RC Competitor

Wondering if I should wait

Man everything I'm reading on the forums and the net if traxxas might have pushed this truck out early ...I'm second guessing myself on this truck wondering if I should wait a few months on this truck ..were traxxas may release a updated version of xmaxx .The overheating issues ..all the broken parts with one or two runs on it.I'm not bashing them or this truck but 800.00 for this truck having this much problems makes me wonder.This truck was going to be my first 5th scale electric truck I've been into 5th scale Gasser or 5th boats for the last 15 years ..I've been in the hobby for 23 years now ...never electric side of the hobby.

RC Qualifier
    I have read quite a bit on this forum and others and common sense says if you bash and run your car hard it is going to break. If you don't check your temps and your keep running packs through the car it will catch on fire. If you have been in the hobby that long you already know how to play responsibly. I highly doubt Traxxas rushed to release this model any more than they have with other models. I have one of the first version XO-1s and this thing has taken it's share of hits during runs and it is still going.

RC Racer
    I'll agree. Although I'm sure there is manufacturer error for some of the things we've posted, I'm sure some of it is operator error. If your doing huge jumps, or slamming into stuff, then yes stuff is gonna break. For me full size car tires are the worst. Everytime I've crashed into a car tire i've broken something. Also keep in mind, on most forums you typically only hear about the bad stuff. I know there is exceptions but most people don't buy something and then post on a forum to praise it, they only join to post if something goes bad. I'm sure 80% of the x-maxx's sold, the people have no clue this forum even exists.

RC Competitor
    Id have to say the true and fair on both you guys posts ...im looking forward to the truck ..but i guess i have some reserved I planned on putting in a few bucks into the truck with the aftermarket that was probably going to be out there later in the game but don't want to have to put crazy money and stuff just to be able to enjoy it or go through the process of RMA all sorts of different faulty components in the truck dealing with Traxxas. Between the two 5th scale gasser Boats and my 5th scale truck I've probably got $6000 worth of toys right now.

RC Enthusiast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I have read quite a bit on this forum and others and common sense says if you bash and run your car hard it is going to break. If you don't check your temps and your keep running packs through the car it will catch on fire. If you have been in the hobby that long you already know how to play responsibly. I highly doubt Traxxas rushed to release this model any more than they have with other models. I have one of the first version XO-1s and this thing has taken it's share of hits during runs and it is still going.
    I agree 100% with you.. Just got done explaining this very thing to one of my best friends who is now buying 2 rc's for his boy's Treat it with respect and it should work well...if not Traxxas will take care of you!
    I'm curious how many of these they actually sold, with so many hitting the streets there are bound to be a few odd issues pop up. IMO, I wouldn't be too concerned with waiting.

RC Competitor
    I LOVE my truck and I am actually going to buy another one this summer so a friend won't destroy my yeti I plan on sinking some serious cash into. That being said this truck is pretty tough! The jump that cracked the rim was a pile of dirt six foot almost straight up. I took it at high speeds, I don't baby my "toys" I treat them like they are just that.

I can't lie when I was the first person to have a super maxx I took it to a dirt bike track and was shooting for distance off the table top. Over shot the landing and put a brand new truck and .21 motor in a pond wheels up. Laughed my off and tossed it in the bed of my real truck and pulled out a mostly stock truck to continue bashing with friends.

I told the guys at the hobby shop I'd see them in a week for new parts. I run these guys pretty hard, almost with the intent to break them a little. Let's face it demolition dirby's are awesome to watch (at least for me maybe). If you baby the truck and only run in grassy fields you'll never break a thing. If you run it at un looked over construction sites full speed most of the time you will break stuff. For me I like repairing/ upgrading my trucks and cars.

All in all I don't regret a second of owning the truck. I plan on buying more 3s batteries just because of it. I have a yeti XL I just have been running 4s in it.

I'd mirror what's already been said if you treat it a certain way exspect those results to follow.

*Watch the language and remove words the language filter has edited out
    Last edited by Double G; 12-28-2015 at 07:52 AM.

RC Racer
    I'll agree again. You just gotta respect it. I personally don't bash hard. I do like jumps, but I don't do the crazy jumps you see people where they are launching their trucks 50 ft in the air or going off overpasses or just ridiculous stuff. Most of the stuff is plastic. It can and will break. It's also a new truck, and there may be some issues, but they will for sure get fixed. Traxxas didn't get to be #1 by putting broken stuff into the market and not fixing it. Even the top brands are not immune. Castles ICE series for helis had all kinds of problems with heli's. They were catching fire left and right. I can't see traxxas having to recall the whole truck. There may be a bad part or 2 but traxxas will surely take care of it if so.

RC Enthusiast
    How many trucks are sold and how many trucks have had problems in percentage? =)
    Go get you car and have som fun.. You only live once =)

Its fragile

Broke to fast for me. Its about as sturdy as any traxxas RC. I was hoping that it would be beefed up more. The shock shafts breaking at the end of the thread was dissapointing, the wheel carrier busting is just one more thing.

I guess i had high expectations. I do feel let down. I wanted a truck that i could horse whip and not worry about. One that i could let friends and family drive without worrying that if they crash it will break.

I'll be patiently waiting for some after market plastics,

This truck looked like a bashers dream come true. All this talk about carefull driving is for the birds.
    Last edited by Fuglio; 12-28-2015 at 02:25 AM.

RC Racer
    2 replies from me and now I don't agree. Careful driving is not for the birds. If you want a vehicle you can slam into crap and not break anything, you probably should play a video game. Failing that, choose a much cheaper vehicle to abuse. I'm not saying you can't have fun with an r/c, but if I have a stampede and an xmaxx, i'm gonna use the stampede to do 50 ft jumps with. For what it's worth, I've let my 7 yr old drive my stampede like crazy around the yard and she hasn't broke anything yet. I've broken plenty. I've broken the "wonder" RPM a-arms. You also have to realize this truck weighs twice as much if not more than most r/c trucks. The bigger they are , the harder they fall. Can't expect to drive this truck the same way you can drive a 1/10 truck. 5 lbs slamming into a tree does much less damage than 20 lbs slamming into a tree. No R/C , or anything for that matter is immune to breaking. If you take the computer monitor your looking at now and throw it at the wall and it breaks, are you gonna blame whoever made it, and say if you can't throw your monitor at a wall and not have it break that it's for the birds?
    Last edited by stingeragents; 12-28-2015 at 02:35 AM.

RC Competitor
    NO ! Don't wait ! Get on the waiting list now. I have one, I have driven it hard. Hard enough to blast the body off in a crash once. I will say the self righting scares me for longevity so I have never used and will not use mine. But as some one above said "it's as strong and any other traxxas" and I think traxxas cars are generally peretty tough. You get WAY mor rc for your dollar than something like the erevo and if you already own that many nice 1/5 scale cars you know the difference in reasonable and unreasonable bashing. You won't regret getting one. I don't believe there are any inherent problems plaguing this rig by any means. Grab a ten dollar fan when you buy the rig to keep it cooler than factory and I think you'll enjoy this truck just as much as your others. If you get a weird (and pretty rare ) defect like an air bubble in the upper shock body mount, it's been made peretty clear by traxxas get you will get a new part free of cost. So as an owner of an "early" model, I would say, Buy it !

RC Competitor
    I appreciate all the posts back ..i guess ill have to see how things good in the next week. As for respecting that this is a big 20 lbs truck i agree and its not invincible like any other large heavy rc truck aren't either. But im just look at some other manufacturers out the that make 5th scale trucks (in not saying any names ) and for the price point your are much more durable. ..i know this personally that kinda makes me hesitant alittle
    Last edited by David1970; 12-28-2015 at 02:51 AM.

RC Competitor
    I'll probably end up buying one in the end back in the day ive had 3 t-max all hopped up all aftermarket drop alot of coin in them as im sure we all did and i enjoyed them with my younger sons ...sold them and got out for nitro and my sons got older and didn't run them much ..i moved on to 5th scale gasser Boats and truck it was more for myself tho .Told myself i would never go back to nitro and i didnt. .but was always interested in electric so heard traxxas x maxx coming out i was very interested

Quote Originally Posted by paulbaumann View Post
    How many trucks are sold and how many trucks have had problems in percentage? =)
    =)
    Good question, and having the answer is valuable for current and potential future owners!

Anybody have reliable numbers?

RC Enthusiast
    I beat the crap out of my Stampede 4x4 daily and it takes it very well with minimal upgrades. My x-maxx is driven daily as well but not double back flipped or hucked off of our local skate park. Not saying you can't do what you like but please don't knock a vehicle for being (fragile) when it is just actually being abused... I still have zero broken parts and have ran 6 or 7 full sets of batteries through it. Guess what I'm saying is if you drive it extremely hard expect breakage and have fun repairing it

I am waiting till summer,and will probably put a new power system in it, that will be out buy then.

RC Competitor
    I look at it like this. If you think you should wait because maybe the next will be better, then wait, the next might be even better yet, there will always be something better around the corner and all you end up doing is constantly waiting for the next big thing and never buying anything. If you want it, buy it now and stop waiting for the next better thing.
    T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

RC Racer
    I run mine pretty hard and have not had any problems at all to speak off. I have not had a single heat issue but I attribute that to the fact that I only run the truck on dirt or loose surfaces. (to allow the limited slip and TSM to work properly) I do a short cooling pause for a minute or two if I just ran through a ruff section. I stay off the concrete/blacktop stuff to keep the strain off the 4x4 drive line. Just my two cents worth.

I pre ordered mine in nov, but according to the lhs, I am not getting mine til mid Jan, .... Yeah.

Looking forward to it!! Going to be awesome!!

Rc cars are made to slam around. If the computer monitor broke by turning up the brightness it would be an apt analogy.

My expectations were too high. If you let a newb drive this truck itll break fairly quickly.

Steel shock shafts breaking on threads is a big disappointment. The shafts are about 3mm smaller in diameter on the threaded portion rather then being the same size the total length.

Im just speaking to my personal experience with the truck.

Suggestions to just drive it carefully are unacceptable. Its a monster truck basher. Its intended use is bashing, not racing not crawling, bashing.

I dont thibk asking for it to hold up to two days of bashing is asking too much given the trucks intended use and target market.

Its just my opinion.

RC Enthusiast
    I fully agree with all these post, I was hesitant after my pre-order hearing all the "gloom" seems everything was busting, going wrong and I was very undecided. But then It came and must say I am Impressed ran 4 full packs through and can't stop smiling the whole 30-35 minutes, (haven't broke anything or heat issues also) actually speechless, this is a beast of a truck. I fully agree If you beat the snot out of it ANYTHING will bust, It is common sense and some driving skill or driving common sense you'd say? This truck is very well built solid and very fast for its size yet very controllable...but hey every one is entitled to there own style of driving and preference..so don't let every thing you hear detor you, this truck hands down it AMAZING.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Rc cars are made to slam around. If the computer monitor broke by turning up the brightness it would be an apt analogy.

My expectations were too high. If you let a newb drive this truck itll break fairly quickly.

Steel shock shafts breaking on threads is a big disappointment. The shafts are about 3mm smaller in diameter on the threaded portion rather then being the same size the total length.

Im just speaking to my personal experience with the truck.

Suggestions to just drive it carefully are unacceptable. Its a monster truck basher. Its intended use is bashing, not racing not crawling, bashing.

I dont thibk asking for it to hold up to two days of bashing is asking too much given the trucks intended use and target market.

Its just my opinion.
    I'd have to totally agree with this you buy a truck that is supposedly supposed to be for bashing and everyone says that it's fragile. Everyone's opinion is to drive the truck carefully so you have a less chance of breaking. I'll say again there are a few trucks that are out there that are in this scale range that out of the box stock plastic will hold up to quite a lot of abuse. And this truck seems to be a little bit more than fragile.

RC Competitor
    My 2 cents......this is not my first monster truck or off road vehicle, I have many r/c products, small and large, air and land (no boats) and I have NEVER had one that I didn't have to fix or modify in some way shape or form, that's the biggest part of the fun for me, tinkering, fixing, and then testing (testing means flying or driving until it somehow breaks again!) . This is the first and only brand new land vehicle I have purchased and was very hesitant at first just because of the price but I looked at all the features this truck offers and it fit well with where I'm at in this hobby, and compared to ALL my other r/c vehicles this thing is a breeze to work on and that saves me time so I can charge and drive more!! I agree with an above post that u can't keep waiting for the next best thing or all u do is wait! I personally love this truck, it takes a beating and keeps going, any issues I've had so far have been self inflicted due to lack of reading and understanding on my part, now that I have about 4 good runs on it and have read all the instructions I have had ZERO issues with this truck, I say get one and have a blast!!

Quote Originally Posted by David1970 View Post
    I'd have to totally agree with this you buy a truck that is supposedly supposed to be for bashing and everyone says that it's fragile. Everyone's opinion is to drive the truck carefully so you have a less chance of breaking. I'll say again there are a few trucks that are out there that are in this scale range that out of the box stock plastic will hold up to quite a lot of abuse. And this truck seems to be a little bit more than fragile.
    I highly doubt that everyone is saying it is fragile and to drive it carefully. There are plenty of posts even in this thread that state otherwise. Even Big Squid RC gave it decent marks and they are not big fans of Traxxas.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    You buy one double g ?

Nope. Don't have the room or the budget for one right now.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Ok this truck is not fragile . It's just not . Period . Watch the video that razor hobbies did , they didn't break anything, so it's clearly not fragile. If you hit a mailbox post at full throttle with the A-arms it will break , but this is a very tough truck to bash around . It's just as tough or "good" as every e-maxx , erevo, ect. It's AT LEAST as strong as every other RC you have owned. That's the only real way to sum it up for someone who doesn't own one yet.expect it to be As strong as all of the other good quality stuff in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Rc cars are made to slam around.
    i don't see anywhere on the box or in the manuals where it says "go ahead and crash this vehicle, it will survive crashes"

don't get me wrong, i like to go big and get stupid with them, but i don't complain when they break from it. crashing anything can sometimes result in damage. i know it's not the same thing, but drive a real car into a tree at 13mph, should you complain and say "it wasn't even a bad crash and it broke, what a piece of junk."

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdenracing View Post
    Ok this truck is not fragile . It's just not . Period . Watch the video that razor hobbies did , they didn't break anything, so it's clearly not fragile. If you hit a mailbox post at full throttle with the A-arms it will break , but this is a very tough truck to bash around . It's just as tough or "good" as every e-maxx , erevo, ect. It's AT LEAST as strong as every other RC you have owned. That's the only real way to sum it up for someone who doesn't own one yet.expect it to be As strong as all of the other good quality stuff in the market.
    I completely agree with this. We have heard from several people who bash theirs HARD and have had no issues. I think the design of the truck is solid and made for serious bashing. I think we have seen some "quality control" issues which is the reason for some users having things break seemingly easily. I haven't run into any issues with mine yet, but I also haven't done any real bashing yet either (as it's well below freezing here right now). To anyone questioning whether to get one or not, I would say "Go For It" If your truck is free from defects you will be just fine, and if there are defects with the one you happen to get, Traxxas will take care of you.
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    i don't see anywhere on the box or in the manuals where it says "go ahead and crash this vehicle, it will survive crashes"

don't get me wrong, i like to go big and get stupid with them, but i don't complain when they break from it. crashing anything can sometimes result in damage. i know it's not the same thing, but drive a real car into a tree at 13mph, should you complain and say "it wasn't even a bad crash and it broke, what a piece of junk."
    Im happy with the truck. It was a Christmas present for my wife, she loves it. I was hoping that it would handle crashes without snapping.

I had high expectations. I guess my head was in the clouds.

Im about to order a bunch of spare parts for it.

The list of things to keep on hand is long,

Shock shafts
    Right lower a arms
    Left lower a arms
    Upper a arms
    Wheel carriers
    Shock caps
    Front and rear bumper

I like the truck its fun, my family loves it
    We are having a blast with it. I dont regret buying it at all.

Given its size it is very tough, however it breaks easier than a 1/10 scale. I was hoping it to be able to handle some hard bashing. Your mileage may very.

Just one mans opinion.

RC Competitor
    I've done some good bashing and this thing actually surprises me. I went out on Saturday, in 2 degree weather, to the skate park (knowing this is deadly to RC) there was many lid flops, running hard into the side of a half pipe, jumping, crashing and a lot of noises that I thought for sure broke something. My truck walked away with some scratches and nothing broken. for that temperature, speed and size of the truck i was rather impressed with durability of it.

we all drive a little bit different and bash a little different, but from my experience, its holding up just as well as my erevo does.
    XMAXX, 1/16th SUMMIT, EREVO

that's a pretty standard complement of spare parts whenever you go out bashing or racing, except the shock caps and shafts. glad to hear your family is enjoying the truck.

RC Racer
    To say it is a fragile truck is far fetched as i disagree otherwise. Now im no beginner and as we used to say in my college days if you dont break something before the weekend was over your not doing something right. And we bashed our cars hard.

Like the saying goes: Bash, Break, Fix, Repeat.

Not to say we tried to break our cars. Our fun in the most part seemed to take our cars to the breaking edge.
    Alot of people even confuse my video as we purposely tried to break our X-maxx. Which was far from it. We started small then the more we saw the truck was able to take. The more we raised the bar and bashed it more. That way we could show off its durability. We did this because we had people ask us how durable the truck was. So before parts were even available we shot our video bashing the x-maxx when no one else was ready too due to parts availability. Heck we only recently just broke a shock. And it was not due to fragile or flaw. We jumped it off a free way overpass into the side bank that comes down the side. It landed barely on one wheel and that was all it took because of the big jump.

Everyone has there own way of running. Some people like speed runs, others like bashing, and then you have your show and crawler guys. You do whats fun for you in this hobby. If everyone listened to everyone this hobby would not be fun it would get old quick.

Sometimes its best to take everything with a grain of salt and get your own experience. So far what we have seen in the total scheme of things is still small compared to all the experiences out there as a whole out of the thousands that have been sold.

RC Racer
    I'm sure that Traxxas did their homework with this vehicle,however with that being said,it is common for there to be growing pains with the first release of something so I would wait.

This truck can break. I know that personally, I've broken a few parts on mine. But this truck is way tougher than 90% of everything out there. Minus one or two known weak spots, it's really tough. When you compare this to an E-Maxx, T-Maxx, or any other large truck it's way better out of the box. Even with a weak spot or two the aftermarket will have those fixed here in the next few months or so.

Even if something does go bad, Traxxas will take care of you, they really stand behind this truck. I see no need or reason to wait.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Racer
    I'll agree. The emaxx was a disaster when it first came out. I was snapping bulkheads left and right just barely bumping a curb. And those shocks broke like crazy. That and there was 8 so each crash where a shock was involved required 2 to replace. I'll reserve the 4x4 pede for hard bash sessions as I cartwheel that thing on the daily and rarely break anything.

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna wait about 6 months for the truck to let upgrades come out and bodies as I've witness the bodies flying off... Traxxas did great on the truck but I'm giving it time... I'm happy with my e revo for now

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    Sorry but no. I have plenty of RC cars (All but two are Traxxas) that I've run packs after packs through, none have caught fire. Yes, fires can happen, I'm not saying they cannot, but you seem to be implying that this is somehow normal. Things overheat ALL the time and manage to avoid going up in flames.
    Last edited by 2IS; 12-29-2015 at 04:51 PM.