RC Competitor

First 10minutes loud clicking and motor temp 190 :(

Hey guys so I got my xmaxx started her up yesterday for the first run temperature outside was about 40degrees was running on pavement and some grass I have the traxxas link hooked up as well as my own temp gun. The truck was running good then I could start to hear a loud clicking coming from the rear of the truck it started to get worse so I stopped this was about 10minutes in (using 3s 7200mah 70c SPC). Looked at my phone seen the temp of the motor was 190 I thought that's impossible so I pulled the body off and checked with my temp gun and it said the same thing. The esc and batteries we at about 80degrees. Now for the clicking I pulled apart the entire truck ran the motor out of the truck, pulled the rear diff out ran truck with out it still got the same noise pulled apart the diff just for fun while I had it out all good as well. (yes the ring gear is good) Pulled out the slipper clutch everything looked good nothing was loose, all gears looked good no rocks or little pieces stuck anywhere I looked over the truck for 4hrs last night really don't see any issues what so ever and it is only in acceleration when tires are on ground or elevated truck still does this. I know a lot of people say its prob the diff but its not nothing is stripped no shavings no chips nothing stuck so I have no idea what it could be thought it was the motor but ran it by its self and its fine. What do you guys think I should do? I never had this issue with my veichles I have BEREVO, Savage flux xl never had this happen any help or suggestions?

RC Competitor
    I thought I seen on here someone mention that same issue, is it possible your pinion came loose on the shaft and slid towards the plastic cover?

RC Qualifier
    Drive shaft pins,output cup setscrews or debris? Rock in the spur?

You ran the motor without the truck. Did you run the truck without the motor? Drive line drag?
    Last edited by Multirotor; 12-29-2015 at 10:42 AM.

RC Competitor
    Spook I ran it without the gear cover on as well still made same noise.
    Multirotor all the above looked good but I did not try running the truck without the motor I didn't think of that

RC Racer
    Sounds like a spur gear slipper clutch issue to me

RC Competitor
    What do you think it could be FatWheels? the slipper is tight but not too tight idk what could be wrong with it

Why not call Traxxas on this, as their support department may have already seen this and have a solution or suggestions?

RC Competitor
    yeah I am going to jeteffect I don't see anything else it could be ill keep everyone posted on what they say

RC Competitor
    ok just talked to someone at traxxas explained everything he said the only other thing for me to do is just make sure its not the front diff because I did not check that yet (because sound is clearly from the rear) other then that he said drive it till something or if something breaks and they will send me what ever that may be.... :/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My truck is having the same clicking sound as soon as I took it for its first run. It's very faint though but im sure it will get louder. At first I thought maybe it was a leaf stuck in the driveline but nope.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 12-29-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

Mine had the same clicking issue, and I found after I pulled the entire slipper clutch and shaft out of the truck, and put it back in while I was cleaning it the clicking/ticking noise went away. Not sure why, but it hasn't come back. If it's a quick, fast tick sound, check the slipper clutch area.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Competitor
    yeah mine was faint but rather loud very quickly in a time span of 10mins. I pulled the whole slipper and shaft out Wolf but didn't see anything wrong idk Traxxas told me to run it that's its fine so will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Mine had the same clicking issue, and I found after I pulled the entire slipper clutch and shaft out of the truck, and put it back in while I was cleaning it the clicking/ticking noise went away. Not sure why, but it hasn't come back. If it's a quick, fast tick sound, check the slipper clutch area.
    Taking apart and rebuilding the entire slipper clutch, is that a big job, and is it documented in the manual by chance? Appears to be more and more common. If newbies like I have to rebuild slipper clutch and assembly during the first day of running, it would be good to have a documented method of doing this.

UPDATE: X-MAXX manual, pg 22 talks about Slipper Clutch adjustments and notes about setting tension and a good starting point configuration.

Wolf - when you say rebuild the slipper clutch, did you do something more than what's on page 22?

https://m.traxxas.com/sites/default/...-OM-EN-R00.pdf

Thanks
    Last edited by jeteffect; 12-29-2015 at 01:17 PM.

RC Competitor
    Mine has a very faint clicking noise as well. I would love to know what this is
    T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

thebull: does your truck accelerate like normal? hi traction surface, like pavement, from a dead stop does it pull like it should?

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Taking apart and rebuilding the entire slipper clutch, is that a big job, and is it documented in the manual by chance? Appears to be more and more common. If newbies like I have to rebuild slipper clutch and assembly during the first day of running, it would be good to have a documented method of doing this.

UPDATE: X-MAXX manual, pg 22 talks about Slipper Clutch adjustments and notes about setting tension and a good starting point configuration.

Wolf - when you say rebuild the slipper clutch, did you do something more than what's on page 22?

https://m.traxxas.com/sites/default/...-OM-EN-R00.pdf

Thanks
    I didn't rebuild the clutch at all. I just took everything apart to inspect everything out of pure curiosity, then I put everything back together. Mine clutch has been pretty good, it was a tad loose out of the box, but other than that it's been great.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

This may sound nuts but is it one color or are both colors doing it?

Do our trucks have some kind of vin or serial number?

It might be worth keeping track to see if there was a bad batch? The crate HEMI motors that Mopar sells were notorious for needing to be rebuilt right out of the crate. But there was certain runs of motors that were fine. I was lucky in that my motor's part number fell into the good bunch.
    Just trying to mix my hobbies.
    Just an idea, please limit the brow beating, lol.

RC Competitor
    rizzod there is no loss of power what so ever truck grips great and launches fine
    rtmike idk that's a good question my truck is red

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    This may sound nuts but is it one color or are both colors doing it?

Do our trucks have some kind of vin or serial number?

It might be worth keeping track to see if there was a bad batch? The crate HEMI motors that Mopar sells were notorious for needing to be rebuilt right out of the crate. But there was certain runs of motors that were fine. I was lucky in that my motor's part number fell into the good bunch.
    Just trying to mix my hobbies.
    Just an idea, please limit the brow beating, lol.
    Like um, your grammar is horrid. You didn't use correct capitalization anywhere. Your message is invalid!

They use to put a serial number on a inch long white sticker, stuck on the chassis somewhere.

RC poster
    I think I have solved the issue with the Xmaxx clicking. It may be that you need to put more diff fluid in the rear diff. I have noticed that when I took mine apart. I am going to get some more diff fluid for it, and let you guys know if that’s the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by XmaxxBasher1200 View Post
    I think I have solved the issue with the Xmaxx clicking. It may be that you need to put more diff fluid in the rear diff. I have noticed that when I took mine apart. I am going to get some more diff fluid for it, and let you guys know if thatís the problem!
    I hope they got it going before you chimed in! That post was four years old...LOL!

Don't worry, I did the exact same thing a few days ago!