Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs up What did you do with your X-Maxx today?

Hey guys, there's threads like this in the other sections, there's enough of us with X-Maxx's we can have our own too.

Today I modified a Castle 2028 motor dual blower fan to fit onto my X-Maxx's motor and heat sink. I'm not the first to think of it, I'm just the first to get it to fit snugly close to the motor. I had to dremel the inner plastic rib out of it to fit the fan cover close to the motor heat sink, and I had to trim a corner of it to clear the spur gear cover. It fits perfectly against the heat sink. I didn't even need zip ties or anything to hold it down, it's wedged perfectly between the chassis frame rails. I'm really happy with how it all came out, you can't even really see the wires to the fan either. It's not like I even need the fans, the motor runs cool enough with out them, I just did this for fun.

So guys, post up what you did with your X-Maxx!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-29-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC poster
    Nice work with the fan!!

I unboxed mine and charged the batteries. Taking it for a run tomorrow.

RC Competitor
    I just ran mine through slush and snow today lol, nothing quite as innovative as you but I'm def. going to steal your idea. That looks awesome. Good job man!

Actually you inspired me to swap out the radio system for a new one I had sitting around.

Last edited by Hpiman74; 12-29-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

RC Competitor
    I ordered some fans today and went to the hardware store for some dry lube and thread lock.
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

RC Enthusiast
    On the fan ... IF the fan quits by chance, do you think it will cause motor to overheat ? I'm wondering if the gap + zip tie method would be better in that case ? I've got the castle fan in route ... so still waiting to get my hands on one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post
    On the fan ... IF the fan quits by chance, do you think it will cause motor to overheat ? I'm wondering if the gap + zip tie method would be better in that case ? I've got the castle fan in route ... so still waiting to get my hands on one in person.
    I think either way if both fans shut off it would overheat if it was hot outside and you were bashing hard yes. These fans would be hard to kill, they're burshless... Something would have to physically stop them, like mud, grass, or a stick getting wedged in the fan blades. I'm not worried at all honestly.

RC Competitor
    Looks good wolf I ordered the same fan today

wolf: it looks like the air the fans are pushing can only get out from the ends. wonder if you could cut some vertical slots along the shroud (where it says 'castle') to let more air get out from under the shroud.

p.s. that looks factory as heck.

RC Competitor
    Were those part of a kit you ordered off eBay?
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    wolf: it looks like the air the fans are pushing can only get out from the ends. wonder if you could cut some vertical slots along the shroud (where it says 'castle') to let more air get out from under the shroud.

p.s. that looks factory as heck.
    It's actually pulling air out of the heat sink, instead of blowing air through it. There's actually about a 2-3 mm gap between the middle of the fan cover and the heat sink, so it can pull air from around the entire motor.

Thanks! That's exactly the look I was going for!

Were those part of a kit you ordered off eBay?
    Nope, it's an individual part. It's Castle part # CSEM1900 Link HERE.

So, did anyone else do anything with their X-Maxx today? This thread isn't just about my Castle motor fan...
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-29-2015 at 11:54 PM.

RC Racer
    I found other 1/5th scale wheels with 23mm hexes. Read in some other forum about using metal tape to get that extra 1mm.
    A.K.A MAXX05
    1 BL Revo,Erevo,Emaxx
    4 XMAXX

I ordered some spares - spur gears, a arms, etc., and bluetooth module for my X-MAXX that's not even here yet! Haha

RC Competitor
    My Castle 2028 blower arrived yesterday buy my X is waiting for a replacement right lower arm.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I'm just the first to get it to fit snugly close to the motor. I had to dremel the inner plastic rib out of it to fit the fan cover close to the motor heat sink, e5a8e_b.jpg[/img]

!

No, you just the FIRST to make a post about it.

RC Racer
    I'm gonna fabricate a X Maxx mount for my ATV so I can haul it around our riding area. Heavy sucker. Hey, Wolfslash, Does that fan plug straight into the receiver or do you have to some other form of wiring?

RC Enthusiast
    I changed my shock oil to 50 wt last night. But I only got the front 2 shocks done, the 2 oz team bottle I purchased was not enough fluid to do all 4 shocks. I'll do the rear shocks when my new bottle comes in.

RC Enthusiast
    I've had to just stare at it since Christmas. Batteries are on back order everywhere!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    I'm gonna fabricate a X Maxx mount for my ATV so I can haul it around our riding area. Heavy sucker. Hey, Wolfslash, Does that fan plug straight into the receiver or do you have to some other form of wiring?
    It plugs right in !

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    It's actually pulling air out of the heat sink, instead of blowing air through it. There's actually about a 2-3 mm gap between the middle of the fan cover and the heat sink, so it can pull air from around the entire motor.

Thanks! That's exactly the look I was going for!
    OH REALLY ? I just assumed it was pushing fresh air down into the heat sink. Hmmm... hope I didn't order the wrong fan. It seems like a fan pushing air INTO the heat sink would work better than trying to suck hot air away?

RC Competitor
    I changed my shock oil to 50 wt last night. But I only got the front 2 shocks done, the 2 oz team bottle I purchased was not enough fluid to do all 4 shocks. I'll do the rear shocks when my new bottle comes in.
    did you see about 1oz per shock?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by antignis View Post
    did you see about 1oz per shock?
    Yea, just a little less than 1 oz. 4 oz would do all 4 shocks including some spills.

took it mudding today. beat the heck out of it and it drove like a champ trouble free.
    pics to follow .. Self righting worked well too..
    tons of fun !!
    Last edited by zoraduntov; 12-30-2015 at 01:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    I installed my new cooling fans as well.

T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

RC Racer
    Any of you dealt with smc? I ordered some extra lipos they have taken money but no shipping yet. Bought monday paypal sent money yesterday. Lol so much for having them before new years
    A.K.A MAXX05
    1 BL Revo,Erevo,Emaxx
    4 XMAXX

RC Competitor
    I had the same issue. Their website is acting goofy and saying they have items when they don't. Email him. He is a really nice guy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo09 View Post
    Any of you dealt with smc?
    I haven't.

I could use the motor fan too .

My motor was super hot after my bashing exercise was completed ?
    Last edited by zoraduntov; 12-30-2015 at 04:13 PM.

RC Competitor
    OH REALLY ? I just assumed it was pushing fresh air down into the heat sink. Hmmm... hope I didn't order the wrong fan. It seems like a fan pushing air INTO the heat sink would work better than trying to suck hot air away?
    Pretty sure this fan pushes air to the motor ... Mine does at least

RC Racer
    Ordered 5 fans, orders just not for me this week. SMC shipped batteries today, amazon offered free 1 day delivery for orders for $35 but will deliver Jan 4th. But anywho 5 coming my way.
    A.K.A MAXX05
    1 BL Revo,Erevo,Emaxx
    4 XMAXX

Picked up a pair of new batteries and some 50wt Shock oil to redo my shocks.

great gunbar223
    what kind

Called lhs for a delivery update again.

RC Competitor
    i ordered my cooling fan.. and installed 43t spur and 21t pinion.. wanted a 25 but local shop didn't have one... WOW.. gearing is fun...

RC Enthusiast
    Just put 35 more minutes of pure fun in my x-maxx log book!!! Blue definitely seems to be faster than some of those red ones I c on you tube : )! !!

Quote Originally Posted by zoraduntov View Post
    great gunbar223
    what kind
    rc king

RC Qualifier
    Order a castle creations cooling fan....I have only run my X maxx three times since December 23rd.....just want to solve any problems before they start

RC poster
    Well I joined the traxxas forum while dreaming of getting my xmaxx today. Preordered and paid 3rd week of Nov. at my lhs. They still can't tell me when it's coming, so I'm here almost every day reading about all of you having fun with yours. I have 4 3s 8400's ready to rock and roll, but just got 12 inches of snow. Not sure where I'm even going to be able to give it a good test run now. Sigh. I ordered blue, but I'd take a lemon lime one at this point.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
    I installed my new cooling fans as well.

I just ordered this same fan. Easy to hook up? What do I need to know? Is it self explanatory? Do I need anything extra besides zip ties to make it happen?

RC poster
    Ordered the same fan from Tower and drove mine in the parking of my work for the first time......it's super fun.

Tomorrows plan is to drive it on the beach next to where I live. There's some small dunes so it should be fun.

I messed with gearing options tonight, the pins for gear change adjustments are crazy simple, I like it. I'm planing on trying a 16, 17, and 18 pinion once I can get access to the Traxxas pinions. 90% of after market ones are too thin compared to the wide spur gear teeth.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast