Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    forgot to mention, i loosened the slipper just a hair for my track day since there's so much traction and big jumps. i've been reading about others having the slipper nut back way off on them, so i added another nut on the shaft. i didn't tighten it real tight, just snug. it didn't even get down to the nylon. after my post-track day inspection, it seems to have held just fine.

had another fun day at the local track

my xmaxx was the life of the party again at the track during another open practice day. everybody's mouth drops when i walk in with this thing. i can't tell you how many times i heard "oh my god!" i love their reaction when they look it over. she definitely got 'handled' quite a bit. it's so fun, i actually ran this most of the day and only did a couple runs with my 1/8th buggy. everyone seems so shocked at how it can get around the track. they keep saying "dang, what did you do to it to get it to handle like that?" i just tell them "nothing, it came like this." in case you didn't read about my last trip to the track, i geared it down to 13/54 and today i tried 14/54. i actually like 13/54 better at this track, it stays in the powerband a little more and runs a bit cooler. the shocks leaked quite a bit again today, all 4 of them this time to the point where it leaves 4 wet spots on the pit table. i hope they come out with a better seal or something. i had someone record a few laps of me running this time and as you can see she sticks out like a fat waitress at hooters family restaraunt. the track is 110'x73' and the xmaxx really makes it look tiny.

RC Champion
    Great thread, I've really enjoyed it. I was at the outdoor track today with my Slash 4x4 and I finally got to see an Xmaxx in person. I couldn't believe how well it handled. Those shocks soak up the biggest jumps with ease. I'm really going to have a hard time not getting one. Thanks for the thread, keep it up!

RC Qualifier
    Super jealous you have a indoor track that's runs 1/8 scale, I took mine out on the 1/10 scale clay track here by me and burned a few laps, it does handle really well for what it is, only problem is the sloppy servo saver. I couldn't stay out to Long, the 1/10 buggy guys literally pulled to the side and let me burn a few laps by myself. Haha they didn't want nothing to do with getting under the XMAXX

I have an indoor track by me but they are regularly running races a practice rounds. Is it typical for them to open the tracks to open class practice? Wouldn't mind taking the X Maxx out for a test run on an indoor track.
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

RC Qualifier
    You should probably call them and ask first most indoor tracks are 10 scale only and rarely let an eighth scale buggy in, I'm friends with the guy that runs the track so he let me take my xmaxx out there but not like I could stay out all night

RC Racer
    Very entertaining and insightful post. Thanks.

so i had a few sodas the other night and scratched this up. not bad for my first one. it's pretty big, but yet again, the xmaxx is making it look small like every thing else lol. should be interesting.

RC Racer
    Any video that's a great looking ramp

i'm working on it...

just finished editing the video, i don't have time to upload it tonight but here's a teaser...

It's a bird, it's a plane. No it's Super XMAXX Man. Did you break anything on that landing?????

RC Competitor
    I wanna we that video asap ��

RC Qualifier
    I like this guys style! Great minds think alike haha

Quote Originally Posted by dwilli9013 View Post
    It's a bird, it's a plane. No it's Super XMAXX Man. Did you break anything on that landing?????
    nope. she's all good.

big truck - big air

here's my xmaxx flyin high off my new ramp and over my old rustbucket ZR2 pickup. afraid if i fly any higher i might have to register with the FAA

Great angle and height starting at 6:04!! Wow!! You know how to jump... and land!
    Biggest: 9:32 and 9:46.

Any damage?

Man, that's some crazy stuff going on. I really like your little spoiler you made. It looks good.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Dang! Killing' it! That is sooo sick, you drive that like a boss

RC Qualifier
    Chances you jump it on to the roof in the next video? Or just jump it over the garage in general??? Seems like you've got plenty of height, just not sure about distance (enough speed). I'd like to see some roof action!

Solid video though man, some of the best and most controlled jumps I've seen yet with the X-Maxx
    Just can't get enough....

RC Qualifier
    Excellent work. Traxxas should put that video on their website as an advertisement.
    Last edited by bigtim1985; 02-10-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Great angle and height starting at 6:04!! Wow!! You know how to jump... and land!
    Biggest: 9:32 and 9:46.

Any damage?
    thanks. no damage. this truck just eats the big hits.

epic snow bash

so winter is finally in full swing here. temperature was -4F and windchill was -14F. still not gonna stop me and the xmaxx from rippin it up. i'm really starting to run out of adjectives to describe this amazing truck...

RC Racer
    that is some great jumps. best i have seen. i wanna see a house jump!

RC Qualifier
    Wow! Amazing jumps (and landings)! Any chance you can share how you made your ramp? Materials and maybe a few tricks on making it? I'm wanting an X Maxx more than ever now.

RC Competitor
    Yeah i want to know how to build the ramp too!

RC Racer
    My buddy and i have two ramps similar to that style. We decided to try and and be as cool...... He broke a shock shaft on his losi and i took out both control arms and the driveshaft since i obviously didnt stick the landing.
    Last edited by vwp6269; 02-16-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: clarified what broke on the losi and my lack of being able to land

thanks guys.
    @vwp...ouch, that's a bummer. i bet it was fun while it lasted!

my ramp was pretty simple to make. i went to the hardware store and bought two 8'x4' sheets of plywood. one was cheapo particle/waffleboard for the sides and one was a nice sheet of 1/2" plywood for the face that already had a pretty good bow to it. i think i paid $10 for the waffleboard and $16 for the plywood. for the framing i just used some 2x4's and 2x2's that i had laying around. i didn't measure and it was mostly all just eyeballed. anyway, here's a quick sketch of the steps i took...

finished product measurements...

RC Competitor
    Nice Thanks!!

teardown time

i'm tearing it down to inspect the driveline. everything's in order so far. actually i can't believe how little wear the components are showing considering the hard miles i've put on it between big air, snow runs, and track time.

and just for fun, look at the xmaxx shock next to a big bore for a T/E maxx.

well the teardown revealed some breakage. broke both ears off of the front upper bulkhead where the hinge pins go through. cool that the pin is captured 4 times, so i had no idea these were even broken because the other pieces held the pin in place. i wonder how long these have been broken.

RC Racer
    Great thread thanks for the pics

so with the motor out of the truck the drivetrain has a little more resistance than i'd like, i just thought it was the grease in the bearings and they'd loosen up in time. but while i was servicing the bearings i noticed they all had quite a bit of resistance in them. as i was going through the bearings i happened to notice that for whatever reason, one seal on each bearing was tight and caused a lot of resistance. so i would take both seals off a bearing and try each one by itself and spin it and i could really feel the difference. so i did them the way i do in my 1/8th scale buggy and i'm only running one seal on the exposed side. i know they will require a lot more maintenance running like this, but they are so easy to get to that i don't mind. i did the wheel bearings and the diff output bearings this way and with the truck back together the whole drivetrain has a TON less resistance in it now. can't wait to try it once all this snow melts a little.

seals on the exposed sides

no seals on the insides

look how many seals i removed doing this

also i'm changing the shocks to 50wt and realized they don't fit in my shock stand, had to improvise with a cardboard box so they can sit and let the air bubbles out lol.

couple of updates.

i've finally been able to run it since i removed the bearing seals that are not exposed and WOW, what a difference. truck is quite a bit faster now and i can definitely feel how much it freed up the drivetrain.

also i got around to installing the fusible link, seems to be running just fine with my deans connectors.

imagine the surprise on my face when i cut the traxxas connectors off and see this. do yourself a favor and say this out loud in your best arnold schwarzenegger voice..."IT'S MADE OF COPPAH!"

it's pretty thin wire in some really thick insulation. the stock wire has 7 'bundles' of wire in it whereas the fusible link is about the size of 1 of those bundles. i'm not an electrical engineer, so i'll leave it up to traxxas and run it like this.

i cannot stand safety warning tags, but i think this one definitely needs to stay on it. so i cut the giant tag down as small as i could leaving just the english part. look how much i cut off lol.

well they always say 'go big or go home', i say 'go big AT home'.

currently inside this 900 square foot garage is an Impala, a crew cab Silverado, a Camaro, a dirtbike, 2 pitbikes, a lawn tractor, a push mower, a snow blower, etc...

i still need to cut the junk out of the video and upload it but here's a teaser...

Last edited by rizz0d; 03-16-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Racer
    This is an amazing thread! Thanks for sharing all the pics, videos and taking the time to write this down. Much inspiration. Very instructions. Wow. Amaze. Yay!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very cool thread! Go big at home! I need to build a ramp like that man

Waiting for the footage
    We are all one race. The human race.

thanks. i was starting to wonder if any one was even reading this thread. someone makes a post about which color truck is better and it gets a bunch of replies and i post a picture jumping my truck over my house and its crickets lol.

Tons are reading it. I actually have the shot of your XMAXX busting through the sheet of ice as background on my tablet.
    Just don't have alot of time to get on and make all the shout outs I would like too. Keep up the awesome stunts and videos I for one thoroughly enjoy each new installment.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast