RC Racer

Really slow stampede 4x4 VXL

So I got my GPS unit hooked up and found that my Stampede 4X4 VXL is REALLY slow!! Top speed on LiPO is 20 MPH!! I've checked gear mesh and it seems fine, I checked the wheels and they weren't over tightened, I checked the diffs and the wheels spin opposite directions as I was told they would when they are fine.

This truck is barely a few weeks old and up until the last time I ran it it was really fast.

RC Qualifier
    Telemetry GPS?
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Qualifier
    Make sure you arent in training mode, the p4de should be able to do 20+ easy right out of the box with the nimh.

Quote Originally Posted by WH1_T-type View Post
    So I got my GPS unit hooked up and found that my Stampede 4X4 VXL is REALLY slow!! Top speed on LiPO is 20 MPH!! I've checked gear mesh and it seems fine, I checked the wheels and they weren't over tightened, I checked the diffs and the wheels spin opposite directions as I was told they would when they are fine.

This truck is barely a few weeks old and up until the last time I ran it it was really fast.
    Is it in training mode? Press ez set button on ESC and hold until you get 1 red flash this is normal mode. 2 red flashes are race mode where reverse is disabled. 3 red flashes are training mode where you only get 50% of normal. Just release button when desired mode is reached.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-02-2016 at 12:16 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    Ok, verified that it isn't in training mode...or at least it isn't now...it gets up to 27mph with a 2S lipo. This is the brushless model and i thought it was a LOT faster then this!!

and this is using the traxxas telemetry GPS unit that mounts in the telemetry expander.

RC Racer
    So looking at the specs I should be seeing speeds of over 30mph with a lipo since with stock gearing and the stock nimh traxxas rates the brushless as over 30mph. I'll check gear mesh again tomorrow as well as trying with a different battery.

i did try with both lipo and nimh before i posted before and both had the same top speed so i think that training mode was on.

RC Qualifier
    I saw a 32 mph with my VXL in stock form rather I was using the supplied NiMH or my 2s 65c lipo. My GPS app is usually dead on in a vehicle but who knows if it is 100% accurate all the time. You are still using the stock 11 tooth pinion right?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WH1_T-type View Post
    So looking at the specs I should be seeing speeds of over 30mph with a lipo since with stock gearing and the stock nimh traxxas rates the brushless as over 30mph. I'll check gear mesh again tomorrow as well as trying with a different battery.

i did try with both lipo and nimh before i posted before and both had the same top speed so i think that training mode was on.
    My son-in-law has a new Stampede 4x4 VXL with GPS. I'll ask him today what speeds he's getting. On my Sash 4x4 TSM OBA with GPS, I get 30-33 mph. When I changed from 13 tooth pinion to 18 tooth, the speed increased about 10 mph. When you change pinions, watch your temps. On pavement I was OK, in grass it went too high.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

I have a Stampede 4x4 vxl tsm

Stock its OK fast with 7c nimh 8.4v rated 30+ mph
    Ive got a traxxas 8c nimh 9.6v rated 40+ mph and with this batteri its even faster with more power. Highly recommended.

Ive orderd a lipo 3s , waiting for it.

Must be something wrong with you're car.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    I have a Stampede 4x4 vxl tsm

Stock its OK fast with 7c nimh 8.4v rated 30+ mph
    Ive got a traxxas 8c nimh 9.6v rated 40+ mph and with this batteri its even faster with more power. Highly recommended.

Ive orderd a lipo 3s , waiting for it.

Must be something wrong with you're car.
    Are your speeds measured by GPS?
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    Are your speeds measured by GPS?
    No sorry forgot to write that I didn't measure speed, but it goes fast.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    No sorry forgot to write that I didn't measure speed, but it goes fast.
    Ummmm....mine SEEMS fast as well. I'm talking the actual measured speed.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    I saw a 32 mph with my VXL in stock form rather I was using the supplied NiMH or my 2s 65c lipo. My GPS app is usually dead on in a vehicle but who knows if it is 100% accurate all the time. You are still using the stock 11 tooth pinion right?
    I am using the stock pinion. Besides adding fans, telemetry, and the threaded GTR shocks the truck is stock