Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

this is my xmaxx

i'll use this thread to keep my ramblings about my xmaxx in one place.

let me start by saying i'm having a blast with this thing. puts a big dumb grin on my face every time so far. i can't wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with on this one. anyways...

did tower hobbies play this trick on any one else? UPS man brings my box to me and i see the arrma logo on it and i'm thinking "uh oh."

's all good.

got my deans connectors on. holy cow the traxxas ID connectors are big.

i pull the tires off of any RTR the first time i power them up so if some setting is wrong and it goes WOT i don't have to wrestle a truck with ballooning tires in my face. well look what i find, the wheel nuts are serrated. i think they should have advertised this feature LOL. don't have to worry about these backing off.

while looking the truck over before turning it on, i noticed the heatsink on the motor wasn't pressed against it very well. in the center there was probably a 2mm gap in between the heatsink and the motor. so i pulled it out and the temp sensor was not in the groove on the heatsink, so it was pushing the heatsink away from the motor. i pulled it apart and made sure the sensor was in the groove. i always put zip ties around the heatsink/motor to put good pressure between them for better heat transfer. must be working all right, the temp gun shows the surface of the motor and the heatsink are within a few degrees of each other during hard running.

seems like every video i see of this truck, the driveline is squeaky. i can't handle the squeaks. so i put some dry lube in the following areas. works great, my truck is nice and quiet.

check this out, look at the steering block compared to one off of an original T-Maxx. not just the size, but look at the engineering in the X-Maxx block. awesome.

one problem i did have. finding something big enough to get the tires off the ground

Great post, thanks for sharing your findings, thoughts and tips!

RC Qualifier
    Mine came in the same outer box!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea I need to get some dry lube. My Xmaxx is squeaking now.
    We are all one race. The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Yea I need to get some dry lube. My Xmaxx is squeaking now.
    If you do, make sure to get a decent Teflon based lube. I've found non Teflon based ones barley last one run, where as the Teflon based ones last 10+ runs before I need to re lube them.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

I got the same lube. You can get it from Home Dee-pot.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I got the same lube. You can get it from Home Dee-pot.
    That's where I'm headed seeings how Hobbytown is across the way.

Great thread, thanks. I wonder if the gap you mentioned has anything to do with some of them getting hot?

RC Qualifier
    OMG! Those are huge deans plugs!

16F outside and freezing rain. no big deal, i stayed inside and ran the xmaxx from the warmth of the house! i just go from window to window and run the daylights out of it. WAY better than driving my summit from inside, the xmaxx's self righting is great, i don't have to go outside when i flip it over.
    had tons of fun drifting up and down the driveway going up in a big cloud of snow when it spun out. what a good time. ran the 6000's down to lvd, temp gun read 165 on the heatsink and 158 on the motor surface. hottest spot i could find on the ESC was 78. i didn't check the run time, was too busy tearing it up to care!

mmm...donuts. no need to plow, i did enough donuts and drifting to clear the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post

16F outside and freezing rain. no big deal, i stayed inside and ran the xmaxx from the warmth of the house! i just go from window to window and run the daylights out of it. WAY better than driving my summit from inside, the xmaxx's self righting is great, i don't have to go outside when i flip it over.
    had tons of fun drifting up and down the driveway going up in a big cloud of snow when it spun out. what a good time. ran the 6000's down to lvd, temp gun read 165 on the heatsink and 158 on the motor surface. hottest spot i could find on the ESC was 78. i didn't check the run time, was too busy tearing it up to care!

mmm...donuts. no need to plow, i did enough donuts and drifting to clear the snow.
    Looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing the temps you got, it's good to know I'm not the only one NOT having temp issues.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

finally had time to get fresh with her. they weren't joking when they said it was easier to work on. less than a minute to get the diffs out. plus a nice idiotproof tab so you can't install them backwards!

pull two screws from the lower bumper support, swing the bumper up and out of the way, and pull the little rubber impact absorber out

there's 3 square cutouts in the skid plate that you slide your driver through and allow you to pull the 3 lower screws out of the diff cover, then pull the top 2 screws out of the diff cover and it pulls right off

i found another great little feature that was never mentioned, the diff housing has this little tab on one side to ensure the diff cannot be installed backwards. very nice.

Ok, that's cool, all of it - the easy access and anti-backwards install tabs! informative post!

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! Just getting ready to change the diff fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by rippinex View Post
    Sweet! Just getting ready to change the diff fluid.
    Cool! What diff fluid are you going to install? Photos of your diff oil change (maybe in a separate diff oil change thread) would be cool!!

RC Racer
    Does swapping plugs cancel warranties still?

Quote Originally Posted by RC-PHASE View Post
    Does swapping plugs cancel warranties still?
    Spark plugs hahaha?

Plugs? Battery / ESC connectors you mean?

yeah, he's talking about the ESC battery connectors. i've run deans forever, so everything i have is wired for them. as far as voiding the warranty, from what i gather on the paperwork, most everything is at traxxas' discretion. so if i ever had to send it in, im sure they'd be able to tell that i knew what i was doing when i swapped the connectors.

RC poster
    Hey man I bought some Teflon lube it's liquid wrench but it says nothing about dry lube. Can I still use it?

not sure. it definitely has to be a dry type lube. if you use something like wd-40, it will attract dirt, get gritty, and wear out the joints faster.

put stickers on my shocks. sticker shock...(get it? lol)

took my xmaxx to the bmx track yesterday. i thought it was going to be a muddy mess but it turns out it was a sheet of slushy ice. holy cow i haven't had this much fun with r/c for a while. it's going to be really fun out there when it warms up. i can not believe how well this truck absorbs big time landings. i haven't had the shocks apart yet, but wow, they really got it right. it makes a really cool sound when you flat land on all 4 tires, so much weight coming down you can feel it in the earth. and it's a sight to see a 20+ lb truck flying 12 feet up in the air past you. temp gun showed 144 on the motor heatsink when i finished running. i ran for a while then i thought i'd try to capture some of the fun. it was really overcast and getting dark, sorry for the bad lighting.

here's a picture of the xmaxx sitting on top of one of the turns to get an idea of the scale of this track

the video

bmx park...owned

Yes you did own that track. Good video a joy to watch. I just got in from doing some driveway bashing talked the wife into shooting some video. I am working on editing now will post up in a bit. Great driving by the way.
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

RC Racer
    Great video thanks for posting

well i went back out to the bmx track. it was sunnier out, but the wind was really cold. i still can't say enough about the shocks on this thing. they absolutely SOAK up the big landings. i can't tell you how many times i launched it, but it was a ton. i finally tried it on 4s too. it's pretty slow and can't clear the big stuff, but it was a blast on the little kid track lol. definitely nice to have 4s as an option, i like that you don't have to change any settings or anything, just plug em in and have fun. i tried to get some onboard video this time, so i zip tied my phone onto the front bumper. didn't even get a lap in and the zip ties broke. truck went this way and my phone went that way, hilarious. i hope i can find someone else with an xmaxx so we can run them together at this place, that would be a riot.

RC Racer
    Completely stock ? Looks like great fun nice vid thanks for posting.

Fun vid and music, .... Awesome truck!

RC Racer
    Awesome vid, man the snow track looks like a pure blast!

Nice video. We tried to hit a local bmx track but it was all locked up with a big sign the said absolutely no rc vehicles.
    So I took mine out and busted it at the skate park. Still fun none the less
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

yes it's stock. except for the zip ties i put around the motor/heatsink.

bummer about your bmx track not allowing R/C.

RC poster
    Great videos! I like that big bowl corner.

so my xmaxx saved itself from its idiot user.

i threw it outside and i took a seat in front of my picture window and had a blast running it from the warmth of the house. i even used it to push the trash can and recycle bin from the road up to my garage (it was trash day and i have a long driveway lol). anyway, i ended up up getting stuck in an odd way in the flower bed and i didn't want to go get it. so i used the self righting probly 15 times as well as my own tries at rocking it out. finally i lost throttle, so i begrudgingly put some pants on to go out and see what's up. pull the body off and the ESC light is green so it's not lvd. then i noticed the little red light is flashing in the receiver box. then it hits me, near the end of a run and i'm rocking the living daylights out of it, so how hot is the motor? put my hand on it and she's cooking. run in to grab the temp gun and when i come back out the receiver box is no longer flashing and i have throttle again. hottest spot i could find on it was right in the center of the heatsink, 218F. i must say, it is really awesome that the truck prevented me from smoking the motor.

so after this incident, i finally got around to putting a fan on it. i even pulled the heatsink off and put thermal paste between it and the motor then i cinched the heatsink to the motor with zip ties. i'm just running the fan at BEC voltage for now so we'll see how she does.

i put this fan grill on it to give it some chance of survival. though i am thinking about flipping the fan over so it blows up, maybe that will help keep debris out of it?

spoiler alert!

i cut some scrap lexan to make a spoiler. though i'm not sure this one will have much effect up in the air on a truck this heavy. and it probably won't last long, but i've always liked the way they look on monster trucks for some reason.

it should be illegal to have this much fun!

i finally took my xmaxx to the local track. and it was the life of the party. every one flipped when they saw the size of it. this is a hard clay track with some big air. i geared down to 13/54 and that was pretty spot on for the track. it was quite a sight to see such a big vehicle rippin' it on a 1/10 track. no problem with the jumps, i could even clear a really long triple that no one else was doing. it makes a cool noise as it flies off the jumps, one guy yelled out "that thing sounds like a hurricane coming." then after that some kids kept saying "here comes the hurricane!" there were a couple guys out there with some losi monster trucks, xxle's i think, they weren't very experienced drivers, so they caused a lot of carnage and they had nothin for me and the xmaxx. and it's hilarious seeing something as big as an xmaxx chasin down a 2wd buggy lol, the bystanders were really getting into it. i probly ran it for over 2 hours in all. hottest the motor got was 154F, and that was after a full set on 4s and a full set on 6s back to back with no cool down time. she took a few good tumbles, mostly learning the timing on the triple. my spoiler held up like a champ though. also did a couple big lawn darts without issue. even the 'hardcore' racers got a kick out of it after they saw me running it.

in the pits.

one problem i did notice, 3 of my shocks started leaking today for the first time. i'm thinking this must be temperature related. my shocks should definitely be broken in by now, but every other time i've ran the truck was outside and it's always been under 35F, it was probly 65F or so inside at the track.

leaking right at the lower seals, you can see it about to drip.

remember on that movie idiocracy, when they had the worlds biggest monster truck and it wouldn't fit through the door? that's what i thought of when i tried to fit through the exit of the track surface lol.

i have so much fun every time i take this truck out.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Did you say the motor heat sink was at 218f?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Sweet truck.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Did you say the motor heat sink was at 218f?
    yeah, that day i overheated it. after it locked out my throttle inputs it was sitting outside (it was maybe 30F out that day) for about 5 minutes while i put some pants and stuff on to go get it. it must have cooled down enough during that 5 minutes because i had throttle again by the time i got out to it. haven't seen any ill effects since that happened though. plus i have the fan on it now.

RC Qualifier
    My shocks leaked since day one, even pulled em apart, polished the shafts and lubed up the o-rings like I do on my smaller stuff
    Didn't help nothing. The single super soft o-ring just ain't enough, when the shock shaft flexes and pushes against one side of the seal it makes a gap on the other side and it weeps by

interesting. i wonder why i've been able to do so much big air outside with no leakage whatsoever until i ran it inside today.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure , wasn't really cold here.. In the 50's low 60's the other day after I rebuilt em and they all were wet at the wiper seal down to the lower shock eyelet. It is what it is, some seam like they don't leak others do, it's not loosing enuff to get wild about just have to top it off every few days lol and trust me when I tell you all I do is ramp it off everything that looks like a launch ramp so me not being easy on it doesn't help!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast