RC Competitor

Well.... My Xmaxx is dead.

So I charged up my batteries tonight to get a little back yard bashing in before I went to bed and the truck ran strong for about three minuets or so then the esc light goes red blinking. Hmmm, curious. So I think maybe the batteries weren't all the way charged or I charged a different set.

I tested them on my lipo balancer and they read 12.40 or some thing like that, oh well. I tossed them on my charger just to top them off any way. So they need maybe 300 mah added. OK...... I throw them back in the truck and take it out side again, and again it does the same thing. Runs so strong it almost flips over back wards on the street a couple times then after a couple passes.... Half power. I thought maybe snow got in there or some dirt and blocked the fan.

I bring it inside and take the body off, nope, fan is clear. So I disconnect the batteries and re connect them and turn the truck on.... Green lights all around, great, no fan. So I take it out side with the top off drop it on the ground and power is like it should be, go out front of my house and after a couple passes half power again. I listen.... No fan. Bring it inside and hit the motor with a temp gun and the motor is about 174 ish, esc about 85. About where it should be maybe?

I un plug the batteries and remove the esc to see if the fan is bound up from some thing I just can't see, no again. I leave the fan cover off toss the truck on a box and gun it a couple times, no problems. I'm not going to run it out side like that it's cold and there's snow on the ground but again get the motor up to about 101 deg. And still no fan.

I'm starting to really wonder if I shouldn't just yank out all the traxxas electronics and put in a castle set up like some other guys have done.

This truck some moments gets on my last fricken nerv!

I registered it with traxxas and sent support a email. I have been trying to stay up beat and not complain about the other issues I have had with this truck but it's serial number 1235! So it's a fresh one off the assembly line. Maybe Q.C. Just missed this one and it's got issues like my ex's.?.

Edit* yup I just plugged a different fan into my esc and it came on right away so besides the fan I've potentially got other issues with my esc. Looks like a yank it out and try to find a new one from another manufacturer. I swear it seems like the traxxas esc's in some of these trucks are just garbage!
    Last edited by Hpiman74; 12-31-2015 at 04:39 AM.
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

Contact Traxxas support. They will get you fixed up and going again

Check to see if your ESC, fan and any other wires going into the receiver box has been pinched or cut? And let us know, and follow-up with Traxxas of course.

RC Competitor
    No pinched wires just odd "not working" function. Lol.

New esc going in. Any one interested in the stock esc when I get it replaced by traxxas? It's under 30 days so I should get a replacement for free. This one of course wasn't so it would be nice to see some money back for replaceing traxxas stuff. Next I think I'm going to replace the stock motor and get a more powerful one.

Last edited by Hpiman74; 12-31-2015 at 02:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    Mounted up and ready to go.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I'm afraid that ESC will struggle, but I hope not!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    The truck seems faster. A lot faster. I had it trying to do back flips on snow with no traction! This thing feels a lot healthier.

RC Champion
    Interesting. I've been wondering how a mamba monster would compare to the stock ESC. I have a feeling the stock ESC is the weak link in the X-Maxx.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Competitor
    I truly the no the truck runs faster and my run time feels like it's smoothed out and gone a little longer. Maybe just wishful thinking but I don't think I'll throw the stock one back in once it gets replaced that for sure.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I don't doubt that it may run smoother and stronger. With better firmware and adjustability options that Castle gives.

I just wonder about it being robust enough and being rated for enough amps for a truck this heavy. I hope it handles it well, though. I'd like to pick up an x maxx roller some day and use my mmm extreme.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    Yeah so far it's rolled along rather well. And the guys at the hobby shop kinda helped the choice along by saying it was going to for sure be a upgrade. They weren't just trying to sell me on it. They know I would want one that was going to be tough.

I also like the fact that I can go in it with my castle link and mess with settings where as the traxxas one it was a lot of "push this button and wait for different lights etc." it just actually seems quite a bit beefier. I know the traxxas one was taller etc. but this one just feels better put together.

RC Competitor
    Plus I have to say if it out lasts the traxxas one, not even 30 days, then I'm ahead already lol. Plus I'm sure the hobby shop will cover me on this one if it doesn't last I bought it new from them.

If it doesn't work out the 8s it is! Then I'll just gear it down to keep it around the same speed. I don't need the top speed out of it. I'm good with hoe fast it is right now.

RC Qualifier
    I truly hope the Mamba Monster 2 gets the job done, but watch the temps very closely since Castle has this to say about the MM2 :

"Intended for up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation in vehicles weighing less than 15 lbs, with batteries, ready-to-run"

RC Champion
    I would add a capacitor bank to that ESC similar to what traxxas did with the XO1. I've added a cap bank to both by brushless E-Revo's. It will help filter the current spikes you get under braking, which I'm sure are quite large on this truck.

As far as "faster" it probably isn't any faster in terms of top speed, but the MM may have a more aggressive throttle curve making it feel faster with smaller amounts of throttle input.
    Last edited by 2IS; 01-01-2016 at 03:23 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I also changed out the radio for the airtronics my-4s the self righting never worked and I'd rather not put my drive train through that kind torque bursts any way. And so I could program my throttle curves (I know I can do that with a lap top and cable on the esc) brakes and stearing speed etc.

The esc has three caps on it is that not the same thing?

As far as faster yeah I didn't actually believe that because it's still the same batteries and gearing.

How every with out touching the slipper it does try to wheel stand more than it did before but is probably due to me taking the hesitation (or what ever) out of the trigger response. AND this radio communicates much faster than the traxxas one did.
    Last edited by Hpiman74; 01-01-2016 at 09:43 PM.