X-MAXX Gearing Chart!!

For informational purposes, this is the X-MAXX Gearing Compatibility Chart and quotes from manual on gearing and temperatures.

Supported gearing chart left side page 26 in manual.

Lower your gear ratio. Installing a smaller pinion or larger spur gear
    will lower your gear ratio, causing less power draw from the motor
    and battery, and reducing overall operating temperatures.

Gearing
    One of the more significant advantages to your model’s transmission is the wide range of available gear ratios. Changing the gearing allows you to fine tune the speed of the model and control the temperatures of the battery pack and motor. Use a lower gear ratio (numerically larger) to reduce current draw and temperatures. Use
    a higher gear (numerically lower) to increase top speed.

When using higher gear ratios, it is important to monitor the temperatures of the battery, motor, and speed control. If the battery is extremely hot (150F) and/or the motor is too hot to touch (200F), your model is probably over-geared and drawing too much current. This temperature test assumes that the model is close to factory stock weight and operates freely with no excessive friction, dragging, or binding, and the battery is fully charged and in good condition. Note: If not using the pin system, check and adjust gear mesh if a spur and/or pinion gear is changed.
    This model is equipped with a Velineon 1600XL brushless motor. The gear combination that comes stock on each model provides good overall acceleration and top speed. If high-speed gearing is used, it is not recommended for off-road or repetitive starting and stopping.

RC Competitor
    This gearing chart is almost useless when you consider the top speed recommended 4s is slightly slower than out the box and that gearing down is they only thing the chart is good for besides it telling you not to go over stock gearing.

This chart is actually quite informative, it shows the wide range this truck has with gearing, all the orange is good for 4s and 6s, and the top speed gearing for 6s is a 3.0 gear ratio.

RC Competitor
    im running a 21/46 bashing around in the dirt and have not seen heat issues.. granted its very cold outside right now... and i do think i'll be going back more "stock" soon.. but it sure is quick!

RC Qualifier
    anyone try 22/50 gearing? There's a guy on YouTube running that setup and he's saying he has no heat issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2FBZS47ucU

I'm running 18/54 and mine heats up to 160f pretty quick.

I hear that the thermal shutdown kicks in well above 200f, like 245f, at least for the esc.

RC Competitor
    I had to test the heat thing on mine tonight. After about 10min of solid full throttle runs the motor was between 90-100deg, batteries around 70deg. And esc was sub 70... Granted it was about 40deg outside... At 46/21 it will still full flip with a blip at speed.... And do not hit the self right button with this setup. It insta flipped and sounded like a bomb going off.

RC Competitor
    it's informative if you knew nothing about gearing already, it's useless for the truck unless you want to max 4s out and still be under the speed of stock setup on 6s.People are catching on fires on stock setup so it doesn't really help. Sure
    Last edited by SPOOk84; 01-02-2016 at 11:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    It's crazy to me that letting the motor and/or esc get that hot is not going to do long term damage.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    It's crazy to me that letting the motor and/or esc get that hot is not going to do long term damage.
    are you running a fan? and how is your acceleration?

RC Competitor
    What is the disadvantage or potential problems using 2 3s 5000mah for 18/54 combo. I currently only stocked up on 4 Traxxas 3s 5000 mah lipos.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefroggyfrog View Post
    What is the disadvantage or potential problems using 2 3s 5000mah for 18/54 combo. I currently only stocked up on 4 Traxxas 3s 5000 mah lipos.
    that puts you at a yellow in the chart. The mah of 5000 and that gearing may give you shorter than desirable run times.

As for potential heating issues on that gearing.... I am unsure and will defer to others who are more experienced to answer.

RC Competitor
    I see the chart states recommendation of 6400+ mah packs. So if I run two packs together for 10000 mah I'm good to go? And if so, is there such an attachment available by traxxas or anyone else?

EDIT: Part # 3064x :-)
    Last edited by Icefroggyfrog; 01-10-2016 at 11:52 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    OK, got the X Maxx on order, hoping it will be here early next week or so. Excuse me for the dumb or question, I've ordered traxxas 5000mah 3s x 2. what will be the top speed as is out of the box and if I change the gear ratio what speeds will i get? don't get me wrong, just want to know more out of interest whilst running everything else stock, cheers

RC Racer
    So 18/50 is the way to go 6S General bashing for improved speed

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FatWheels View Post
    So 18/50 is the way to go 6S General bashing for improved speed
    Ive seen a lot of YouTubers and most people who run it on 8s run that gearing, and they have no issues whatsoever with the motor overheating or the esc, as far as Ive seen.

RC Racer
    So im running 37pinion and 50t spur.
    Hobbywing max5 and leopard 1340kv.
    No heat issues only thing is motor is very power hungry and i openly get 12-15min max out it using 5000mah.
    Im going to try 46T sour and 32/34T pinion when they arrive - should see an increase in speed and time