Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

First X-Maxx to go over 60+MPH!!! Speed run #4 Stock Motor/ESC 6s Gear change

Took my X maxx to my speed run meet today to see what the truck will clock in stock form. Using a Garmin 201 GPS. Not bad for a huge truck. In the dirt the car looks twice as fast lol. Running my XO-1 Corvette C6 GT2 and TC4 as well in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpUgyiDaQxA

RC Racer
    I wonder if 40 is possible with a gear change only.
    What yellow vet is that? It's a nice size.

RC Racer
    What Lipos were you using in the video ?

RC Racer
    interesting. Lower than I figured, assuming 6s configuration. Traxxas reports 35+

RC Competitor
    Its possible. The yellow vet is my traxxas XO-1 1/7 scale

Quote Originally Posted by FatWheels View Post
    What Lipos were you using in the video ?
    I'm using my SPC 3s 7200mah 70c lipos 6s in this video. My regular go to batteries for this truck is the traxxas 8400mah 3s lipos 25c.

Quote Originally Posted by m00s3 View Post
    interesting. Lower than I figured, assuming 6s configuration. Traxxas reports 35+
    Well those numbers are still possible. The weather was really cold about 40 degrees and the lipos were really cold. This was its very first run and if you let the batteries warm up I'm pretty sure you will get some higher mph. My sons 4x4 Stampede does the same thing. From first start up he always ask me why his stampede is not popping wheelies anymore then after 4-5 passes power kicks in and wheelies are back.

I will try to do another test with the batteries warmed up and see what happens

Please note I'm into bashing trucks with my sons Traxxas Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4, Teton mini trucks but I'm more into speed runs. So I'm used to seeing RC cars go 100-140+mph and my expression may not seem like it but this trucks speed is pretty impressive for its size. My 1/10 Summit stock would do about 20mph and with the MM2 change around 30+mph.

*instead of continuing to make consecutive posts within seconds of each other, edit the one you already wrote
    Last edited by Double G; 12-21-2015 at 12:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I am in the same boat you are udluuz. I think I will leave the X-Maxx with the stock setup for awhile and use it for just bashing and put my money into making my XO-1 faster. After driving the XO-1, nothing seems fast. I will keep an eye on NBVipers 8S setup to see what speeds he hits. That might change my mind to modifying the X-Maxx.

RC Competitor
    Yea when your used to seeing fast RC cars on a weekly basis 30mph looks real slow lol. We have to keep in mind this is huge bashing truck that's not designed for speed runs. Once you start going to 40-50mph the tires will start ballooning and you would have to get the truck a lower center of gravity like zip tie the A arms lower. I'm probably gonna mess around with the gearing and see what it can do. Stay tuned. What have you got your XO-1 to run drivejumpfly?

RC Competitor

Speed Run #2 First X-Maxx to run 45+mph stock motor/esc GPS verified Garmin 101

After being a little disappointed in my first speed run for the X-Maxx in stock form 6s lipo @ 31.5mph I was curious to see what this truck could do with some gear changes. So I swapped out the 46t spur out of my XO-1 and slapped it on the X-Maxx. Also, since the motor heat sink gets really hot I installed a fan on top of the heat sink to help cool the motor. The first run with cold batteries the truck did 43.5mph. After the lipos got warmed up and with the battery indicator showing 85% the power kicked in. 2nd pass the car did 45.5 with barely hitting full throttle. In stock trim the car will tend to wheelie mid throttle and the car will wander do to excessive tire ballooning. My last run which was not captured on video I was able to hit 50mph on the GPS. I was able to hit full throttle for split second before the X-Maxx wheeled on it roof, slid 30 feet, scratched the GPS and turned it off, and burned 2 holes on the top roof. When I turned on the GPS it read 50mph. Since this was not captured on my camera I will not make this 50mph claim as of yet. But I can honestly say this truck will do over 50mph easy but not without some modifications to the suspension & ride setup. I would say for a $2.99 spur gear and $8 pinion +$11 total to gain 15-20+mph is not bad at all!

43.5-45.5mph speed run #2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bn-...ature=youtu.be

31.5mph speed run #1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpUgyiDaQxA

RC Competitor
    Sweet man!! Good stuff.
    Coffee is king!
    YouTube - RC Tanks & Trucks 24/7

Nice....you only change the spur gear?
    -Blue X-maxx
    -E-Maxx 60.2mph
    -Spartan 48.2mph

Wow, stock looks really slow in your vid. My Yeti XL on 4s is quite a bit faster. Can you show a pic of the fan you put on and what pinion size did you use. Did you get any motor temps.

Thanks for the vids. Looks really fast. I'd be interested in gearing it to 35 to 40mph maybe.
    Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

RC Enthusiast
    yea x2 on the pics and all you did was change the spur gear?

RC Qualifier
    Do we still have to raise the transmitter over our head? That speed makes things more interesting. Thanks for the video.

Wow cool mod!! Gearing changes everything!

RC Racer
    How do you know you was first?

RC Racer
    how were the temps? id be happy with 45mph in a 5th scale as long is the motor and esc arnt too hot.

RC Qualifier
    I haven not done much to it at this point. The biggest modification was adding TSM to it - that helped out a lot. Have a few pinions to try on the stock ESC and motor setup, different springs, and a drag link. I want to try to make it run 105 mph on the stock ESC/motor and go from there.

RC Qualifier
    Nice! This is right along the lines I was thinking of. I have a few spur gear and pinion combos I will have to try also. Like others have said I am interested in the ESC and motor temps. I wonder if some kind of air duct routing would work better than the fans. Not exactly a NACA duct like the XO-1 but something else to route air directly to the electronics.

Also, were you able to adjust the TSM to see if it would help correct some of the issues with the tires ballooning? I use the TSM on my XO-1 but ballooning isn't really a big problem up to 90 MPH.
    Last edited by drivejumpfly; 12-24-2015 at 10:52 AM.

RC Competitor
    VERY interested in what exactly you did for a fan set up on the motor please upload pictures!!!

RC Competitor

Speed Run #3 First X-Maxx to hit over 57MPH!! Stock ESC/Motor 6s Lipo gear change

Just ran the X-Maxx this afternoon was able to break the 50mph barrier with a 50.2mph and 2 57+mph runs verified by Garmin 101 GPS. I think I made a mistake I think this truck is capable of over 60mph with only a gear change not 50mph that I originally thought!! I will reveal my setup in the next day or so (hosting Christmas). Waiting for video to load up on youtube stay tuned.

Great work! Tallest stock gearing offered is 26/46, which theoretically can do over 70mph on 6S.
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

Its awesome that you got it going that fast. Id like to see you go in the other direction and measure how much torque you can generate.

You've inspired me. I've got a Garmin unit on its way to verify speeds on my 8S Castle setup.
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

RC Competitor
    Here it is. Thanks for the comments I will respond in the next day or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPT5...ature=youtu.be

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by udluuz View Post
    Here it is. Thanks for the comments I will respond in the next day or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPT5...ature=youtu.be
    16 tooth pinion or 17 tooth?

RC Racer
    would you please share what was change. What size of pinion and so on.. Thanks and Happy Holiday

My guess is 21T pinion / 46T spur.

RC Qualifier
    The only issue is yeah you have better top end but loose way too much low end

RC Qualifier
    Still have good runtime?

RC Qualifier
    It appears to have plenty of low end for speed runs. Great video!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome man, purely awesome. 50 MPH on the stock setup is all I wanted. No need for more. I will leave the crazy speeds to the XO-1.

One of the kids in the neighborhood just received an X-Maxx for Christmas! He was outside playing with it this morning so I had to go out and check it out! WOW! That truck is huge!!!!! It has a lot of torque! I can't wait until mine arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Xboxmember1978 View Post
    The only issue is yeah you have better top end but loose way too much low end
    I was thinking about that yesterday. And i just feel blessed to have lots of places to run my truck off road. Rocks sand mudd water trees. I got it all Albuquerque is an awesome place. Personally i wouldn't give up any torque but thats just me.

Merry Christmas!

RC Competitor
    Can't wait to make mine faster...clocked it just now at 33 (bone stock with 2 6500 3s spc lipos) with a bushnell speed gun...def feel that 40-45 is enough for what I 'm gonna be doing with it

RC Competitor

First X-Maxx to go over 60+MPH!!! Speed run #4 Stock Motor/ESC 6s Gear change

Its official this truck is capable of 60+mph!!! 61.1mph to be exact and new personal best for me. This video was actually shot yesterday when I ran the 50+ mph just didn't have time to upload and I wanted to give all the X-Maxx owners a Christmas present today Lol! This truck did 5-6 back to back speed runs, racing my kids new 4x4 Slash and other sons Stampede 4x4 (beating both cars on mid top end) for a total of 12 minutes before shutting down. In this video I show the temp on the motor after 3 runs back to back (83motor temp). The most I've seen the motor temp rise was around 107. This truck still has crazy torque on the low end. Honestly this truck has more in her l couldn't stay at full throttle for long without the front end picking up and the front A arms are zipped tied! I would estimate this truck could possibly hit mid 65+ but anything more and you risk the stock tires exploding or ripping apart. I have one more suspension setup speed pass to try before I call it quits. I think I might be at my maximum with this truck but as far as the gear change its not max out yet! Traxxas did a really good job with this truck. I don't know if I can post pics but I will do a video on the setup hopefully this evening when I get back from our other Holiday engagements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWE5E_byLE

RC Qualifier
    Impressive! I need to get me one of these!

RC poster
    Merry Christmas! Thanks for your work on this. Would you be so kind as to share your parts that gave you these gains?

Ok, enough teasing already, let's get a look under the hood! Pinion/Spur size? Fan placement?

Ram air and a "TYPE R" sticker.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Ram air and a "TYPE R" sticker.
    You forgot the Turbo and M badge!

But really what are you running in it?
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Competitor
    My link app said 127 degrees on 4s earlier today with stock gearing.. BTW, your truck is booking it!!!!! Congratulations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast