RC poster

Grinding noise, no go.....help please

Hi all,

My son was going full throttle in his Stampede VXL on pavement and then hit full reverse. The truck then made a high pitched grinding noise. Motor is responding fine, steering fine, thinking its a gear box of sorts. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by sy1717 View Post
    Hi all,

My son was going full throttle in his Stampede VXL on pavement and then hit full reverse. The truck then made a high pitched grinding noise. Motor is responding fine, steering fine, thinking its a gear box of sorts. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Vince
    If everything was fine after the abrupt stop I wouldn't worry about it. If it is sounding different all the time now may have to do some exploratory surgery... At wot going to full brake it can make a high pitch grinding type of noise, depending on gearing that noise can be really noticeable to not even think about it....
    Last edited by Briber; 01-01-2016 at 07:02 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Qualifier
    99% sure it's the plastic spur gear. This is basically a built in weak link to keep from damaging the motor. Take off the spur gear cover behind the motor and check the teeth on it, most likely they will be smoothed out.

Quote Originally Posted by fls4 View Post
    99% sure it's the plastic spur gear. This is basically a built in weak link to keep from damaging the motor. Take off the spur gear cover behind the motor and check the teeth on it, most likely they will be smoothed out.
    Post back here if this is the case. I'm not arguing against it being possible but I'd be pretty disappointed if Trx designed them that bad so one or even many abrupt stops would cause that damage. They've got those programmed to slam from forward to reverse to self-right itself. So slamming on breaks or straight in to reverse is going to strip spur? Plus I thought vxl came with metal spur, am I wrong on that? Isn't or shouldn't the weak link be the slipper instead of busting parts? I do appreciate the suggestion to check it out though just to make sure!
    Last edited by Briber; 01-02-2016 at 12:30 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Post back here if this is the case. I'm not arguing against it being possible but I'd be pretty disappointed if Trx designed them that bad so one or even many abrupt stops would cause that damage. They've got those programmed to slam from forward to reverse to self-right itself. So slamming on breaks or straight in to reverse is going to strip spur? Plus I thought vxl came with metal spur, am I wrong on that? Isn't or shouldn't the weak link be the slipper instead of busting parts? I do appreciate the suggestion to check it out though just to make sure!
    All traxxas models comes with plastic spur gears (attached to slipper). The pinion gear is metal on all models. And I would have to agree with the abrupt stopping part messing one up. I don't now how many times my boys would go in reverse then slam on full throttle to get it to wheelie due to poor traction road and stock tires didn't grip all that well.
    I think a video would help out a lot to get an idea of this noise the op is hearing and describing.

Agreed. Thanks for the info.