Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Honyok View Post
    Maybe a front flip over your pickup? I jumped mine a little the other night and did some crawling and straight line runs in the gravel. Going to take hours and hours to get any king of skill at jumping. Hope to be like rizzOd when I grow up!
    Well there's the problem, i still haven't grown up yet!
    And yes, it's a front flip over my 1:1 truck.

Oh and I painted the letters on my tires, what do you guys think?

youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

love the white letters!
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC poster
    It's a good thing that none of us have grown up yet or they wouldn't sell anywhere near as many of these things, lol. I went out and messed around with mine again tonight, I'm getting around an hour out of each charge with these Kershaw 8000 batteries. Is that pretty standard? Oh ya, the tires look awesome!
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

RC Qualifier
    Nice rizz I like the wheels man! And the secret to life is never grow up! (On the inside) at least haha because we still gotta handle buisness on the outside.

Hony I will be getting the kershaw battery's for my maxx soon but that sounds great! I'd be happy with that
    V1 BL5/2028, V2 max6/5882, Erevo, Summit, Rustler.

big air bonanza 3

so here we go. i zip tied my phone onto the xmaxx to score some sweet onboard footage and i was not disappointed. it's pretty neat to see some of the crashes from onboard in slow motion, cool to watch my steering/throttle inputs during a crash trying to get it to end up on its wheels. i also love the slow motion front flips, watching the front tire stop mid air as the world spins around it.

this whole video was shot with the following damage:
    tooth broken off of front spiral cut diff pinion gear
    left rear rim busted and held together with zip ties
    right front tire torn and held together with tire glue

here's the video

Last edited by rizz0d; 07-04-2016 at 10:33 AM.

RC poster
    I love the fpv! The damage isn't bad considering the amount of air this truck sees! I have an old Galaxy s4 I'm going to try out. Great video rizzOd!
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

thanks honyok.

in case you guys don't have time to watch the whole video, here's the aftermath. i found an old bumper case in her "old cellphone junk" bag to put on it, and i still use it everyday lol.

How often do cars slow down out on the main road to watch, lol?

I imagine when you blast down your driveway some driver's might brake check thinking you're pulling out in front of them.

i don't think people brake check when i come up the driveway, but i never really paid attention. i'm normally way slowed down before i get towards the road. i've had a couple people give thumbs up out the window before as they drove by.

i do have one story though. i put the ramp in front of my full size truck and i stood in the bed so i could jump over my real truck with me standing in the bed. i haven't put these clips in my videos because i think traxxas would consider it a dangerous activity (jumping over a person). any way, right when i got all set up for the first try, a jeep pulled onto the shoulder to watch. it was a guy and a young boy in the jeep and they had ear to ear grins. so i made 2 jumps over me in the bed of my truck but they pulled away as i was getting out to walk to the end of the driveway to go talk to them. i could tell by their faces that i made their day.

tried to jump the moon , failed...

RC Racer
    Okay, so when are you planning to beat the 190+ ft jump the erevo set?
    Went to buy a lipo, walked out with a XMAXX.

ha ha. whenever traxxas backs it like they did with the dude perfect jump.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    ha ha. whenever traxxas backs it like they did with the dude perfect jump.
    Oh man, I would pay to see that thing fly 190+ ft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Went to buy a lipo, walked out with a XMAXX.

RC Racer
    i think once the stock bearings are worn out i will go with the avid revolutions for the diff and wheel bearings. the revolutions have a rubber seal on one side and a metal shield on the other.
    I just got these! Does the rubber or steel side go outwards?!

@ wheels : rubber goes toward the open air.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Nice videos. I dont currently have an X-Maxx, but i have to say, they look amazing. I absolutely CANNOT WAIT until the aftermarket companies come after this beast.

Great Videos and Tips
    Upgraded Slash 4x4 | 75+ MPH

RC Competitor
    rixx0d,

Awesome thread has been keeping me entertained. I am definitely thinking about an Xmaxx, however the E-revo is still in the running. I am curious as to how you soldered your Deans?
    I recently purchased the M41 boat and they gave me cr@p for trying to use deans, which I know is not an issue. On my helicopters with a 200 amp ESC I but the wire up to the deans then lay down a ton of solder. have not had a issue yet.
    do you lay down the wire on top of the deans then solder it down? Some of of my stuff end up being 10 AWG, that seem about what TRAXXAS is using?

Thanks

RC Racer
    Entertaining thread. Impressive videos.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

thanks guys.

rcmanchild: for the deans, i set the wire on top of the solder tip and angle the tip slightly. then i touch the solder to both the wire and the tip at the same time. tins the wire pretty easily this way. and when i go to solder the wire to the connector, i put the connecter in a third hand tool. p.s. i never had a problem with the deans on the original wires, and i haven't had a problem since i installed the fusible link wire on my deans either.

RC Competitor
    I am looking at getting an xmaxx because this forum makes me jealous, my GF will murder me probably. What fusible link are you referring to the series connector that they use to make 6s battery from 2 3s?

Quote Originally Posted by RcManChild View Post
    I am looking at getting an xmaxx because this forum makes me jealous, my GF will murder me probably. What fusible link are you referring to the series connector that they use to make 6s battery from 2 3s?
    the early production ESC's had an issue that could lead to a 'thermal event'. the original fix for these was to remove the standard jumper wire from the truck and replace it with a different piece of wire called a fusible link that would melt and disconnect the batteries in case the ESC were to fail. new trucks don't have this problem as they already have the fusible link installed as well as a firmware upgrade to prevent such failures. if you go back a few pages I talk about the fusible link and document my install of it.

my front diff pinion has been broken for 4 or 5 months now, it happened landing a huge jump nose down square on the front wheels at full throttle. i've had the replacement set for a while but i haven't gotten around to replacing them plus i wanted to see how long it would last with a missing tooth. been running fine, it's a little noisy but it only clicks under really hard braking. i can't even count how many runs i have since this broke, tons of huge front flips, countless jumps over my full size truck, i shot the whole Big Air Bonanza 3 video, and it just keeps truckin. so this gear will go in the "broken but still usable in a pinch" box.

i found the broken tooth in the diff housing stuck in a clump of grease while i was cleaning it out. i recently bought some clip on lenses for my phone and shot a couple pictures with the macro lens...

RC Competitor
    Well there's the problem, i still haven't grown up yet!
    And yes, it's a front flip over my 1:1 truck.

Oh and I painted the letters on my tires, what do you guys think?

Hey that's my idea white letter painted on wheels

RC Competitor

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    love the white letters!
    Me too.

Does it come off?
    Do you re-write the lettering much?

Al.

RC Racer
    I've been a X-maxx owner for a week and I loved watching your videos. A ramp is in my future plans.

Might have to painted the tires on mine too after seeing yours. Looks sharp.
    Last edited by titanse05; 10-11-2016 at 01:38 PM.

xboxice: looking good. I don't recall seeing you posting your white lettered tires, I would have given you a shout out for the idea. what kind of paint did you use? I used regular lexan paint. I wash the letter areas with simple green and let it dry, then I paint on the lexan paint. kinda hit or miss, sometimes it stays on for a long time, and sometimes it looks like junk after 2 runs. I've tried painting it thick and thin, didn't seem to matter either way.

atom: yes it does come off. depending on the running conditions, it typically lasts just a few hard offroad runs before it starts rubbing off or lasts forever if I stay on pavement.

titan: thanks. a ramp should be mandatory for an xmaxx lol, it will greatly increase your enjoyment.

RC Qualifier
    atom: yes it does come off. depending on the running conditions, it typically lasts just a few hard offroad runs before it starts rubbing off or lasts forever if I stay on pavement.
    I remember white painting 1:1 car tyres in 'my youth' 30+ years ago, then I'd touch a kerb and shout!!
    Looks great when done but a bit of a pain to maintain.

I was going to consider correction fluid / Tipex.
    They do look good.

I'm going for the Losi MTXL tyres on mine - labelling will be minimal 'though.

Al.

RC poster
    Greetings! I'm new to the forums. I got my X-MAXX delivered last Friday and had to wait until yesterday to get my SPC batteries. Maiden voyage for the beast was a ton of freaking fun. Much slower than the Brushless 1/10 E-REVO but man, it just felt like more fun and turned way more heads haha. Anyway, I came in here with a question since you seem pretty familiar with jumping this truck lol... How do you keep your body frame mount bolts from tearing thru the body... I did a couple very light rolls in the truck, nothing serious at all... and on the second roll the whole front (4 hex screws holding the frame to the body) tore right out. Each screw still has a ring of the body plastic under it lol.... have you had this issue (would be shocked if not...) If so, did you use washers or something?

Anywho, love the thread, really enjoy the updates. Look forward to future posts!

RC Racer
    This is my way.

RC poster
    Ooooooh those look perfect!! any idea on size and dimension you used? if not, I guess its not a big deal will just need to take the hex screw with me so I can size it up to washers at true hardware or something
    X-MAXX / E-REVO / Slash / Stampede

RC Racer
    Run with ordinary washer that I bought a local hardware store, recessed them a little with a standard drill and painted them black, the screw was Countersunk hex screws ca3x18mm,
    Sorry for my spelling, google translat

RC poster
    Thank you

scolas: thanks! and here's my solution to the screws pulling through the body. i use the plastic body washers with a regular metal washer on top of it and a longer screw. i like that the white plastic washers conform nicely to the body contours. it's certainly not pretty but it works.

RC poster
    Interesting! I wonder if I can get plastic or non-rigid washers at a place like ace hardware and then do as you did (putting a smaller metal washer on top) I wasn't sure how I was going to handle the back 2 holes that are on a curve...

RC Competitor
    xboxice: looking good. I don't recall seeing you posting your white lettered tires, I would have given you a shout out for the idea. what kind of paint did you use? I used regular lexan paint. I wash the letter areas with simple green and let it dry, then I paint on the lexan paint. kinda hit or miss, sometimes it stays on for a long time, and sometimes it looks like junk after 2 runs. I've tried painting it thick and thin, didn't seem to matter either way.

titan: thanks. a ramp should be mandatory for an xmaxx lol, it will greatly increase your enjoyment.
    LOL LOL i use Artline 440 Paint Marker White,and it never wash off,its been on there for around 6 months now still looks neat.
    Last edited by xboxice; 10-16-2016 at 04:49 PM.

sweet. is it available in stores, or do I have to order it?

RC Competitor
    sweet. is it available in stores, or do I have to order it?
    Officeworks,but remember im in Australia

oops (wet running PSA)

it's been raining so much here lately. still needing my xmaxx fix, i wouldn't let a little (okay a ton) of rain stop me. i ran it five times in the rain, two runs were during total downpours, makes an awesome water roost off the tires btw. i ran it in the grass, in the muddy ditch, through the big puddles, up and down the dirt road near my house, etc. i'm always diligent after my wet runs to hit the bearings with wd-40 and spin the tires to let it work in and displace the water, but something came up after the last wet run and i didn't get a chance to.

fast forward a couple days and i took my 2 yr old son out to the local fairgrounds for a day of r/c. we took 4 trucks and a nitro buggy. he took off with his slash 4x4 while i ripped it up with the others.

when it was the x-maxx's turn, i noticed at low speed it was making a distinct 'rubbing' sound. i didn't think much of it because it still had its usual giddy-up and the sound went away at speed. then while performing monster jam approved cyclone donuts (i'm talking cloud of dust that the truck dissappeared into lol), the rear tires camber'd way in, almost as if the upper control arm was made of rubber. but when i went straight, the camber went back to normal. more donuts, more camber and it went away after the donut.

i pull it in and set it on the tailgate to take a look. i grab a tire and sure enough i can rock it by hand from about -5* to +5* of camber with my hand that's not good. i take one of the tires off to check and a wheel bearing was locked solid and made so much heat the carrier melted and allowed the stub axle to move up and down. 3 of the 4 tires were like this. that's when i put it together that after my last run in the rain i didn't perform my post wet run maintenance and some bearings probably rusted (plus i haven't serviced them in months). so i put the xmaxx back in the truck and proceeded to put a quart of nitro through my 1/8 buggy.

I had parts on hand, new carriers and bearings and i'm already back in business. I also cleaned and lubed the driveshaft assemblies.

TL;DR - i put my xmaxx away wet, 3 bearings locked up from rust, and melted the wheel bearing carriers on the next run. do yourself a favor and look after your bearings, especially after running in water.

all fixed up...(i love pics of new clean parts on dirty trucks)

RC Racer
    That's why I avoid driving in wet conditions.
    But you're eager to run all the time, have the same weather here in Sweden soon I am driving in the rain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast