RC Competitor

For now short course bumpers, later SCT body (maybe lol)

I mounted some Losi 5ive bumpers up to the Xmaxx. Almost made some big fancy mounting system like I did for my other 1/6th scale. Then I realized how perfectly located the stock bumpers were and ended up being a really relatively quick and painless project. The Xmaxx remains unmodified and stock. No extra holes or screws. Strong enoug so far to pick up and swing around by any corner of the bumper. My favorite part about being mounted directly off the stiock bumpers is that it retains the stock flex and impact absorption, maybe even a little better ( the 5ive bumpers bend and absorb a good amount of impact them self). This wasn't for looks this was to make the rig last longer in impacts and cartwheels. Rcw2002 has some pictures he's going to put up for me but I want to go crash it a bunch before I tell all of you that this is really good way to mount them . I ordered some stuff to build a short course body but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to work out lol.

RC Enthusiast
    Here are your pics of the bumpers

RC Qualifier
    I like that front bumper idea. Let us know how it holds up.

RC Competitor
    It looks like a "new bright" toy now. But every one has their tastes I guess.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpiman74 View Post
    WOW! now that you say that...it does lol.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Competitor
    Lol , like I said, not for looks. I have a nice long sloping yard and I genuinely feel guilty when I cartwheel this thing at half speed but it keeps going for about a 75 yard cartwheel ! Now if my short course body pipe dream works, then the looks might all come together. For now this is taking a lot of the crash abuse off of the drive train. This is a heavy truck I think it can use all the help it can get to keep from tearing suspension off and or apart. Depends how you drive I guess. Sometimes I just hit stuff that's sitting there minding its own business ! Lol

RC Competitor
    As do I. Part of the fun of the hobby for sure. I can't wait until replacement parts are released, I'm going to buy a complete front half/quarter just so I can run it full speed at some places I have been dying to run it at.

that looks pretty goofy
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxcrazy33 View Post
    that looks pretty goofy
    Don't put them on your truck then. Lol. I guess you all just skipped the discription, this is for function, I'm not trying to have a pretty rc car. Do I need to put a disclaimer on this post for all the shelf queen builders ?

Well I don't quite like how it looks IMO, but regardless that's one heck of a bumper! It looks like it would work pretty good in a crash.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-28-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenracing View Post
    Don't put them on your truck then. Lol. I guess you all just skipped the discription, this is for function, I'm not trying to have a pretty rc car. Do I need to put a disclaimer on this post for all the shelf queen builders ?
    o you can count on me not to put those on my truck, i just dont see the point in that ugly thing to make much of a change to the factory one
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Competitor
    o you can count on me not to put those on my truck, i just dont see the point in that ugly thing to make much of a change to the factory one
    The factory bumper is only as wide as the body . The important parts, that stick out ( like the suspension, a-rms , and drive related things ) which are already the most commonly broken parts in rc , are now much better protected not only in a front collision but the leverage and impact on said suspension and steering is greatly reduced during cartwheel. If you get one of these trucks some day you'll know the never ending cartwheel I'm talking about. At any rate, as said befor that's the "point" . I'm assuming that's the same reason it comes factory on the $1500 dollar rc car that the bumpers come stock on. I've never seen one broken on that 40lb truck so I thought it would be plenty strong for our 20lb trucks.

[QUOTE=Holdenracing;6138443]The factory bumper is only as wide as the body . The important parts, that stick out ( like the suspension, a-rms , and drive related things ) which are already the most commonly broken parts in rc , are now much better protected not only in a front collision but the leverage and impact on said suspension and steering is greatly reduced during cartwheel. If you get one of these trucks some day you'll know the never ending cartwheel I'm talking about. At any rate, as said befor that's the "point" . I'm assuming that's the same reason it comes factory on the $1500 dollar rc car that the bumpers come stock on. I've never seen one broken on that 40lb truck so I thought it would be plenty strong for our 20lb trucks.[/QUOT

my 35lb MT dose cartwheels all day long and hasn't blew the front or rear suspension in the 4 years i have owned it. granted i tore the front off doing 28mph into a tree but that was doing 28mph.

just dont see where that bumper would do much more then the stock one.
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Competitor
    You should have had a better bumper on that and the truck would have been fine. Cool story bro !
    Last edited by Double G; 12-28-2015 at 10:02 PM.

You should have had a better bumper on that and the truck would have been fine. Cool story bro !
    lol someone got upset.i dont think any bumper would stop a 35lb truck at 28mph
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Competitor
    28mph ?? that things fast ! Yea your right at those super sonic speeds that particular truck would have crumpled, but that bumper would have been fine ! Lol
    Last edited by Double G; 12-28-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: language

28mph ?? that things fast ! Yea your right at those super sonic speeds that particular truck would have crumpled, but that bumper would have been fine ! Lol
    thats very true my dude,never thought of it that way. thanks
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC poster
    I put the 5t tires on my X-Maxx the other day.

The 17mm nuts on the Maxx marred the rims a little bit and self righting didn't work (those tires are just too light I guess).

I wonder how much of an old Losi body you'd have to chop up to get it to fit with those bumpers.

I'd like to see a rally mod someday.

RC Qualifier
    Wider bumpers are great for example t bone people complainting about looks is just pointless.... When you sink $800 in an rc you want it protected ugly or not like I think the rpm wide bumpers make my rustler look like a toy but it saved the a arms quite a few times compared to the monster jam bumper it used to have...just my 2 cents I like the idea of that wide bumper man great info!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey305 View Post
    I put the 5t tires on my X-Maxx the other day.

The 17mm nuts on the Maxx marred the rims a little bit and self righting didn't work (those tires are just too light I guess).

I wonder how much of an old Losi body you'd have to chop up to get it to fit with those bumpers.

I'd like to see a rally mod someday.
    So the 5t wheels went on and worked to drive around just fine ? Just scratched the rims up a little ? I really want to put dbxl wheels and tires on! Someone told me there was just no way they would work without fabrication ?

I was looking into shrinking a 1/5 sct body but a 5ive body and cage are around $300 . other than that I really like that idea. But there is about ten inches difference in overall length so it might not be very easy. If any one has "junk" 5ive panels I can chop up I'd love to try that direction first. I'm going to tinker with making a smaller ( cheaper) body bigger but if all else fails might just buy a hoonage or woodster one piece body.
    Last edited by Holdenracing; 12-29-2015 at 01:13 AM.

RC Competitor
    That's exciting! I hope my ordered wheels and tires work. I ordered these, \/ so hopefully they will fit. That would be pretty cool to have options.

RC Competitor
    That's exciting! I hope my ordered wheels and tires work. I ordered these, \/ so hopefully they will fit. That would be pretty cool to have options.

Sweet ! I can't wait to hear what it takes to make them fit ! Let us know your progress!

RC Competitor
    For sure, oh and.... No shelf queen here good sir.

Cool idea on the bumpers! Big bumpers and a big body are why the Slash is so incredibly durable. It would be awesome if you could get a short course body to fit. Keep us updated!
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Competitor
    I fully agree with you nitro chicken. Durability is much better with the tires enclosed. I've started making inner fenders while the body stuff is in the mail. Hopefully the guys worried that their rc car doesn't "look pretty enough" have already checked out of this thread , just trying to rig up something functional out of the scrap material I have laying around from real cars. will shoe goo work if I get clear bodies and paint them, then glue them together with shoe goo ?!? Will the shoe goo just pull the paint right off eventually? Anyone have experience with shoe goo on non-factory paint ? I've never attempt it .

Those big wheels have lots of grip and when they tag somthing they rip the truck apart.

That bumper is awesome definitely would have saved mine frome breaking.

As for looks, it looks like itll protect the truck.

i was wondering if those shock towers would act like some what of a fender well.
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Qualifier
    I fully agree with you nitro chicken. Durability is much better with the tires enclosed. I've started making inner fenders while the body stuff is in the mail. Hopefully the guys worried that their rc car doesn't "look pretty enough" have already checked out of this thread , just trying to rig up something functional out of the scrap material I have laying around from real cars. will shoe goo work if I get clear bodies and paint them, then glue them together with shoe goo ?!? Will the shoe goo just pull the paint right off eventually? Anyone have experience with shoe goo on non-factory paint ? I've never attempt it .
    Sometimes it does peel off the paint.

RC Competitor
    i was wondering if those shock towers would act like some what of a fender well.
    Sort of, but not at all , lol . They work great as a start to fender wells . Makes it a lot easier to finish plugging the existing hole than a normal style rc.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Multirotor View Post
    Sometimes it does peel off the paint.
    Thanks for the info... Not sure where that leaves me though ?!?! At a failed project maybe lol. Really don't want to have to paint the outside because it won't last a day the wY I drive this truck.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Those big wheels have lots of grip and when they tag somthing they rip the truck apart.

That bumper is awesome definitely would have saved mine frome breaking.

As for looks, it looks like itll protect the truck.
    I think your right on about the wheels and tires .

RC poster
    I can't speak for the DBXL tires, but I was able to do one run on the 5t tires. Everything went just fine. I would recommend anybody with interest in doing so for the long term to get some washers behind the wheel nuts so they won't mare the rims or get pulled through.