RC Racer

Stampede Differential

First off hello, new here and to rc. so please bear with me here and be nice. I just took my stampede out for a couple good days of running and when I brought it home decided it needed a good going over. I took rear shocks off to be rebuilt with 30 wt oil (I had previously rebuilt them with 40 beacuse dog hit it and popped shock cap off)... any way... the rear diff had grease coming out of one of the bearings so I thought I needed a new one so diff came out I tore it down all bearings were good, the oil inside was black and silver there was a bad seal. So I took front out to check it was same only no broken seals. So I go to LHS and get diff rebuild kit with new seals and washer and diff case i grabbed Some 30000 wt and 10000 wt for front while there. When I rebuilt them I filled them full. Now when I drive it it is real loud like diff is turning real hard. Should I take some fluid out of them? Also cleaned the motor with some electrical cleaner that may be source of noise or some of the noise. The slipper is adjusted out 1/4 turn that is where it was when I took it out. I used white lithium grease in the transfer cases. Everything was cleaned with carb cleaner and put back together. I'm not dumb but I don't want to wast money on things I dont need. Please help thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Can you tell where the noise is coming from. On the front bulkhead you have 5 screws I would back the center one off a little and see what happens if it's still there back the ones on the driver side. They are different lengths and I've seen some get those mixed around causing issues

Check all the screws near the rear diff. There is one that if you use the wrong length it will hit the diff ring. Also make sure you oil the motor bearings if you cleaned them.

Generally I only fill diffs about 3/4 of the way to allow room for expansion as the fluid heats up. It won't cause any strange noisesifyou overfill them but the excess will leak out. The diff Floyd will probably be black when you open it again. I don't know why but anything that goes in the diff comes out black.

It is normal for grease to come out of New bearings as they break in.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    Ok.... I had the gear mesh wrong seems to be better now. Still a little loud but I think that is beacuse I used lithium grease it is much thinner than the automotive grease that was there. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Drty420 View Post
    Ok.... I had the gear mesh wrong seems to be better now. Still a little loud but I think that is beacuse I used lithium grease it is much thinner than the automotive grease that was there. Thanks guys
    My truck has always been what I considered loud. I thought it was even louder than my bros vxl. After front diff rebuild and rear diff examination everything is fine but still seems loud to me.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    What does "shimming the dif" mean ? And does this need to be done to the Stampede 4x4 VXL ?

It means putting a thin spacer between the diff housing and the bearing to push the ring and pinion gears closer together. In the 4x4 stampede it isn't necessary.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    Thanks. In which vehicles is it necessary ? And why is it needed in some trucks and not others ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathWish9 View Post
    Thanks. In which vehicles is it necessary ? And why is it needed in some trucks and not others ?
    Most people do it in the revo, summit sections. I Think I read someone doing it to their 1/16 scale ones also (slash,revo, summits) I don't know if it has anything to do with how those particular vehicles center drive line is setup compared to the 1/10 slash and pedes