Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    thanks. i was starting to wonder if any one was even reading this thread. someone makes a post about which color truck is better and it gets a bunch of replies and i post a picture jumping my truck over my house and its crickets lol.
    LOL (because I also commented on the colours and feel silly now aha)

If that makes you feel better, I've shown your videos to friends that didn't believe me this truck could jump so high.
    YOU'RE FAMOUS NOW RIZZ!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm not the only one showing your videos?! My friends at work are sick of seeing your awesome jumps. You also helped me build my first ramp by giving me great details and advice. I love your truck and don't stop posting. I promise we're lurking.

Here's the ramp I built (went a little shorter than the 8' plywood since it was too heavy), but it's perfect size for my Stampede:

alright cool. i'll try to keep it up since people are reading it.

@AGHolman: nice ramp, that is perfect for your stampede!

next video is rendering now and coming up...

x-maxx vs house!

couple of problems i'm having trying to jump over my house. yeah....my house.

1. no center diff! the run up to this jump is too short and it's in bumpy grass. so i have to feather the throttle like crazy or it just flips over. hard to get going fast in a short run up when you can't keep the front end down so i'm not getting the speed i need. if i had a center diff, i could drop the hammer and be at top speed by the time i get to the ramp since i wouldn't have to worry about it flipping over.

2. i have to stand behind the ramp to line it up for the launch, so once it gets airborne and it's over the crest of the house i can't see it to sight the landing so i don't know what corrections are needed to land it cleanly. as you can clearly see by me still being on full throttle and cocked sideways when it hits the ground. if i could see it in the air i could correct and land it properly.

as a side note, i've never used TSM as i'm not a fan of it, but i did use it for these launches and it did a terrific job on the bumpy grass keeping me centered to hit the ramp square.

also notice when it hits the corner of the roof how much the roof deflects

i measured the distance from the end of the ramp to the crater in the ground where it landed and it flew over 50 feet!!

luckily i had parts on hand so she's already back together good as new.

video does not do this justice, but here it is...

Last edited by Double G; 03-19-2016 at 09:48 AM. Reason: language

OMG you did it. Wow that is sick as all get out. Well worth the few broken parts for those shots.
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

RC poster
    Wow!!! I can't belive it didn't break when it landed on the front corner. These trucks look awsome. Nice work.

RC Racer
    That was awesome.

RC Enthusiast
    Great Video!! Only the arms and shock shaft broke. This beast is tough!

RC Champion
    Wow great videos bud!
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

to further expand upon what i was talking about earlier about the excess resistance in the bearing seals, here's a short video of what i was talking about.

for the wheel bearings and the diff carrier bearings, i remove the seal from the side that is not exposed to dirt. this has really freed the whole drivetrain up quite a bit as that's 6 rotating assemblies that have way less resistance than before.

take your diff out and set it in the diff housing cover, give it a spin and you'll see how much resistance i'm talking about. or just remove your pinion and wheels, then try to spin one of the wheel hexes and you'll see how much resistance there is in your entire drivetrain. i was shocked.

RC Champion
    to further expand upon what i was talking about earlier about the excess resistance in the bearing seals, here's a short video of what i was talking about.

for the wheel bearings and the diff carrier bearings, i remove the seal from the side that is not exposed to dirt. this has really freed the whole drivetrain up quite a bit as that's 6 rotating assemblies that have way less resistance than before.

take your diff out and set it in the diff housing cover, give it a spin and you'll see how much resistance i'm talking about. or just remove your pinion and wheels, then try to spin one of the wheel hexes and you'll see how much resistance there is in your entire drivetrain. i was shocked.

That's a big difference did u add grease after removing the seal?

when i made this video i had not cleaned them out or added anything to them yet. these were stock bearings with the stock grease in them after plenty of runs to 'loosen' them up. i just happen to spin the bearings in my hand when i went to open them and that's when i realized that each bearing had one really tight seal on it. so the before and after shots have the exact same grease in them.

RC Racer
    Those jumps are insane! Nice job! I can't believe it survived the first few landings. Landing on a flat ground without breaking is nothing short of spectacular. That last one was asking for it, landing on a single wheel, then again you didn't break much.

Thanks for sharing that diff & bearing seals video. Very interesting. I'm curious how it will hold up in the long term, there's got to be a reason the Traxxas engineers put a seal there, I can't help but wonder. If all it takes a an occasional cleanup and repacking then this looks like it's definitely worth it.

I'm still on 2S, I switched to 18/54 gearing this weekend I can barely tell a difference. The biggest jump I've hit was about 3 feet, I need a much bigger yard lol!

i think once the stock bearings are worn out i will go with the avid revolutions for the diff and wheel bearings. the revolutions have a rubber seal on one side and a metal shield on the other.

RC Champion
    I think I'm going to remove inner seals on mine on all the wheel and diff bearings

homey can frontflip!

here's another big air bonanza for everyone. honestly i'm running out of things to jump my x-maxx over. this time i jump over a japanese maple tree, over the deck, over the bird feeder, over the vegetable garden, over the ZR2 pickup. then i was having a nice jam session when i tried a frontflip and it worked pretty good. did a few more then got cocky and went for the double frontflip which didn't end well and i limp it back to the house. enjoy...

p.s. the frontflips start at 6:00 if you can't wait

RC Racer
    Ahahaha the opening and closing cracked me up And of course everything in between is spectacular. It makes my xmaxx look like a pile of bricks aha, I didn't expect you'd get so much air with just about 20-30 feet of acceleration, this is nuts!

RC Competitor
    great video! but clearly at 7:45 it went down hill pretty quick.

RC Champion

Did u also remove the seal from the wheels?

RC poster
    Hey RIZZ0D Where are you from. I ask because I seen you went to AMS and looks to be the same track that i have been to before.

Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    Did u also remove the seal from the wheels?
    yep. the wheel bearings also have 2 seals that are not exposed to dirt, so i removed those. i only run the wheel and diff carrier bearings like this because they are so easy to remove for service. i run marine grease in the blue pinion gear bearings since you have to take so much apart to get at those.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto x View Post
    Hey RIZZ0D Where are you from. I ask because I seen you went to AMS and looks to be the same track that i have been to before.
    I'm just a few minutes away from AMS. Not sure if you follow racing, but AMS is Dakotah Phend's home practice track.

i just replaced a lower a-arm and the new one has an 'R' on it to denote it's for the right side and my stockers did not. nice touch, it's the little things lol.

and i've often heard that stickers increase horsepower, so i threw one on my driveshaft to be safe

youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

gear candy!

got my new spiral cut ring and pinion gears installed. the stock gears are holding up fine, but i got these anyway because of awesomeness.

weight difference. shhh, don't tell her i used the food scale for this

mmmm...gears

Last edited by rizz0d; 04-03-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling

RC poster
    Great thread! LOVE the vids.

RC Qualifier
    Any ideas what's causing this 'tightness' of the bearings?
    Is the outer ring thin / fit of the bearing tight, and the bearing being deformed such that the outer ring's being pushed into the rubber seal?
    That's difference is not slight, it's huge.

Al.

it's the seals. all of the wheel and diff carrier bearings were like this. i spun the bearing in my hand with both seals on and it was tight. i took both seals off and it spun freely. put one of the seals back on and it was tight again. took that one off and put the other one on by itself and it spun freely. they all had 1 'tight' seal. so i left the tight seal off on the side that's not exposed to dirt and the whole drivetrain freed up a ton. i never tested the truck's speed difference before and after, but it sure feels faster. been running it like this for a month now and everything looked good when i cleaned and re-oiled them.

RC Qualifier
    Interesting.
    There are several bearing kit options.
    In UK, a good, reliable supplier is RC Bearings, who've just created a complete kit, and have almost any bearing and type you could wish for, off the shelf.
    I also notice that ACER have done a ceramic bearing kit - wonder how these are.

Al.

small update

finally tore a piece of the body off and i got around to taping/shoegoo'ing the rear end up...

i'm still running this cracked wheel with the zip ties on it lol. i've had replacement wheels all this time i just haven't gotten around to removing the tire from the rim to put it on the new one. i've been running it for months like this, it clicks when i'm turning to the right while i'm on power, but it hasn't come apart yet

Nice vids and thread. Thats crazy that the wheel is being held together with zip ties.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

tore a tire

not sure what i hit, but i ripped a tire. i saw it flapping and thought it just came unglued, then pulled it in to see this. guess it's time to replace the zip tied rim and now this ripped tire.

you can see a rub mark right where the rip started, obviously hit something sharp, probly happened when i was playing on the wood pile :-)

RC poster
    Wow, I had no idea you could do this without it just exploding! You can drive that truck! I just ran my xmaxx for the first time today. This is my first rc car. I picked up some Kershaw 8000 batteries and an up120ac charger. I got around an hour of run time out of the Kershaw batteries but was taking it easy because I don't know how to drive it yet, lol. Keep posting the videos Rizzod, very helpful and totally awesome!! Oh, I don't know anything about forums so if I'm screwing up just let me know.

thanks Honyok. congrats on your first post and more importantly congrats on the new xmaxx!

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=rizz0d;6197485]to further expand upon what i was talking about earlier about the excess resistance in the bearing seals, here's a short video of what i was talking about.

You my friend may be on to why a lot of guys have heat issues. All that resistance is turned into motor heat. Nice find. Not to mention every truck is different since they are mass produced so some guys may have more resistance that other guys! I'm new to the forums and I'm excited to post about my BL5/2028 xmaxx! I will have to go through my truck and see how much drivetrain "drag" I have. Awesome videos by the way man that's great fun watching! And I know how much fun it is to do too haha. Keep on rocking that maxx to the maxx!

thanks maddogg. reducing the resistance in my driveline is an old habit from racing that carries over into my bashers.

i'm kind of embarrassed to tell you guys this but here goes. i don't have any replacement tires on hand, so i fixed the one that ripped (see the picture from a couple posts up) so i could run it i really need to stop with these jenky fixes, but whatever it takes to get it going again i guess lol.

i glued the tire, not expecting it to last 5 seconds and to my surprise it's holding quite well haha. i can diff out this tire and the glue holds! been running the heck out of it like this, and yes, my other wheel is still zip tied. bash on.

RC Qualifier
    Check out the fishing line method instead of duct tape.- few of us are having really good success with it. I even did a small write up and video of how I did mine! Bash on brother!
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...llooning-tires My post #22 I give my .02cents on that method! Good luck!

wow I can't believe the glue is holding up
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC Competitor
    Just subscribed to the thread so i can follow your journey with your Xmaxx Rizz0d!
    In the process of trying to find a used one for a good price, but hopefully soon i can join in on the fun of owning an Xmaxx!

Also enjoyed watching all your videos of you jumping things!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogg951 View Post
    Check out the fishing line method instead of duct tape.- few of us are having really good success with it. I even did a small write up and video of how I did mine! Bash on brother!
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...llooning-tires My post #22 I give my .02cents on that method! Good luck!
    I've seen that done before, works pretty good. personally I've never taped or fishing line'd any of my tires ever. I let them balloon, it's like free gearing for increased speed. never had one blow out before from ballooning. but then again I'm not a speed junky so I don't grossly overpower things like some of you do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhamju View Post
    Just subscribed to the thread so i can follow your journey with your Xmaxx Rizz0d!
    In the process of trying to find a used one for a good price, but hopefully soon i can join in on the fun of owning an Xmaxx!

Also enjoyed watching all your videos of you jumping things!
    thanks man. good luck on your search.

i'm working on a new video - "big air bonanza 3"

here's a teaser...

RC poster
    Maybe a front flip over your pickup? I jumped mine a little the other night and did some crawling and straight line runs in the gravel. Going to take hours and hours to get any king of skill at jumping. Hope to be like rizzOd when I grow up!
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast