Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

X-Maxx does not live up to expectations (Broken parts)

Let me say first that I have no experience with Traxxas products. My so got an X-Maxx for Christmas, and he hasn't been playing with it, so I have. We haven't ran it much due to the wimpy batteries we purchased (4200mah 2s), maybe 15 - 30 min a day for 7 days (it takes an hour per battery to charge). We also haven't ran it that hard. I have 3/4 acre lot in a neighborhood, so our use has been limited to the road, and yard which are both flat. The highest we have jumped it is 1.5 ft.

The problems started out with a cracked bumper. The bottom of the front bumper cracked and a chip came out of it. I blew that off, thinking it happens and moved on. Then I noticed that I could not get the auto self-righting feature to work. I have tried everything and yet I have had to flip it manually every single time.

This morning I went to drive it on the road and I heard a clicking sound. Every time I would reverse or turn the wheels it would click on the front right wheel. I took it in and started to take it apart and noticed as I was taking it apart that the tire was flat. It had broke the seal at the rim about halfway around. Continuing to take it apart, I found that the drive-shaft pin had snapped and had completely tore up the aluminum Stub Axle. Here is a photo.

Inspecting the rest of the tires, I noticed that there is a cracked rim on the rear right wheel as well. This, to me, is a poorly made vehicle. Traxxas sold this for $800 and that didn't include batteries and charger. over 1k invested on something that lasts 7 days doesn't really seem like a good investment to me. I understand that over time and use you break parts, but 7 days is rather ridiculous.

[edit] I forgot to mention that at least 2 shocks are leaking, but I hear that is commonplace for these vehicles until the shock seals get seated.
    Last edited by thoughtwrong; 01-01-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Reading stuff like this makes me worry and thinking about fully inspecting truck before running it and take is very easy at first in order to check if its ok. Early Warranty claims should be easier if it doesn't look like its been driven hard.

I know they've sold a boatload of these. I'm just curious if the issues we're seeing is a small percentage.

It seems as though we're quick to complain about stuff but forget to praise. (not directed at op) I'm hoping the success stories far outnumber the failures.

Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Reading stuff like this makes me worry and thinking about fully inspecting truck before running it and take is very easy at first in order to check if its ok. Early Warranty claims should be easier if it doesn't look like its been driven hard.
    there built for taking beating
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    I know they've sold a boatload of these. I'm just curious if the issues we're seeing is a small percentage.

It seems as though we're quick to complain about stuff but forget to praise. (not directed at op) I'm hoping the success stories far outnumber the failures.
    From what I've gathered I believe that over 10,000 have sold. Most issues are a drop in the bucket.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Racer
    10000 units sold if that's the case then this is a super reliable truck !

Quote Originally Posted by FatWheels View Post
    10000 units sold if that's the case then this is a super reliable truck !
    I can't tell if you're serious or not, but I share the same idea if you're serious. Think world wide how many people want these, I would be surprised if it wasn't over 10,000 trucks sold.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxcrazy33 View Post
    there built for taking beating
    Not to get off topic, but is that a Big Red as your picture? I can't see enough detail in the picture to tell
    XMAXX (Red), Tmaxx 2.5 (converting to electric)

RC Racer
    I was serious if your sales figures are correct. It is very reliable.

$8 million sales in two weeks would be extremely impressive though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    From what I've gathered I believe that over 10,000 have sold. Most issues are a drop in the bucket.

What is your source for these numbers? Less then a week ago you said 5000

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6135935

RC Champion
    Where are you getting your numbers? I hope it's not based on serial numbers.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Enthusiast
    I have had mine for almost 2 weeks. Not 1 broken part. It's how you drive the truck. The fact that people blame traxxas for these "broken parts" is a joke. Put it on training mode and learn how to drive the truck I guess.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TAYLORSWIFT View Post
    I have had mine for almost 2 weeks. Not 1 broken part. It's how you drive the truck. The fact that people blame traxxas for these "broken parts" is a joke. Put it on training mode and learn how to drive the truck I guess.
    How do you know how they were driving the truck? Please share

RC Racer
    Well said Taylor

RC Champion
    You have no idea how they were driving the truck. Yours could be fine while someone else's has a manufacturing defect, it happens all the time. You blaming the owner when you have no idea what happened is the joke.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    The highest jump was 1.5 feet on 2S .......

RC Racer
    I communicate regularly with traxxas. As Wolf and I both are affiliated with hobbyshops we have a greater grasp of the information that is provided to us from traxxas. Traxxas has sold many. And i know for a fact that a container that showed up at one of our distributors that we purchase from sold out of their x-maxx shipment in a few hours. And that was a around a 1000 units. So i wouldnt be surprise if its already at 10000 or close.

And due to the statistics wolf is right its a dime in the buck.
    Lets not got too direct about how one or the other was driving. As we really and truthfull do not know the whole picture.

If their is an issue Traxxas will take care of him. Contact Traxxas they will help if you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    I communicate regularly with traxxas. As Wolf and I both are affiliated with hobbyshops we have a greater grasp of the information that is provided to us from traxxas. Traxxas has sold many. And i know for a fact that a container that showed up at one of our distributors that we purchase from sold out of their x-maxx shipment in a few hours. And that was a around a 1000 units. So i wouldnt be surprise if its already at 10000 or close.

Lets not got too direct about how one or the other was driving. As we really and truthfull do not know the whole picture.

If their is an issue Traxxas will take care of him. Contact Traxxas they will help if you let them.

Every time I read one of these stories I think about your video at the skate park.

I would have thought if anyone was to have issues, it'd be someone like you, lol. And that's meant as a compliment,ha.

Best place to complain about Traxxas...right here. Just guessing here, but the folks unhappy haven't talked to customer support yet? Cause from the sounds of it, Traxxas has gone above & beyond.

If this truck was below average, this place would be absolutely nuts with outraged customers, imo.

How many threads on the front page from disgruntled owners...6? What kind of % is figured to have issues out of say 10k models sold to be considered a success or failure?

can all of the "i just got it and it's broke already" posts be consolidated into one thread? frankly they are cluttering up the place and pushing good threads off the first page.

on topic: did you put dry lube on the cv joint that failed? i wonder if maybe the pins are tight and heating up rapidly and weakening the pin until it snaps.
    Last edited by rizz0d; 01-01-2016 at 07:24 PM.

RC Champion
    This forum moves pretty slow, I don't see much clutter. If there was so much clutter making it hard to find posts you're looking for then that means by definition there are a LOT of people having problems but you just said in your last post how few there were. Good threads won't get lost, they will be active and thus get bumped regularly.

If you're suggesting the mods belittle issues people are having by simply grouping them together into one so you can easily ignore them, then we should do the same to the "I just got my xmaxx" threads. There's nothing about these threads that make them any "less good" then any other ones.

EDIT: My mistake, it wasn't you that said how few problems there were, point being... Finding what you're looking for isn't hard around here and peoples having problems should have their say just as people that do not.
    Last edited by 2IS; 01-01-2016 at 07:39 PM.

RC Racer
    I tell you what how about everyone complain about me cause honestly I feel left out with all the breaking talk
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I heard 5000-6000 made and sold.

RC Champion

I'm not arguing that they haven't sold 10k units, I honestly don't know, that's why I was asking how he came up with that number. I would like to point out though that there is no way 1000 X-Maxx's fit in a shipping container. A 45' shipping container is around 2600 cubic feet. The X-Maxx truck alone, without the controller, accessories, and box is over 5 cubic feet itself.

I have no doubt Traxxas will take care of the people having problems. They're really good at that. Could there be some kind of manufacturing or design problem? Yes, it's happened before with Traxxas, just like it happens with pretty much all companies. Could it just be a few isolated problems? Yes, and it likely is. There's no way for us to know though, so attacking people (and I know you didn't, I'm referring to the TaylorSwift person) because they're having problems with thiers and insinuating it's their fault is just out of line IMO.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 01-01-2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: I hate autocorrect
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    can all of the "i just got it and it's broke already" posts be consolidated into one thread? frankly they are cluttering up the place and pushing good threads off the first page.

on topic: did you put dry lube on the cv joint that failed? i wonder if maybe the pins are tight and heating up rapidly and weakening the pin until it snaps.
    rizz, you mention dry lube, which I believe is an ideal lube for all rc trucks. Do you use Teflon based or silicone based?

Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    If you're suggesting the mods belittle issues people are having by simply grouping them together into one so you can easily ignore them, then we should do the same to the "I just got my xmaxx" threads. There's nothing about these threads that make them any "less good" then any other ones.
    it's not belittling to group "i broke it already" posts into one thread so they aren't shuffled up all over the place. it would make one clear and concise spot for people to check if they break theirs. and now that you mention it it would be nice if the "i got an xmaxx" posts were also grouped together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammy1000 View Post
    rizz, you mention dry lube, which I believe is an ideal lube for all rc trucks. Do you use Teflon based or silicone based?
    teflon based. my can says "made with PTFE" and "does not contain silicone"
    Last edited by Double G; 01-02-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: merge, clutter reduction

RC Racer
    Totally agree with you Rob. I just go off of info that is given to me.

Is it always possible to get flawed info. YES.

Keep in mind there are many distributing facilities and large hobby companies across the globe. Thats alot of x-maxx's out there and have been sold.

Enough said.
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

I am one of the unlucky ones sitting with 1k invested with 2 days driving and 8 days down. I was pretty disappointed at first. But i called traxxas and told them one happend, they asked for my address and i have new parts en route.

I typically stay away from 1st releases. No amount of quality control can equal the first year of user testing after a release. Its the reality of manufacturing.

The real question is how many people that post their complaints online contacted traxxas first?

Traxxas understands the frustration that comes with paying good money for somthing and having it break. They will be the first to say its unacceptable and do everything within reason to fix it.

RC Enthusiast
    If this "10,000" number is accurate, chances are all of those 10,000 people are not active, registered participants of this forum. The number of broken xmaxx's could be much higher than what we have seen posted here.

RC poster
    I am no fanboy. In fact I have avoided and disliked traxxas since I bought the T-maxx when it first came out. I am a big HPI fan to be honest. But when I saw the new X-maxx I had to have it. I beat mine like a red headed step child. And have not broke a thing! Now I don't run it full speed into trees or cement walls. But I accidently slammed it into my back deck. Didn't break a thing which surprised me. It has cartwheeled across the back yard at full speed.(on 2 3-cell 5000 batteries) So all in all I'm not complaining about the x-maxx yet. If I had to complain about anything. I guess I could say the tires are to soft of rubber. I ran it all over a soy bean field. And had 3 bean stalks stab into my tires and break off. The way I was beating the truck I'm not gona complain. I have completely dissembled the truck to check for wear on the diff gears and have not found anything wrong. One note if you do hose this thing off with a garden hose like I had to. dissemble it and coat all the metal on it with some corrosion X. Or some type of rust preventative.

RC Champion
    Totally agree with you Rob. I just go off of info that is given to me.

Is it always possible to get flawed info. YES.

Keep in mind there are many distributing facilities and large hobby companies across the globe. Thats alot of x-maxx's out there and have been sold.

Enough said.
    Given Rob's analysis of shipping crates vs number of xmaxx's that can fit, and Wolfslash's sales figures doubling from 5k to 10k in less than a weeks time, with zero explanation of how that happened or any sources to speak of, I think it's safe to say no one here knows or even has a clue how many xmaxx have been sold except for Traxxas themselves. We should probably refrain from providing inaccurate information, especially when it appears to be based on nothing more than a combination of guess work, wishful thinking and he said/she said, and that's giving the benefit of the doubt by assuming the numbers weren't simply made up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    Given Rob's analysis of shipping crates vs number of xmaxx's that can fit, and Wolfslash's sales figures doubling from 5k to 10k in less than a weeks time, with zero explanation of how that happened or any sources to speak of, I think it's safe to say no one here knows or even has a clue how many xmaxx have been sold except for Traxxas themselves. We should probably refrain from providing inaccurate information, especially when it appears to be based on nothing more than a combination of guess work, wishful thinking and he said/she said, and that's giving the benefit of the doubt by assuming the numbers weren't simply made up.

I know for a FACT that Traxxas has sold more than 5,000 X-Maxx's. The distributor HRP, which is only 6 mile from my LHS, has sold out of 2000. That's not including all the ones bought directly from Traxxas, or Great Planes, or Horizon, or even private sales. That's only what I know about here in the USA. I can't guarantee it's over 10,000, but it's most likely safe to say it's probably around that number. I do know more than 5,000 have sold though.

I'll cease talking about number's though. I can't guarantee 100% these numbers, only Traxxas can.

Let's get back on topic please....

RC Qualifier
    if the op is only running 4s and broke a shaft the X maxx is truly a joke.... If they've sold 10,000 or 1,000,000 of these things and that's the reason I held off for the X maxx I will not pay $800 for something and it break I get its a part of the hobby but catching on fire from leaking shocks to shafts... I mean these trucks were suppose to be the next generation of strong... I'm not hating on traxxas... I own 12 traxxas trucks and another e revo on the way! I just hope traxxas fixes these issues and I'll give them my money for one

RC Competitor
    I broke my upper suspension arm and snapped the shock shaft the first 10 minutes of driving. I did run into a wall accidentally, however it wasn't full throttle and it was just about 6 ft from wall from where I throttled. I wonder if the plastic used for parts is rated for a 22 lb truck @ 30mph. Theoretically, the plastic used on this truck should be stronger than the plastic for its smaller trucks such as emaxx.

RC poster
    very new to rc and the xmaxx. tore up my stub axle today. i have beat this thing pretty hard. first time out broke my shock shaft. dont know if it was the post or the 6 foot jump. im leaning towards the post. it broke at the threads, and i threaded new ones on and lost a little length. broke the other shock shaft definitely a post this time. made some new threads, lost a little length but they are even,ha. never even had to rebuild the shock. but today, after some outings with out major incident, i heard the clicking then found the stub axle destroyed. on the question if the xmaxx is tough i would say yes if ran in a place large and soft. meaning dirt and stone piles i doubt could hurt the xmaxx. the bumpers cant handle prolonged abuse. i am so new to rc my opinion carries little weight i just had a little extra money and chased the boyhood dream. the xmaxx hasnt disappointed but my final words on the durability would be, enjoy it when it is running and find a fast shipper to repair it when it is not. bc a truck this powerful and size will find a few posts.

RC Qualifier
    I have to be honest if you saw my vids then you saw me doing cartwheels and flips and a lot of crashes. The damage to my X-Maxx has been cracked body, pulled the screws through the body, and scraped off some of the skid plate. Outside of that my X-Maxx took a beating above and beyond and is still running. My 6 year old bounced it off several trees today while we were running on ice and I slammed it into our ice rink wall a few times. It has been one tough truck so far.

RC poster
    My Xmaxx broke on the first jump! It broke the right rear shock cap and corresponding bulkhead. It was a standard jump of about six feet high at 15 mph and 30 degrees inclination. Traxxas shows on their website promoting the truck doing much more than what I did. I think they rushed the truck into production and ran into supplier problems overseas. So, I think that we are all suckers for buying the first batch. We are the test market. The latest RC Action magazine just named it "truck of the year". Am I the only one to think that it is a bit too early for such an award? Traxxas will have no less than three ads per issue. I would put this 800 dollar truck on par with a 30 dollar New Bright RC truck at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by gtakacs View Post
    My Xmaxx broke on the first jump! It broke the right rear shock cap and corresponding bulkhead. It was a standard jump of about six feet high at 15 mph and 30 degrees inclination. Traxxas shows on their website promoting the truck doing much more than what I did. I think they rushed the truck into production and ran into supplier problems overseas. So, I think that we are all suckers for buying the first batch. We are the test market. The latest RC Action magazine just named it "truck of the year". Am I the only one to think that it is a bit too early for such an award? Traxxas will have no less than three ads per issue. I would put this 800 dollar truck on par with a 30 dollar New Bright RC truck at Walmart.
    Welcome to the forums!

Can you post picture of what parts broke? Wondering if it's a bad part cast.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtwrong View Post
    Let me say first that I have no experience with Traxxas products. My so got an X-Maxx for Christmas, and he hasn't been playing with it, so I have. We haven't ran it much due to the wimpy batteries we purchased (4200mah 2s), maybe 15 - 30 min a day for 7 days (it takes an hour per battery to charge). We also haven't ran it that hard. I have 3/4 acre lot in a neighborhood, so our use has been limited to the road, and yard which are both flat. The highest we have jumped it is 1.5 ft.

The problems started out with a cracked bumper. The bottom of the front bumper cracked and a chip came out of it. I blew that off, thinking it happens and moved on. Then I noticed that I could not get the auto self-righting feature to work. I have tried everything and yet I have had to flip it manually every single time.

This morning I went to drive it on the road and I heard a clicking sound. Every time I would reverse or turn the wheels it would click on the front right wheel. I took it in and started to take it apart and noticed as I was taking it apart that the tire was flat. It had broke the seal at the rim about halfway around. Continuing to take it apart, I found that the drive-shaft pin had snapped and had completely tore up the aluminum Stub Axle. Here is a photo.

Inspecting the rest of the tires, I noticed that there is a cracked rim on the rear right wheel as well. This, to me, is a poorly made vehicle. Traxxas sold this for $800 and that didn't include batteries and charger. over 1k invested on something that lasts 7 days doesn't really seem like a good investment to me. I understand that over time and use you break parts, but 7 days is rather ridiculous.

[edit] I forgot to mention that at least 2 shocks are leaking, but I hear that is commonplace for these vehicles until the shock seals get seated.
    The X-Maxx is listed as skill level 6, that means it will require maintenance regularly. The part that broke in your pic is an item that would benefit from a clean and re-lube after every run. I have ran mine hard but also spend time doing maintenance and the only broken part was user error(I hit a tree at full speed). A little maintenance will go a long way.

RC poster
    tbocfo, "A little maintenance will go a long way." I couldn't agree more. Having worked on Light Armored Vehicles in the Marines, preventative maintenance has become how I think about vehicles both full-size and R/C. I've owned R/C cars and trucks from a number of manufacturers (Associated, Losi, Mugen, Tekno, and more) and consistent maintenance has become a foundational truth to smooth running. Regardless of the manufacturer, if you don't clean and lube the high wear parts (CV joints, especially) the likelihood of breakage increases. My son's slash with Tekno CV joints, which are very similar to the XMAXX CV joints, broke in the same way Thoughtwrong's failed after only a few battery packs. I knew that I should have greased them, but I didn't and they failed.

Some of the issues I've faced with the XMAXX are not due to lack of maintenance or checks are:

1. Motor temp with stock gearing with <60 degree ambient. Solved via this forum with the castle 1/5 scale fan shroud.
    2. Wheels and tire problems. Rubber tearing and wheels cracking after moderate use. Traxxas sent me a new set of unmounted wheels / tires. Glued them myself and haven't yet had any problems. Temporary fix, but I don't expect them to fix the manufacturing issue overnight... Also, certain members of this community have created adapters to resolve this issue further.
    3. Bumper mounts. The way the "consumable" bumper mounts are attached to the bumper (two 4X12 screws) means that they easily pull through their threads when the bumper impacts something (usually the ground). I've replaced the front mount a few times, and am waiting for an aftermarket solution.

Am I happy with the truck? Absolutely. My boys and I have put it through some terrible treatment to include rolling it into a tree at full speed. Thanks to the overbuilt shock towers, nothing broke. Although an inconvenience, the three issues I listed above are tolerable. To be honest, I remember thinking, "should I get the ERBE instead to avoid the early adopter issues?" I went with the XMAXX and am still impressed by the platform and how it performs.
    Last edited by peartjar; 03-21-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast