RC poster

Rear diff problems

I recently got an xmaxx and I keep blowing out rear ring gears. Its an 8S but weve mostly been running on 50% training mode so my son can drive it. I tried shimming it but it still started popping after less than one run. Am I doing something wrong or does anyone have a suggestion to prevent this?

RC Qualifier
    Gpm racing make good hardened spiral cut ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Since its used?

Did you go through it and inspect the bearings? Id be curious to know if pinion bearing is good.

Did you check centre diff bearings?

Did you replace the crown and pinion at the same time?

If all that checks out Id start inspecting the upper and lower rear bulkheads for cracks or pulled screws.

The stock diffs are very durable. They can take way more power than the stock electrics put out.

Something is wrong. You just need to find out what it is.
    Last edited by Clubin; 10-01-2019 at 08:12 PM.

RC poster
    I think I found the problem: After reviewing the parts diagram I noticed I don't have a bearing on the rear pinion (5106). Not sure if I lost it when the pinion fell out while riding in the back of the truck or the previous owner didn't have it in there. I'm going to try picking one up tomorrow. Thank you for your replies and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Formula View Post
    I recently got an xmaxx and I keep blowing out rear ring gears. It’s an 8S but we’ve mostly been running on 50% training mode so my son can drive it. I tried shimming it but it still started popping after less than one run. Am I doing something wrong or does anyone have a suggestion to prevent this?
    I’d also replace the rear bulkhead. There’s a good chance that the plastic has become weaker and will could make more diff gears break.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion