RC Competitor

Steering going crazy while driving

Steering won't center with trim. Yet if you drive it it will work itself out . Then full crank left for a while then normal. It's basically wiggin out in the steering department. Any suggestions , or has any one else run into this ?

Try turning the TSM fully off, and that should stop the steering from going crazy. It's the TSM being too sensitive.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Competitor
    Tried that . It doesn't just wiggle. It's for several minutes at a time it will be full trim left so I'll start walking towards it. Then magically normal for a while and keep driving then full crank left again after several minutes .

RC Competitor
    Big thing everyone needs to realize is you have to turn tsm off before adusting the steering trim, then you can turn it back on again
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hazelmullins View Post
    Big thing everyone needs to realize is you have to turn tsm off before adusting the steering trim, then you can turn it back on again
    I did read this after I started having problems. Byt even following those steps my conditions are the same. I went straight to the manual when this happened and found that out. Thanks for everyone's help so far though

RC Competitor
    On the tsm topic, does anyone know if I can disable tsm all together ? I don't use it anyway and I would like to be able to set my steering trim without having to turn the tsm knob to the middle, then adjust trim, then turn my tsm back off. The problem is you can't actually adjust trim with tsm "off" your tsm has to be set "straight up" which is actually 50%... But it's "0" on the controller. Sorry if I confused everyone there.
    Last edited by Holdenracing; 12-31-2015 at 10:52 PM.

RC Competitor
    There was another post somewhere on here about a truck going whacky after driving for a bit and it would get better after he would walk close to the truck, I think he said he found the antenna wire partially cut by the receiver lid, just something to check

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdenracing View Post
    On the tsm topic, does anyone know if I can disable tsm all together ? I don't use it anyway and I would like to be able to set my steering trim without having to turn the tsm knob to the middle, then adjust trim, then turn my tsm back off. The problem is you can't actually adjust trim with tsm "off" your tsm has to be set "straight up" which is actually 50%... But it's "0" on the controller. Sorry if I confused everyone there.

Look at the manual again. The tsm must be off (which is all the way to the left) not at 50% before adjusting the steering trim. I just read it again to make sure
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hazelmullins View Post
    Look at the manual again. The tsm must be off (which is all the way to the left) not at 50% before adjusting the steering trim. I just read it again to make sure
    You are 100% right , which means I've been doing it right the whole time because Tsm has been off since day one.

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone have this issue? When I turn the wheels with the truck off of the ground even with TSM turned off the wheels kind of shake as they move from left to right. It isn't really noticeable while driving the truck, but I don't understand why it does it.

RC Competitor
    Well by me letting the truck sit overnight unplugged the issue seems to go away on its own , it happened again and again the next day it was fine. I've run 4 sets of batteries since then and twice it wanted to stay full lock left while in the middle of driving for around 15-20 seconds , then returned to normal operating. Working fine as of now

Unplugged over night? Do you not unplug the packs after each run until the next run?

Still worth calling Traxxas to help report and understand w may have happened, root cause.

RC Competitor
    I had this exact issue yesterday. My tsm was all the way off. I turned the truck on and the wheels were almost fully clocked left a few turns in the TX got them to center again. I assumed it was the steering trim or tsm. Checked both and nothing. It worked itself out as I drove it. Maybe I'll call Traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoXlvr View Post
    I had this exact issue yesterday. My tsm was all the way off. I turned the truck on and the wheels were almost fully clocked left a few turns in the TX got them to center again. I assumed it was the steering trim or tsm. Checked both and nothing. It worked itself out as I drove it. Maybe I'll call Traxxas.
    If you call Traxxas, please share what their thoughts are on the situation.

Was the X-MAXX far aware from you at the time? I am wondering if any wires (antenna) is pinched/cut going into the receiver box. There has been reports of that, and perhaps the X-MAXX looses connection with Transmitter for a moment and goes into a safe mode or something? Just a thought.

Please let us know what Traxxas says on the issue.

RC Competitor
    I was within 5 feet of it with a crowd of people around. One guy asked me if my steering trim was too far left and it was centered. I'll call Traxxas at some point today if I get time

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Unplugged over night? Do you not unplug the packs after each run until the next run?

Still worth calling Traxxas to help report and understand w may have happened, root cause.
    Yep always unplug them . But doing that for short times did nothing to change the steering full lock problem. Every time I turned it on it was full crank left and trim adjust did nothing and the steering on remote couldn't move it either. But both times after sitting over night it was magically fixed again

RC Competitor
    Talked to traxxas about this problem, they said try to reset the steering end points. Offered no help other than that, and didn't seem to want to look into it any further. I also mentioned to them that I broke a shock shaft, they said I should order a new on. I asked if anything was in the works and was told by two different people that traxxas is not working on anything different for the shocks or shafts, not even as upgrade parts.

RC Competitor
    Talked to traxxas about this problem, they said try to reset the steering end points. Offered no help other than that, and didn't seem to want to look into it any further. I also mentioned to them that I broke a shock shaft, they said I should order a new on. I asked if anything was in the works and was told by two different people that traxxas is not working on anything different for the shocks or shafts, not even as upgrade parts.
    Dang....... It seems like they may be sick of us X-Maxx guys?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoXlvr View Post
    Dang....... It seems like they may be sick of us X-Maxx guys?
    When I told them I knew they were giving away free shocks and or shafts, then he said maybe we can give you a few extra shafts.... I wasn't bringing that up to get free parts I was bringing that up to show that they KNOW they have a problem and they are giving away free parts because of it, maybe they should try to work on a fix for the problem was my point. And to be clear I don't want the fix for free either . I just want the option to buy a shock shaft that isn't milled down to half it's original size at the threads .

RC Competitor
    Atleast, they offered to help

RC Racer
    I may not fully understand the issue here. Are the wheels turning to full stop left all on their own? If that is the case I'd check your receiver wire and the servo connections. Could also take apart the servo and make sure the gears aren't missing teeth.

RC Competitor
    The servo clocks full left no matter what. A few jiggles of the steering wheel centers it back.. Basically, the servo doesnt center correctly. This happened to me with the wheels on and off the ground.

RC Racer
    I'd guess its a servo issue, or rx/tx issue, or tsm. One of you guys with the issue should swap the stock servo and see if the problem still exists.

RC Competitor
    I dont have a servo big enough LOL

plug in a standard servo just for a bench test, don't install it or anything, see if it acts crazy with a known good servo. or plug the xmaxx servo into a different radio system and see if it works right.

RC Qualifier
    I'm starting to wonder if some of the esc issues aren't servo related ?
    Seems that a majority of the esc that burned were on the BEC side, if the servo is failing it may draw too much amperage from the esc causing a brown-out.

Just a theory. Maybe some of the esc issues could be fixed with an external BEC and a stronger servo.
    I converted my E-Revo to single servo and I used a Sav÷x SA-1230SG wich has 500oz-in of torque and the X-Maxx is much heavier than my ERBE is...

start off by replacing all of your TX batteries, if you kept it on by accident and there is a weak signal it will cause your servo to twitch…. bad side of the BEC as stated above could be it as well but check batteries first if you haven't done so already.

RC Competitor
    So I called and talked to someone totally different today that said they ARE working on a fix for the broken shock shaft and they think it's mainly cold weather related. Im Not sure if it makes any difference but I seemed to get a much better response and interest in how/why my parts broke when I called the "parts" department instead of the "technical support" line ? But today ( my 3rd time calling traxxas) I felt like I actually got some of that customer support that I've been hearing everyone rave about.

RC Competitor
    I got a set of wheels coming and a upper control arm for free and hopefully a free esc. They wanted me to send in the motor too but I am still running the truck and the motor is fine so I kept it. The guy I talked to was pretty cool. He said I might have voided my warranty by changing the battery leads though. That would suck.

Since buying my Xmaxx I have swapped out all the stock electronics except the stearing servo and motor. But when the motor goes bad I'm going to go to a bigger castle motor any way. I have the MM2 in the truck right now and that seems to work just fine, I like the more tunability of the MM2. I also swapped my radio system out for a MT-4S set up from airtronics and I love how I can adjust the entire truck even more from the lcd screen on my remote! It was well worth it. The only thing I lost was the self righting feature (which never worked right) and the stearing straight stuff, I have no problem controlling the truck so no real loss there.

I've got aluminum shock caps on the way and the castle dual fan shroud for the motors and plan on just running it like that until stuff breaks. Once aluminum parts come out I will get every thing involving the stearing just to tighten that up baybe some diff cases and bulk heads other than that the truck is pretty rock solid as she sits.
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

Was the crazy steering issue in this thread resolved? resolution?

XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Was the crazy steering issue in this thread resolved? resolution?
    This is an intermittent issue . So no, it hasn't been resolved, it started working again long enough for me to break the shock shaft. So until the new one shows up I won't know for how long the steering continues to function.

This is what to expect:

TSM needs forward movement to accurately correct for steering issues. If the truck is stationary / off the ground and TSM cannot see the movement it might do some strange stuff. This might be a full lock either direction or the steering may appear to "hunt" from left to right. Not sure what causes either situation, but it's normal since the TSM is giving steering corrections and then not seeing corresponding movement with the vehicle, so it either tries to provide more "correction" or may change directions.

When you run the truck it should drive straight. To make steering trim adjustments you need to turn TSM off, make the trim adjustment, then turn it back on again.

If you have TSM turned off the steering should center normally all the time when you let go of the steering wheel. Verify TSM is deactivated by "blipping" the throttle (TSM deactivates after no throttle for a few seconds.) and then picking the truck up and twisting it side to side. The steering should not automatically respond. If the wheels automatically turn in time with you moving the truck then TSM is active.

You can deactivate TSM with the multi function knob (MFK) if it is set to adjust TSM. You can also deactivate it using the Traxxas Link App.
    Last edited by TireSlinger; 01-06-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Competitor
    My TSM has been full off since the first second I played with the truck. Both on the remote and in the traxxas app. I have literally been able to play with my xmaxx for 20 minutes since I got it christmas day. My 3s batteries will be here friday. Ill see what other issues i run into.

RC Competitor
    My tsm is also always off. When it goes full crank left not even turning the steering on the remote control will make the tires budge . They are full stuck full left no matter what you do with the steering wheel , tsm, or trim .

That sounds like it may either be an issue with the transmitter or the servo. If you can get it to happen repeatedly you might try plugging the servo into channel two on the receiver and plugging the throttle into channel 1.

(You'll want to have the motor unplugged just in case "full lock left" is full throttle / reverse.)

Use the trigger to operate the steering and see if it still locks up left. If it does then you know it's a servo issue and not a transmitter issue.

PM me what you find out and I'll see what I can do to fix you up.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Competitor
    I'll tinker a little bit later this week. I'm so busy with work right now, I won't have any hobby time. Gotta do what I gotta do so I can do what I want! Lol. Thanks for the support!!!!!!!!!