Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I slavage fans out of old computers. They are 12v so can run right off of the batteries. You could even add 2 so both batteries are equally drained. Just add a togle switch and you in the money. Here is the set up on my pe2d.

Its a 3" fan and sould fit perfectly above the motor

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by David1970 View Post
    I'll ask again do you plug into receiver? Id be running 2 30mm fans on sides of esc and 1 castle ceraction on top of heat sink on motor. Id use a on/off switch and run them on its own 7.4v or 11.1v 5000mah lipo receiver battery i use for my 5th baja truck. ...would this be a better setup. .so i wouldn't be using the volts from my system please someone lmk thanks
    I have the similar question... I'd like use 1 fan for esc and another fan for engine. I opened up my receiver box and I see 3 empty slots in there... I wonder if I can use 1 fan in 1 slot and another fan in 2nd open slot? Or there just 1 slot you can use and have to have some type of splitter?

RC Racer
    You can plug in to all the Empty slots you want. Only reason for using a splitter is if your out of slots. You can plug in as many fans as you have empty slots

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfueled1 View Post
    You can plug in to all the Empty slots you want. Only reason for using a splitter is if your out of slots. You can plug in as many fans as you have empty slots
    Thank you very much.

RC poster
    Could you put another one of these fans over the esc? Would it conflict with the stock esc fan?

RC Racer
    so the Castle 2028 motor will drop in with out any mods? will that fix the overheating problem ?

ty thomas

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageWheels View Post
    so the Castle 2028 motor will drop in with out any mods? will that fix the overheating problem ?

ty thomas
    In all honesty the stock motor with the giant stock heatsink and a fan will probably run cooler.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Where is the like button?
    Right here. Haha

I have set up 12v fans before to plug into my balance taps. This way they get more voltage and I don't have to fool with them and a receiver box. I have also wired them to pull power from the battery wires on the esc...but those escs weren't running 6s. Haha. You could easily wire little jst plugs (or whatever they are) for fans to individual packs. That'd be easy soldering.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Enthusiast
    I had holdenracing send me the pics of the castle dual fan so I could see what it looked like to decide my route on fans, Ill post them for him for you guys to see.

RC Competitor
    Why not, I went ahead and ordered one of these too!!
    T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rwc2002 View Post
    I had holdenracing send me the pics of the castle dual fan so I could see what it looked like to decide my route on fans, Ill post them for him for you guys to see.

That is more space than I was hoping for but I think I think it might work better that way. Better pictures from the front of it would be nice so we can see how much space is between the shroud and the cooling fins. Thanks for posting the pictures for him.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    That is more space than I was hoping for but I think I think it might work better that way. Better pictures from the front of it would be nice so we can see how much space is between the shroud and the cooling fins. Thanks for posting the pictures for him.
    There is about 3/4" from the fins to the fans if you just set it on. 100% up to you how close you want them after that because you can easily just cut however much you want of each side of the shroud and it will just sit closer. After hooking mine up and looking at it I've decided it's probably best right out of the box. It moves air all around not just the top of the motor this way but blows all around the sides and over the esc noticeably. Just moves a lot of air around under the body in general. The being said, whatever way you decide to mount this fan it's going to help and this is a nice looking case/mount to start with. Everyone else should post pics on the different ways they mount theirs and any one with temp stuff should report results. maybe we can find out what height really IS the best ?
    Last edited by Holdenracing; 12-28-2015 at 12:54 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwc2002 View Post

looks like the castle fans cover heatsinks, 50mm fan should work better?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbaumann View Post
    looks like the castle fans cover heatsinks, 50mm fan should work better?
    That's what I was thinking. If they go bad there's no chance the motor will cool itself anymore being covered.
    I just ordered a 60mm fan to try. That should be perfect and just slip inside the frame rails. 60mm will move a ton of air.

RC Enthusiast
    That's what I was thinking. If they go bad there's no chance the motor will cool itself anymore being covered.
    I just ordered a 60mm fan to try. That should be perfect and just slip inside the frame rails. 60mm will move a ton of air.
    Got a link of what you ordered?

RC Racer
    https://www.westfloridacomponents.co...D0506PHS3.html

No pic but its a sunon so that's good and the specs are good. It's also 5v so it will run off the reciever

It sure takes a long time to get a couple of little fans shipped.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    Most of them on ebay are from China. That's why you gotta order from stateside sellers. No idea where you ordered just guessing

RC Enthusiast
    Just ordered a Wild Turbo Fans 40mm. Free shipping on eBay...total of $12.90, can't beat that!

RC Competitor
    Would thermal paste between the motor and heatsink help as well, or would that just be unnecessary and messy?
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hazelmullins View Post
    Would thermal paste between the motor and heatsink help as well, or would that just be unnecessary and messy?

Personally I allways do that on all my heatsinked motors. It helps no doubt. I'm considering removing the black paint on the motor to get a better heat disapation into the heatsink. Can't see how it could hurt especially when using the thermal paste.

RC Competitor
    Personally I allways do that on all my heatsinked motors. It helps no doubt. I'm considering removing the black paint on the motor to get a better heat disapation into the heatsink. Can't see how it could hurt especially when using the thermal paste.
    Great! I will be going that route as well then (although I don't think I will remove the paint), thank you
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tacko View Post
    Just ordered a Wild Turbo Fans 40mm. Free shipping on eBay...total of $12.90, can't beat that!
    You should of made them an offer I got mine for 11 shipped lol. I got a pair of the 30mm for each side of the esc. Wish they made a 50 or 60mm for the motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by David1970 View Post
    How do you guys run the fans ...like the castle fan and say 2 more on esc 1 on each side. Would you use a 3 way spitter and hook them all up to the receiver open channel? Also when your running all these extra fans aren't you losing alot of run time and pulling volts away from the motor and esc ..so performance is going to lack a little bit and possibly? Couldn't you hook up a separate smaller 11.1v 3s or 7.4v 2s lipo 5000mah receiver battery to a on /off switch just for the 3 fans is that possible?
    Yes, there is a small electrical and weight penalty when using the main power for fans. Using an extra lipo for aux power has only the weight penalty with additional charging complexity. I see it all the time with lights systems running off a 9v. It works great and was easy but how long are you going to maintain that extra battery for? How long before it gets forgot at home when you need it to bash? How long before it gets left on all night and nukes your lipo?

I used to run two fans on a stampede pulling power directly from the lipos. Any change in available amps and run time was negligible.

I have used a little tiny 800 or 1000 mah 2s to run fans and or a bec.

RC Racer

I wire a 12v fan direct to the mains in series for the full 22 volts. I never had an issue with my 1/8 scale stuff and you get more airflow from the higher voltage. Running a half hour or so shouldn't kill the fans rated for thousands of hours at normal voltage.

The traxxas pins pull out of the connectors making it easy to add the fan wires to the main leads

Nice setup. I think I will do the but with a 24 volt fan as I literally have 20 or thirty of them laying around waiting to be used.
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

RC Racer
    Just got my 60mm lol I may try a 70 but the 60 looks allot better then 50.

I think the CAUTION HOT MOTOR sticker is a nice touch. Lol

RC Racer
    Ha ha it's not hot any more with these big oll fans though. I gotta get a caution wArm sticker lol

RC Competitor
    Just got my 60mm lol I may try a 70 but the 60 looks allot better then 50.
    that def looks better than a 50mm....so higher than 5v will not work when plugged into the receiver?
    Last edited by fabster32; 12-30-2015 at 01:51 PM.

RC Racer
    If you get a 12v fan just wire it like I did above to the main leads. If it's a 5v fan plug it into the reciever. I'm gonna try a 70mm 12v next.
    Nothing but short bursts and stops and wide open throttle on blacktop .I'm only seeing 125 motor temps And it's geared up 3 teeth on the pinion. Does an even 40mph now

RC Competitor
    If you get a 12v fan just wire it like I did above to the main leads. If it's a 5v fan plug it into the reciever. I'm gonna try a 70mm 12v next.
    Nothing but short bursts and stops and wide open throttle on blacktop .I'm only seeing 125 motor temps And it's geared up 3 teeth on the pinion. Does an even 40mph now
    So you have an 18-tooth pinion in there? Can you please provide a link for the pinion? Thnx in advance

RC Racer
    I'm using a tekno pinion for a 1/8 buggy. The xmaxx pinions are a little wider so I ordered one to fit the whole spur. Any 18t mod1 pinion will work but it rides on 3/4 of the spur cause it's so wide. I believe xo1 pinions are the same as xmaxx

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFUAC&P=ML

What I'm using
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMTX&P=ML
    Last edited by Dragonfueled1; 12-30-2015 at 05:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    So... 12V fans wouldn't even power on if i wired them up to receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelee View Post
    So... 12V fans wouldn't even power on if i wired them up to receiver?
    It would. It would just do very little. It wouldn't move much air so undervolted.

RC Racer
    I'm an idiot. I saw the first post and immediately ordered a 5v fan even though I don't have my xmaxx yet. I wasn't even thinking that I have a box full of old 12v computer fans and could just wire it to the main batt. Whoops. Oh well, the fan I got was brushless so maybe it will work good. Got a few spare 140mm fans lieing around that move about 50 cfm. Wonder if I could mount that thing somehow,lol.

RC Racer
    Lol go for it!!!! The 12 fans on 6s so far have been fine. They spin faster obviously but have been holding up. I just ordered a 70mm to try

RC Competitor
    Let me know if this is doable. I want to stick with the 12v fans i bought due to the fact that they are the only ones that come in 40mm, 7mm thickness. I plan to run a couple on each side of xmaxx, but also I want them to be plugged in to receiver because i like the fact that they turn on and off with the truck. Will i be able to double voltage by bridging 2 slots on the receiver to create 12V? (my understanding is that it has 6v output each).

Will it cause a short?
    Last edited by Jaycelee; 12-31-2015 at 01:10 AM.

RC Racer
    I think you have to make a custom wire harness to parallel the 2 outputs from the RX. Would be easier to just wire it to the esc batt leads, or use a 5v fan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast