is. Why didn't they have this motivation for the XO1 or even the ERBE before it?

RC Racer
    the 1717 is a smaller motor that what the x maxx has, question is why didnt traxxas put the 2028 and the xl2 in it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TwzteD View Post
    the 1717 is a smaller motor that what the x maxx has, question is why didnt traxxas put the 2028 and the xl2 in it.
    That's the million dollar question. My guess is cost. Traxxas knows a $1000 RC will not sell, they found that out with the XO1. Sourcing an XL2+2028 from CC would have very likely moved the XMAX well into that price range. The 1717 option is no longer available so we are left with what we got. They real bummer is they designed the truck to make it impossible to upgrade to a proper power plant without some serious nip/tuck to the chassis.

RC Qualifier
    When we are saying smaller motor, I think we need to remember that the XO-1 was built for speed not bashing so you want a lighter motor that spins fast. For the X-MAXX you want a bigger motor with more torque, so the RPMS don't need to be as high. When it comes to the cost to manufacture both, are smaller higher spinning motors more expensive to manufacture?

The 1717 is a smaller motor that what the Xmaxx has, question is why didn't Traxxas put the 2028 and the xl2 in it.
    I measured both my XO's 1717 motor, and my Xmaxx motor. They are very, very close, and if you look at the Castle 1717 motor specs it's very, very close to what's advertised with the Xmaxx 1600kv motor. In my opinion, the reason Traxxas didn't use the Castle XL2/2028 set up for the Xmaxx was due to it being way more power than what's needed for the Xmaxx.

Couple that with the price, and I can understand their position. Personally though, for the Xmaxx, I think a better motor spec would of been a motor right around 1200kv. You figure; if the XO uses a 1717 (1580kv), and we all seen the power of what the XL2/2028 (800kv) puts out with the video one our friends ( NBViper) posted last week...I think the sweat spot would be somewhere in the middle...right around 1200kv.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-27-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    I don't think he is. Why didn't they have this motivation for the XO1 or even the ERBE before it?
    Timing, they were not in a position a few years ago on the ESC or motor front on the larger/faster vehicles but are trying to catch up..

RC Racer
    I think the motor in the x maxx is suitable, but the esc needs to go. xl2 and stovk motor is a good combo

RC poster
    Please check out Kershaw Designs for the impossible and (NBViper) has a lot of motivation and pictures and finally video for the impossible. It can and has been done. no offense just saying.
    Last edited by lgrip1; 03-27-2016 at 03:27 PM.

RC Champion
    I'm trying to understand motor kv#'s
    Is it the higher the kv more speed or more torque?

Higher kv=higher rpm.

Torque is not proportional to rpm but they can be related.
    "RED"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Higher kv=higher rpm.

Ok thank you.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Higher kv=higher rpm.

You would think so reading Xmaxx threads. Posters compare motor size to kv frequently.