Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Recommended Upgrades/Mods for the X-Maxx

I thought we might start a thread and combine some of our knowledge about what can be done to the X-Maxx out of the box to make it better. Now I am not talking about dropping $1k into it just things people can do in general. So here is a few I have already did.

I heat up a nail to red hot and put four holes in my tires each hold is 90 from the other hole. I use a hot nail because it melts a hole in the tire and that way the tire will not fray over time from that hole. What this does is spins water out of the tire as you run the truck or you can put it on something like a cinder block and let it run at 10% throttle for a bit. Other people prefer to fill in the holes on the inside of the rim with silicon and just not let water get in there to begin with.

RC Qualifier
    The next mod I recommend right out of the box is to apply washers to your front mount. Myself and some other people have pulled that bracket through the body and cracked the body in the process. This was operator error on my part I did a lot of cart wheels and front flips when I first got the truck. You can probably get black spacers that fit better to it looks nicer I just used what I had on hand.

RC Racer
    That was the very first thing i did to my truck as i had a screw pull through.
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

RC Qualifier
    Since the shock caps were an early issue once I saw D-Hawk aluminum caps available I ordered a set for each of our X-Maxx. All in Marine Corps Red of course.

Just a note on installing the D-hawk you will notice on the first pic that the inner ring is brass colored. If you look at the shock cap they are brass on one side and red on the other. The brass inner ring must be facing towards the front of the truck on all 4 shocks or it will not line up correctly. Not sure if D-Hawk did this on purpose but if you face the red inner ring forward the shock pin will not slide though it.

Last edited by Phanes; 01-02-2016 at 06:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thumbs up!
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

Nice work.

RC Qualifier
    What happened to plastic caps.were leaking or just bashed them off.

RC Qualifier
    No the orginals were fine I just saw other people getting broken ones so I went ahead and upgraded them.

RC Racer
    Great thread Phanes. I am compiling a list of things to do and spare parts to order before mine gets delivered next week

RC Competitor
    Upgrade the esc. Mine like most on here started to have the over heat issue. I upgraded to a mamba monster 2 and the truck has been a lot better. I slivered the esc also to get it out of the "pit" in the chassis between the receiver and the motor. So it's in the wind so to speak and away from the motor that gets over a 150 degrees.

Next will probably be bearings. Mine have started to fall apart in the hubs. I had the dust cover come off on a couple days ago so it's only a matter of time before it seizes and falls apart.
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpiman74 View Post
    Upgrade the esc. Mine like most on here started to have the over heat issue. I upgraded to a mamba monster 2 and the truck has been a lot better. I slivered the esc also to get it out of the "pit" in the chassis between the receiver and the motor. So it's in the wind so to speak and away from the motor that gets over a 150 degrees.

Next will probably be bearings. Mine have started to fall apart in the hubs. I had the dust cover come off on a couple days ago so it's only a matter of time before it seizes and falls apart.
    Are you able to run cc mamba max 2 in x maxx the esc and motor full setup or is it under powered for this truck sense its rated for 15 lbs vehicles?

Why the max 2 & not the 2028 XL X?

The 2028 esc & motor will work correct? Cause that's the direction I'm leaning.

Is it possible to have a big front bumper that protect both front tires from impact?

RC Qualifier
    The next upgrade I just did was taping the body. I mean lets be real we know the bodies will not last forever but this is the definite weak point in this body especially after some cartwheels and flips. My wife and son are not cracked yet I will probably cover that entire back area in tape/shoe goo.

RC Enthusiast
    Phanes this is great thread, appreciate your advice.

On the shoe glue ... are you just laying a thin coat of shoe glue on the body and then mashing the wall fabric into it and letting it sit ? Thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post

On the shoe glue ... are you just laying a thin coat of shoe glue on the body and then mashing the wall fabric into it and letting it sit ? Thanks !!!
    Also interested in the reply to this, as preventative task for new stock body.

RC Competitor
    typically you lay the fiba tape down first get it where you want.. spit on your finger and rub a thin layer of shoo goo in... keep in mind if you need to "fill" a crack.. cover the outside with scotch tape and fill with shoo goo from the inside.. let it dry and remove the tape.. and anytime you see a tear starting goo it... heck i have so much goo on my truck the body is almost all goo... i swear my truck picks up speed when upside down...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post

I did a little of both and I found out putting a thin layer of shoe goo down then mashing the fiber tape onto it worked best for me. Then I put another layer of shoe goo on top of the tape. I think either method would work fine. From my experience I would recommend covering every 90 angle on the back area as well as that cross section you see I covered.

RC Racer
    XMaxx/EMaxx/ERevo/Summit/Slash 4x4/Revo 3.3/Bandit

RC Competitor
    Yep. Bought the big fan. It's en route.
    Pede Xmaxx Merv 1/18 Rally Blast Spartan M41 Aton

RC Enthusiast
    I think i will disassemble my truck when it arrives, mount stainless steel screws and Loctite it all. Also check the silicone oil in all diffs.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbaumann View Post
    I think i will disassemble my truck when it arrives, mount stainless steel screws and Loctite it all. Also check the silicone oil in all diffs.
    Sounds like fun! Would be cool to do an X-MAXX party doing this, if we were all closer.

Where are you getting stainless steel screws? There was a pack on ebay, but a guy reviewed it after receiving it, and it totally didn't have the needed screws, too much of others... waste of cash.

Where you getting yours?

*Check your diff. fluid
    *Assure pinion gear is lined up with main gear
    *Top off shock oil level (or replace with 50 weight oil)

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Sounds like fun! Would be cool to do an X-MAXX party doing this, if we were all closer.

Where are you getting stainless steel screws? There was a pack on ebay, but a guy reviewed it after receiving it, and it totally didn't have the needed screws, too much of others... waste of cash.

Where you getting yours?
    Ha ha ha I agree on the X-Maxx party. Traxxas needs to host an event for new X-Maxx's or something...

I personally don't recommend stainless steel screws. Most of them are softer than steel, and I've seen more bent, sheared off, stripped out stainless steel screws than I can count.

If you're only getting them to stop screw rust, I Q-tip with WD-40 works for me every 4-5 runs.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Enthusiast

Where you getting yours?

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...oducts_id/5420
    There you have it.

hehe yeah a party would be nice.. welcome to Sweden =)

X-MAXX party!

Wow, that's expensive for screws and bolts. Didn't know ss maybe weaker.

RC Enthusiast
    There's nothing with this car or accessory that is cheap

RC Qualifier
    Here is the Castle 2028 shroud. This is totally unmodified you just clip it right onto the engine. No need to zip tie it or anything. If you want a snugger fit you can dremel out some ribs from the inside of the shroud and it will go down 100%

RC Racer
    Great info guys. Mine will he hopefully coming in tomorrow and I plan on slowly making these mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Supamegaman View Post
    Great info guys. Mine will he hopefully coming in tomorrow and I plan on slowly making these mods.
    When mine comes in (no idea when - still on pre-order waiting... yeah), I plan on making some small mod-improvements also. I will doing one at a time after I run it for a while completely stock. I don't like to do too many changes at once.

RC Racer
    Stupid question... Does the ESC come with a fan?

UPDATE: ON ESC - YES THERE IS A FAN

On the MOTOR, stock, No. But it also does not need a fan for stock configuration and stock gearing. Having a fan on the stock configuration does help keep the motor in good health, and gearing up a fan is highly recommended.

Disclaimer: This is my understanding so far!
    Last edited by jeteffect; 01-06-2016 at 11:35 AM.

RC Racer
    When mine comes in (no idea when - still on pre-order waiting... yeah), I plan on making some small mod-improvements also. I will doing one at a time after I run it for a while completely stock. I don't like to do too many changes at once.
    Same here. I ordered mine from a hobby shop in Florida and I live in Washington. I will probably start off with the shoe good and drywall tape since I can go to a local store and get those cheap and easy.

RC Qualifier
    There is a fan on the ESC

RC Racer
    Stock, No. But it also does not need a fan for stock configuration and stock gearing. Having a fan on the stock configuration does help keep the motor in good health, and gearing up a fan is highly recommended.

Disclaimer: This is my understanding so far!
    People are saying the temps are too high. HPIMAN74 stated that he got the MM2 esc because the stock overheats. I have the E-Maxx BL and the esc has a fan on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phanes View Post
    There is a fan on the ESC
    To add to Phanes comment.
    When you power up the truck you will hear the fan running in the esc.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbar223 View Post
    To add to Phanes comment.
    When you power up the truck you will hear the fan running in the esc.
    I understand the ESC cooling fan that comes stock, should be running all the time.

If it does not it should be checked - there has been a few cases reported here that the wires from ESC into receiver box has been pinched/cut from factory. A good thing to keep in mind and check.

RC Qualifier
    To answer a question about the tires. Here is a drawing of where I put the holes. As for the hole location I do it right along the middle of the tire avoiding going through tread.

Thanks Planes. Good note on not going through the threads.

Good point jetteffect.
    Phanes, can you post a link in your post for the Castle dual fan? I know it's in another post somewhere, but this is the thread I will be coming to for reference. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast