RC Enthusiast

How do you clean electric RC's

I have a VXL Bandit, fully water proof. Cant justify buying a compressor to the wife yet to blow it clean of dust?

Can you remove battery and hose it????

How do the gurus clean them???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    You can hose it. But I don't like to generally. There are parts to rust and the bearings are only sealed-ish.

I use a product called moo slick to coat most all my parts that helps repel dirt and water. Good stuff. It leaves a silicon coating that isn't really wet or sticky.

I feel better about hosing when my trucks are treated well with this.

I've also used brake cleaner. Be careful with which kind you choose, though. ONLY use non chlorinated. Chlorinated will eat the plastics. I got it once by mistake and now have a very funny looking esc.

You can blast grime out with it.

Also, do you have a leaf blower? That can help, and can dry off a wet RC in a hurry.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

depends on how dirty it is.

if its dust. i just blow it off with the compressor.

if its wet and muddy hose it off with a hose then blow it off with the compressor and wd40 and reoil whats needed.
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Qualifier
    I take the wheels of and the esc fan. Then was it off with warm water and blowdry it with my wifes dryer. Making sure it dries good and I have no rust nowhere...
    Wash the wheels and blow dry them as well.

RC Competitor
    You could also use compressed air in cans for computers to blow dust off but it is not cheap. Or some shop vacs have a set up that will blow air if you put the hose on the exhaust port.

[QUOTE=mattryan;6140411]I have a VXL Bandit, fully water proof. Cant justify buying a compressor to the wife yet QUOTE]

Let the wife know a compressor (small pancake style, can be had around $100.00 US) is good for other reasons such as airing up the tires on your 1:1 car and much more then she may be up for it.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

It depends on how dirty it is. For the most part, I just blow it down with compressed air (Craftsman 2ga compressor). You can also use canned air, but that gets expensive.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    you can just hose them off. I usually use warm water in the shower. Then i just turn it upside down and let it drip dry. Then give everything a drop of oil. I use sewing machine oil in those precision oilers as it does not attract dust.

And I thought I was the only one who bathed with their cars!!!!
    If it cant be broke, I'll break it.

Instead of canned air you can buy a handheld blower for $57 on Amazon. Metro Vacuum 0.75hp ED500 electric duster. With the attachments it can blow very forcefully and it doesn't run out of air like a small compressor does.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?