Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Simple motor fan mod. Dropped temps 50 degrees

So been running with higher gearing and lots of short bursts in front of my house. The motor was ending a run around 185. Dropped a small 5v cooling fan in and dropped my motor temps to 135 after hard running. Works excellent. 50x50 x 10mm thick plugin to any empty reciever port and enjoy much lower motor temps.
    Just search 50x50 5v fan on ebay

RC Competitor
    Already brought one two weeks ago just waiting on the xmaxx to get here. I wondered how the temp drop would be, that is awesome to hear.

RC Racer
    Yeah and going to a 17 pinion from the 15 made it perfect speed wise in my opinion. 39 mph.on fresh batts and settled around 38. It's the perfect speed for this monster. And only 130ish motor temps driving hard with the fan.

RC Champion
    Where is the like button?
    just a basher

Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Where is the like button?
    Thinking the same thing...

Thanks for sharing!
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Competitor
    I need to buy a waterproof fan!

How can I find one that's waterproof?!

RC Enthusiast
    If you buy a brushless fan it should be water proof and will work in wet conditions just remember to blow it out with some compressed air after using in the wet as some times corrosion may be in the small brushless motor.

RC Competitor
    I need to buy a waterproof fan!

How can I find one that's waterproof?!

RC Racer

Cool post.

Is this needed for stock gearing or gearing down to crawling gearing, ie: 11/54?

Thoughts?

RC Competitor
    Just bought 2 of those.

Good job, and very believable. I made cooling fan cooled, heat sinks for both my Emaxx and XO. My Emaxx runs at 123* and my XO at 113*. If for some reason a fan stops, my Xmaxx will go to 160* and my XO will go to 143*. I was planning on doing a fan mod to my Xmaxx, and it's nice that you showed us a good way of doing it.

Also, I want to see how I can modify the ESC to be able to easily clean and lube the ESC fan. I was able to figure it out with my MM2's, but haven't looked into it with this VXL-6.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-26-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    Those fans posted will work great but I try to find sellers in the USA. Hong Kong items take forever to get .

RC Racer
    Which way do you point the fan? Blowing on the motor or blowing up?

RC Racer
    Towards the motor. The stock heatsink is perfect for a fan. Very deep fins.

RC Enthusiast
    That ebay link above ... does that plug directly into Xmaxx? If so, where? (sorry, newbie here) THANKS

RC Competitor
    I mounted a castle creations dual fan and shroud for a 2028 . Slips right between the rails perfect . Looks factory. Can I post pics directly to here or do they have to be uploaded to something like photobucket first?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdenracing View Post
    I mounted a castle creations dual fan and shroud for a 2028 . Slips right between the rails perfect . Looks factory. Can I post pics directly to here or do they have to be uploaded to something like photobucket first?
    Oh man.. that looks like it'd be perfect fit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-2028-...8AAOSwHPlWb1gy

Simple motor fan mod. Dropped temps 50 degrees

Here's a size comparison between the two that I did when dropping the 2028 into my X-Maxx. Width wise they are very close. Length is a bit longer, but that shouldn't matter.

-=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post
    Oh man.. that looks like it'd be perfect fit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-2028-...8AAOSwHPlWb1gy
    YEP! That's the exact one I used . Could trim the sides off a little to get it right to the fins or remove the chassi brace rails and put the fan in under them should fit too. I just left mine stock and zip tied it right between the frame rails. Fan is a little longer than the motor which I think is good, my esc has overheated already so I slid the extra fan that way .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Thinking the same thing...

Thanks for sharing!
    Lol I was looking for it too... This is good!
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

Wait wait wait, are you guys saying Castle fans fit over the stock motor heatsink!?!

RC Racer
    You would think something as simple as this would be added stock if it can drop temps that much, considering they could wholesale buy fans from china for pennies.

RC Enthusiast
    Wait wait wait, are you guys saying Castle fans fit over the stock motor heatsink!?!
    I think that's what they are saying need to order that if it dose

If it fits over the stock motor, AND heatsink, I'm going to order one. That would be awesome. Talk about awesome combo, massive heat sink, and fans.

RC Competitor
    These fans are a good investment to keep the motors temps down. I'm running a 50mm Evercool fan that produces a high air CFM around 9-10 CFM. I might go with a smaller 40mm from fans (Wild Turbo Fans) that produce allot of air as well. I run the fan on my XL2 for my XO-1
    Last edited by Double G; 12-27-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: language filter tripped

RC Racer
    I kinda like the shroud less fans because with a heasink this big you want as much air in and around the fins as possible. Plus with the castle shroud if the fans stop working you have a big plastic thing blocking air flow to the motor. With fan like I posted, if it stops it won't block air flow at all. And the fans are like 2 dollars. I like the shroud type fans on motors without heatsinks cause they direct air flow down around the motor. With a heatsink your just blocking air to other parts of the sink.
    All that said having any kinda fan will help tremendously.
    Are the esc fans easy to change like the mamba2 and x? Or does the whole esc have to come apart?

RC Competitor
    If it fits over the stock motor, AND heatsink, I'm going to order one. That would be awesome. Talk about awesome combo, massive heat sink, and fans.
    It fits about halfway down just setting it over the motor. It can probably be spread by hand enough it's so close BUT the little upper frame rail things must be removed first to try that. Even not doing that it fits a good amount around the fins. Wish I knew how to post pics

RC Competitor
    I agree with you Dragonfueled. I have both the XL2 and X esc. The XL2 was easy to change out and replaced with a 40mm fan. The X seems to have a pretty high powered fan and I just left that alone. I'm running the X esc on my TC4 thats doing 124mph speed runs 1/4 mile

*Remove words that have tripped the language filter. It is obvious that the letters of Wild Turbo Fans would trip it.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-27-2015 at 08:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    It fits about halfway down just setting it over the motor. It can probably be spread by hand enough it's so close BUT the little upper frame rail things must be removed first to try that. Even not doing that it fits a good amount around the fins. Wish I knew how to post pics
    Here is how to post pictures:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...sting-Tutorial

I am going with the Castle Creations dual fan and shroud setup for mine also. This way if I decide to get a 2028 down the road I will be able to swap it onto it without any concerns and for the price of $11.10 shipped from TH you can't beat it.

I haven't decided on the ESC fans yet though. Going to have to measure it when my X-Maxx arrives and see what I want to do.

RC Racer

Ordered. $12 hard to pass up

RC Competitor
    Ordered, can't beat it.
    Pede Xmaxx Merv 1/18 Rally Blast Spartan M41 Aton

I ordered some, but I'll make a nice bracket to house my motor's cooling fan. Also, some guy put cooling fans on the sides of his ESC. I'll probably do that too. I would also like to figure out a way to get to my ESC's cooling fan without to muck trouble. I always like to keep my fans blown out and lubricated as needed with out it being to much of a chore.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Let'see some pics, pls...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fabster32 View Post
    Let'see some pics, pls...
    I read the directions on how to post pictures .... Then I went and mounted the sct 5ive bumpers on my x maxx instead �� sorry I really like building stuff more than doing computer stuff ! Lol. Just posting from my phone. I'll set up an account to post pictures eventually I hope. If someone wants to pm me their # I can send them pics and they can post them.
    Last edited by Holdenracing; 12-27-2015 at 10:57 AM.

RC Competitor
    How do you guys run the fans ...like the castle fan and say 2 more on esc 1 on each side. Would you use a 3 way spitter and hook them all up to the receiver open channel? Also when your running all these extra fans aren't you losing alot of run time and pulling volts away from the motor and esc ..so performance is going to lack a little bit and possibly? Couldn't you hook up a separate smaller 11.1v 3s or 7.4v 2s lipo 5000mah receiver battery to a on /off switch just for the 3 fans is that possible?
    Last edited by David1970; 12-27-2015 at 11:47 AM.

RC Competitor
    Are there slightly bigger fans out there, seems like you could get away with a bigger fan. More cfm wouldn't hurt -60mm
    Last edited by Jaycelee; 12-27-2015 at 01:12 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice job with the fans udluuz. is that 30mm fan on the sides?
    Last edited by paulbaumann; 12-27-2015 at 01:43 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by David1970 View Post
    How do you guys run the fans ...like the castle fan and say 2 more on esc 1 on each side. Would you use a 3 way spitter and hook them all up to the receiver open channel? Also when your running all these extra fans aren't you losing alot of run time and pulling volts away from the motor and esc ..so performance is going to lack a little bit and possibly? Couldn't you hook up a separate smaller 11.1v 3s or 7.4v 2s lipo 5000mah receiver battery to a on /off switch just for the 3 fans is that possible?
    I'll ask again do you plug into receiver? Id be running 2 30mm fans on sides of esc and 1 castle ceraction on top of heat sink on motor. Id use a on/off switch and run them on its own 7.4v or 11.1v 5000mah lipo receiver battery i use for my 5th baja truck. ...would this be a better setup. .so i wouldn't be using the volts from my system please someone lmk thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Cool post.

Is this needed for stock gearing or gearing down to crawling gearing, ie: 11/54?
    Thoughts on this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast