Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I messed with gearing options tonight, the pins for gear change adjustments are crazy simple, I like it. I'm planing on trying a 16, 17, and 18 pinion once I can get access to the Traxxas pinions. 90% of after market ones are too thin compared to the wide spur gear teeth.
    so i put 46 spur on with a 21 pinion today.. and put the pins in B as shown on the graph.. and it just doesn't seem to be tight enough.. am i missing something here.. do you notice a lot pardon my bad terminology here.. but "chatter" when pushing forward and reverse? it seems to drive okay, but really low speed it makes funky noise.. i'll try and take a video tomorrow....

RC Racer
    Does it look really loose? If all else fails do the old paper through the gear check. The chatter could be it skipping teeth, and you can quickly tear up your spur gear that way.

From what I found it's the gear lash being slightly loose, and you hearing the "pop" of the motor magnets through the gears. I can't think of a good way to explain that...
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Racer
    I'd visually inspect your spur for missing teeth, and do the paper trick to be on the safe side. If all you did was swap to a higher pinion and now its slower, either the gear mesh isn't right, or you didn't get the pinion screw tightened down onto the flat spot of the motor shaft and the pinion itself is slipping.

RC Competitor
    From what I found it's the gear lash being slightly loose, and you hearing the "pop" of the motor magnets through the gears. I can't think of a good way to explain that...
    I picked up a slash today and it makes the same chatter with the magnets when pushing the car... I am going to try the xmaxx with this setup with out so many cars in the road tomorrow.. i almost side swiped someone parked car tonight.... in a cartwheel cause the durn thing was so fast.....

i guess i could strap my garmin watch to it to see how fast it goes huh...

i need one of those fans for sure !!!!
    after my run , the engine was very very hot!!!!!

i beat the heck out of it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zoraduntov View Post
    i need one of those fans for sure !!!!
    after my run , the engine was very very hot!!!!!

i beat the heck out of it
    How hot was ur motor? My max temp so far has been 202* by the telemetry but my thermal temp gum was only showing about 160*, I'm still not sure why I showed a difference but I did the zip tie fix for the heat sink but still have to do a test run later this morning.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by efarrell View Post
    I just ordered this same fan. Easy to hook up? What do I need to know? Is it self explanatory? Do I need anything extra besides zip ties to make it happen?
    Yep it pretty easy, I spent the most time running the wires down low and tucking them in nice and neat for a clean look. You can plug it in to any port on your RX and they will run when you power up the truck. The fan doesnt fit all the way down flush on the heat sink but thats ok with me, it allows more air to flow across the whole heat sink imho. Just a back yard bash yesterday, it was 35 degrees outside and according to the temp on the traxxas link it only hit 108, but that was on and off the throttle just playing.
    T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

RC Racer
    I'm joining the choir, ordered me a fan also all though I have not had any issues. It will get warm here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxnutt69 View Post
    How hot was ur motor? My max temp so far has been 202* by the telemetry but my thermal temp gum was only showing about 160*, I'm still not sure why I showed a difference but I did the zip tie fix for the heat sink but still have to do a test run later this morning.
    I don't know hot it was but when i touched it , just going by feel , very hot... Too hot
    I was doing multiple speed runs on 6s until the batteries were finished ..
    by the way how do i get the temperature of the engine via i phone ?

RC Competitor
    my son is not the best vid guy around.. but at least its some jumping... tried to get him to video when we took it down to the park.. but this 46/21 setup is pretty durn quick...

RC poster
    Ordered my blue X-Maxx tonight after work, can't wait to see it in person. Can't stop reading all these threads with tips and issues, tryin to get learned a lil bit. I didn't even know this truck existed until a few days ago... It was an instant obsession, like the Baja 5T was. Still have to order some lipo storage/charging bags or boxes, this is my first electric, have a Savage X4.6 and a Baja 5T. Anyway, everyone seems so cool and helpful on here, thanks for all the great help and info, helps noobs like me immensely.

RC Enthusiast
    I messed with gearing options tonight, the pins for gear change adjustments are crazy simple, I like it. I'm planing on trying a 16, 17, and 18 pinion once I can get access to the Traxxas pinions. 90% of after market ones are too thin compared to the wide spur gear teeth.
    I switched mine out to a 18 today the truck is way more fun, I highly recommend it, and yes love the pins for gear swaps. I get low 40s on speed and with extra fans no heat issues at all. I'm running 30mms into esc and a 50mm on motor and the hotest I could get the motor was 140 through fairly tall grass across the fields and the esc was like 80 degrees. The truck wheelies way better with the higher gearing too. Stock it tacked out to quick for me.

RC Competitor
    Added castle fans tonight.
    Pede Xmaxx Merv 1/18 Rally Blast Spartan M41 Aton

RC Enthusiast
    Added a wild turbo fans 40mm fan to the motor tonight.

I drove my X-Maxx into the new year. Actually, I was doing donuts with it on a ice patch when the year rolled over. Also, I feel like I'm the only on these forums this late now!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-01-2016 at 02:19 AM.

RC Racer
    Nah I'm here.

i just got home from work (3 weeks) yesterday so we had Christmas this morning and i opened mine! I cant get over how big it is! I got an XL2 and Vanquish led bar in the mail today as well.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

Had to cut up some foam to surround my new batteries in the tray.

Took the slipper out today after the Snow Bash run. All good no signs of damage and was still well adjusted. Spur and Pinion looked a ok as well. Got her buttoned back up and ready for tomorrow's action.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

RC Competitor
    well i got my fan in today.. i just sanded down the extra tabs on the inside and smashed down on the motor.. ran the cables and wow what a diff... running 46/21 gears up and down the street i hit it with the temp gun and it was 93deg....the esc was about 85deg. batteries around 85

I did not have to cut anything around the slipper cover.

Quote Originally Posted by antignis View Post
    well i got my fan in today.. i just sanded down the extra tabs on the inside and smashed down on the motor.. ran the cables and wow what a diff... running 46/21 gears up and down the street i hit it with the temp gun and it was 93deg....the esc was about 85deg. batteries around 85

I did not have to cut anything around the slipper cover.
    Really? Hmmm, mind posting a picture of what it looks like?

I'm charging up my 8 battery packs to go run mine out in the snow again. Hopefully I won't break anything!

RC Competitor
    Probably not the best pictures.. but i did have to use a screw driver to push it back a bit after i got it on there.. its not going anywhere.. but i might had a ziptie to keep it from popping out on a bad crash or something.. but wow it keeps it cool..

Quote Originally Posted by antignis View Post
    Probably not the best pictures.. but i did have to use a screw driver to push it back a bit after i got it on there.. its not going anywhere.. but i might had a ziptie to keep it from popping out on a bad crash or something.. but wow it keeps it cool..

Interesting, I didn't know it would fix that way. Thanks for posting pictures.

I took mine off, I don't want the fans getting buried under a bunch of snow I'm running in, for the stock heat sink covered in snow should cool it plenty.

RC Competitor
    we will be lucky if we see snow... i am just waiting on my diff oil to come in so i can take these diffs off and check them... and i have a few diffs to rebuild on my mervs... and for some odd reason i am considering building a merv from scratch... not really sure why though...

RC Racer

They arrived!!
    A.K.A MAXX05
    1 BL Revo,Erevo,Emaxx
    4 XMAXX

RC Competitor
    I put a 20/50 pinion/Spur set on today and tightened up the slipper clutch.

I had ordered a heatsink/fan combo from hobby wing, but after comparing it to the stock heatsink, it just looks too wimpy. The stock heatsink really does have some massive fins on it. So instead, I took off the stock heatsink and put a whole bunch of thermal paste (that stuff has a habit of finding its way onto everything) on the motor and then zip tied the heatsink back on. I can see how some motors could be overheating as there was a decent gap between the two before I did anything.

I also mounted a 60mm fan over the motor and hooked it into the receiver. The fan came with a motherboard plug on the end, so I had to swipe an old receiver plug from a servo I had lying around. In retrospect it would have been a lot less stressful if I would have just bought some new receiver plugs, since soldering the wires to the old plug clips turned out to be a real pain.

I am hoping to find time to get the shock oil changed out tonight to the 50wt and lube everything up.

If it wasn't raining out today I would be out trying the new gearing combo
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

RC Competitor
    Installed my metal shock caps today. Called traxxas and they are sending me new bumpers and rim. No dice on a new body though, they won't send those out. Also asked about the 8400 batteries, they said they have a bunch on order and are waiting for them to come in. The tech I spoke to was very helpful.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ttvr6 View Post
    Installed my metal shock caps today. Called traxxas and they are sending me new bumpers and rim. No dice on a new body though, they won't send those out. Also asked about the 8400 batteries, they said they have a bunch on order and are waiting for them to come in. The tech I spoke to was very helpful.
    Was there something wrong with the body out of the box?
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Enthusiast
    I run a 18 tooth robinson and it works just fine even though it's thinner then the spur.

Ordered my duratrax 6400 3s along with some 50k diff oil. Also on the way is a castle dual fan.

RC Racer
    Took mine down to the beach in South Jersey. Ocean City to be exact. It was chilly but it was my first chance to really experience the truck. Other then a bumber screw loosening up all was well. Ran two sets of 3S. Massive air on the dunes. My GoPro mount broke off within mins though. I'll have to figure something out other then the adhesive Pads as the cold turns them into scotch tape. Temps on the motor and ESC were in the 90s. It was 36f outside temp. Had to keep the batts warm in the car before using them. My Brushless ERevo ripped its rear diff apart though. Bearing designatagrated and just ate itself. Ohwell the X is ready to go tomorrow though
    If you dont like it, just change the warranty.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    Was there something wrong with the body out of the box?
    No, when the shock busted it mangled the corner. And one of the mounts pulled through the body on the front.

Heading out today for another run today. So far 50% of the snow has melted, so it's 50% grass 50% slushy snow. SHould be fun.

Heading out today for another run today. So far 50% of the snow has melted, so it's 50% grass 50% slushy snow. SHould be fun.
    Have fun. This truck is a blast.

Nothing on the truck broke after two full 6s battery sets! I did manage to break the Vanquish LED light bar in the front bumper though during a nasty cartwheel when the bumper flexed so far to the right the wires ripped clean out of the light bar. With a new one costing $50, it sucks. I haven't checked it really to see if it's repairable or not since the beast is currently drying on a heater vent, but we'll see how bad it is when it's dry.

This thing is so awesome. It plows through thick heavy slush with no problem. Not to mention it jumps and lands snow piles great too.

RC Competitor
    Nothing on the truck broke after two full 6s battery sets! I did manage to break the Vanquish LED light bar in the front bumper though during a nasty cartwheel when the bumper flexed so far to the right the wires ripped clean out of the light bar. With a new one costing $50, it sucks. I haven't checked it really to see if it's repairable or not since the beast is currently drying on a heater vent, but we'll see how bad it is when it's dry.

This thing is so awesome. It plows through thick heavy slush with no problem. Not to mention it jumps and lands snow piles great too.
    I was wondering how those light bars were going to hold up... i have nearly ripped my front bumper off twice now...

RC Competitor
    Got my Bluetooth module today.

RC Competitor
    Got her put back together and Castle fan mounted, just waiting on parts, hopefully she'll be running by Monday!

RC Competitor
    dyed some more parts (battery hold downs) installed the battery voltage wire. installed castle fan. should be good to go for a run when its warm enough for my hands to not freeze after a minute. its -1 here currently.
    XMAXX, 1/16th SUMMIT, EREVO

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast