RC poster

Manual Motor Gear Mesh

Hi All,

I'm having trouble properly meshing the gears on the X-Maxx. I'm just wondering what everyone's technique is? I put a single ply of copy paper in between the gears and put pressure against the spur then tighten the screws closest to the shaft first then the back screws. Once all done I remove the paper. But for me, it's still too tight. the gears doesn't seem to turn freely. It is also ioud when running. Am I doing it all wrong? Do I need to put a double ply? I also stripped one of the Motor mount hex screws. Are these screws not good? I stripped it on the third try trying to get it meshed properly. I didn't even use much torque. I guess they just wore out from my three attempts. I just had the X-Maxx for a week.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    Last edited by thaddyusmaximus; 02-15-2019 at 12:38 PM.

RC Champion
    Copy paper may be too thick. Use regular college rule school paper. You donít want the paper to be too thick. Then push the pinion onto the spur with the piece of paper in between as you have done before. You should be able to remove the paper without it tearing. Paper should look like an accordion when done properly.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Copy paper may be too thick. Use regular college rule school paper. You donít want the paper to be too thick. Then push the pinion onto the spur with the piece of paper in between as you have done before. You should be able to remove the paper without it tearing. Paper should look like an accordion when done properly.
    Does it matter which screws to tighten first?

RC Qualifier
    I lockdown all 4 screws while holding the motor. 2 closest to the pinion first, then verify the motor is straight, then the rear.
    Takes 2-3 tries sometimes but I want a high quality mesh.
    I use a single 3m sticky note, which is a bit thick, and I crush the gears onto it. I have yet to blow a pinion or spur.

Quote Originally Posted by thaddyusmaximus View Post
    Does it matter which screws to tighten first?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    I lockdown all 4 screws while holding the motor. 2 closest to the pinion first, then verify the motor is straight, then the rear.
    Takes 2-3 tries sometimes but I want a high quality mesh.
    I use a single 3m sticky note, which is a bit thick, and I crush the gears onto it. I have yet to blow a pinion or spur.
    What gears are you running??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    What gears are you running??
    Traxxas 22t pinion and the 46t that comes with the 8s in the box.

I learned a good way to adjust my truck's gear mesh from back when I use to adjust the azimuth gears on Doppler Radar antenna arrays. It works really good on my RC stuff. What you do is: you have your truck's motor mounting screws just loose enough to where you can move your motor, but tight enough that it only takes a quarter of a turn to snug them up.

Then with you holding your motor as it gently rests on your gears, you gently run your motor. When you minimize the gear vibration you hear and feel coming from your gear mesh by moving your motor closer and further away; you snug up your screws to keep your motor temporarily in place. Then with everything stopped, you permanently tighten your motor down for final use. The paper spacing technique works good for putting you in the ball park, but the above mentioned way puts everything right on the money.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-16-2019 at 05:21 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    For me its trial and error. Quiet is better. Loud is bad. I don't use paper. I never had much luck with it. I check and adjust the gear lash by 'clicking' the spur and pinions teeth to get it into the ballpark. Then I fine tune by sound volume from there. I picked up a set of aluminum motor screw bushings from ebay. Makes adjusting the mesh in the field much easier.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

What's clicking?

RC Champion
    All good info, and 'ticking' I think he means feeling and hearing the tiny amount of pinion/spur free play ticking.

RC Qualifier
    I think you are pushing/pressing to hard. Lighten up a little you'll be fine

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    What's clicking?
    Rock your spur gear back and forth, it clicks. I can get very close to perfect mesh by feeling how far the gears teeth are apart that way.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Rock your spur gear back and forth, it clicks. I can get very close to perfect mesh by feeling how far the gears teeth are apart that way.
    That's how I do it with my other rigs that are not Traxxas xmaxx and have had good luck so far. I'm going to try it on the xmaxx 8s now with the 46t pinion. Thanks.

There's a chance that you might be just a tad to late with your response. (lol)