Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Question Should I cancel my X-Maxx order? Fire & heat problems?

I have one on order-Blue ofcourse...with the problems seen on here with esc & heat issues. I plan on bashing but want to be fast too. Fans? What upgrades or changes to keep from regretting this truck. Plan on running 3s lipos 8000mah 35c. Any help or advice please.. thanks all!

RC Competitor
    Good question. ..you'll be putting fans on a 850.00 truck to keep it from burning up no doubt about it. ..then id say you be dumping other 400 in a new motor and esc down the line plus all the aftermarket parts to fix all the week points on this truck without a doubt

I wouldn't cancel. There's a long, long waiting list. Any truck has issues, as does the X-Maxx does a few. The few known issues are easy to fix, and other wise there's upgrades coming very soon. If you stick with stock gearing I wouldn't worry about heat issues, the only time I would worry about that is if you geared the truck up higher, then I would put the Castle fan on the motor.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I wouldn't cancel. There's a long, long waiting list. Any truck has issues, as does the X-Maxx does a few. The few known issues are easy to fix, and other wise there's upgrades coming very soon. If you stick with stock gearing I wouldn't worry about heat issues, the only time I would worry about that is if you geared the truck up higher, then I would put the Castle fan on the motor.

I ordered some of those computer fans. Is the Castle fan a better option?

May I ask which fan is being used? Link or part number please?

You can leave it bone stock, as many have done and have loads of fun. If by chance something breaks and you belive it not to be your fault call traxxas for warranty.

I bought the truck for my wife, it broke the second day we used it. Its been down for about 8 days now and replacement parts are in the mail .

If you like bashing you will love it. It is a very capable beast and is tons of fun.
    The issues that you read about are few and far between and covered under warrenty.

Lots of things to love about the truck.

I didn't fun any more fans on the ESC, there's no real need unless you're running really high gearing. The fan I use I put on the motor is Castle CSE011-0019-00. IN the start of this thread I talk about it.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...r-X-Maxx-today

RC Qualifier
    You guys are trying so hard to defend the faulty esc, you all put the blame on one owner who decided to play with gearing on his. I saw the replies on his topic all saying he weakened his esc when he did his speedruns.
    Remember, when his esc caught fire he was geared 16/48.

What about the others that caught fire while running stock gearing ? Starting by the one we saw who took time filming the whole thing instead of hurrying up to unplug his lipos ? What about the fact that the majority of esc fires seem to start from the BEC's side on the esc ? What about the problems with the A-arms, the leaky shocks, the rear bumpers ?

Believe me, I'm a Traxxas fan. I've put tons of TLC into my E-Revo brushless and didn't mind the known issues i.e breaking drive axles, fragile bulkheads, the weak A-arms and a diff ( I'm lucky to have changed only one ) but the list is starting the get longer and longer with the X-Maxx. I wanted this truck to perform well so much, so we could shut the naysayers always bashing on Traxxas saying our rigs aren't up to par...

I was waiting for the beast to come out so I can see how it performed and buy one cause I loved it, its looks, its size, from the pics and descriptions it seemed that it was going to be a winner, but now I'm gonna wait it out and see.

RC Qualifier
    I'd cancel I'd rather wait 6 months and see it fixed, given that's me I love traxxas but this trucks had me excited when I first got an email but id wait. I just wish traxxas would have put re branded castle in it so you could program it. As for the waiting list I doubt it will be long as it's the holidays traxxas employes are taking off give it a month you'll see them everywhere

RC poster
    I agree speed runs n gearing is inviting heat. Wolf your 30mm fans n I'd go with a 60x60..it looks like the castle dual is good. The lights n stuff Wolf you got a sweet rig. I will run onyx 3s 8000 or 5000. There is alot of truck to power. All good info!!! Thanks guys

You guys are trying so hard to defend the faulty esc, you all put the blame on one owner who decided to play with gearing on his. I saw the replies on his topic all saying he weakened his esc when he did his speedruns.

What about the others that caught fire while running stock gearing ? Starting by the one we saw who took time filming the whole thing instead of hurrying up to unplug his lipos ? What about the fact that the majority of esc fires seem to start from the BEC's side on the esc ? What about the problems with the A-arms, the leaky shocks, the rear bumpers ?
    He was geared 18/54, not 16/54 to be fair. The damage was done running the full 26/46 gearing. Regardless of ESC temp, running that high of gearing pulled some serious amps from the ESC, which most likely damaged it. I don't care how you put it, running that high of gearing regardless of temps is hard on a ESC, although we can't tell if it contributed to the ESC failure.

The leaky shocks fit themselves after a few runs, or you can buy the DK Racing aluminum lower shock bottoms if you don't want to wait to break the seals in. There's no real issues with A-Arms, other than them breaking like any other A-arm when people crash into things. Rear bumpers is only an issue with wheeling. The other issues can be traced to user inexperience, or error 90% of the time.

The only real reason why I would wait if anything is for the after market. It might take a few months for the after market to kick into full gear.

RC Racer
    He was geared 18/54, not 16/54 to be fair. The damage was done running the full 26/46 gearing. Regardless of ESC temp, running that high of gearing pulled some serious amps from the ESC, which most likely damaged it. I don't care how you put it, running that high of gearing regardless of temps is hard on a ESC, although we can't tell if it contributed to the ESC failure.

The leaky shocks fit themselves after a few runs, or you can buy the DK Racing aluminum lower shock bottoms if you don't want to wait to break the seals in. There's no real issues with A-Arms, other than them breaking like any other A-arm when people crash into things. Rear bumpers is only an issue with wheeling. The other issues can be traced to user inexperience, or error 90% of the time.

The only real reason why I would wait if anything is for the after market. It might take a few months for the after market to kick into full gear.
    Totally agree
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

RC Competitor
    I'd say buy it! You won't find a cooler eye drawing basher truck rtr out of the box that's as much of a beast as the Xmaxx. Sell off the esc or run it til it fails. That's what I did. I now run a 100.00 mamba monster 2 and so far it's been a big improvement but the stock one was fine as well until it crapped out.

I was talking to the guys at the lhs today and they all said the same thing ditch the traxxas motor and esc, if I'm running in 30 to 40 deg weather and the motor is around 160+/- then get rid of it too. When the heat of summer is here then that motor will fry. So castle is going to be my next motor. Again eBay will save me a few bucks on that. THAT has been my only issue though.

So yes 800.00 give or take is a lot for a kid to pay for a toy to just have to invest another 200.00 but let's face it this is no child's toy and adults have jobs just for stuff like this kind of hobby (and bills but who counts that?). So I'd say if you can afford the truck you can afford the add on's to make it what it should be.
    Last edited by Hpiman74; 01-02-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

RC Competitor
    just get it dude. half the fun is messing around with the truck. i had a blast putting on fans and wiring it, making it look neat. I'm still waiting on one more fan. This thing will not over heat.

RC Champion
    Personally I would wait a while and see if there are more problems with stock electronics or if it turns out to be just a few random issues.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    If I didn't read forums I would think this truck was perfect. Stop reading and try it for yourself. If there's major issues its warranteed , if there's small issues just fix em like any other rc vehicle. I love mine, when it breaks I'll fix it , nothing's perfect. Parts will be available soon enough.
    Its a fun truck with unrivaled size. If you want something like this there is nothing else on the market like it.

RC poster
    I would still get it. I love mine. Just scale your bash obstacles to the truck size and you will be fine. I you go bigger any rc truck is going to break something.

I have one in pre order, I've been reading all about the issues, and I a, in it for the long haul ...... For now.

I am staying on the pre order list!

RC Racer
    Would you guys pay an extra $40 to get an Xmaxx this coming Wednesday?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo1988 View Post
    Explain....

Depends, how much is $40 being added to?

How long before it's not offered with "FREE SHIPPING" @ the current price?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Imprez View Post

Believe me, I'm a Traxxas fan. I've put tons of TLC into my E-Revo brushless and didn't mind the known issues i.e breaking drive axles, fragile bulkheads, the weak A-arms and a diff ( I'm lucky to have changed only one ) but the list is starting the get longer and longer with the X-Maxx. I wanted this truck to perform well so much, so we could shut the naysayers always bashing on Traxxas saying our rigs aren't up to par...

I was waiting for the beast to come out so I can see how it performed and buy one cause I loved it, its looks, its size, from the pics and descriptions it seemed that it was going to be a winner, but now I'm gonna wait it out and see.
    I agree.
    There is a new thread about simply turning it on and the electronics started smoking.
    While Traxxas will warranty the issues,the problems posted here are a small fraction of the thousands sold,some will say over 10,000 sold. I am really curious as to how many people have had electrical problems that have not joined this forum to write about it. Most people don't join company forums after buying a product.
    There is a common theme going on. Buy the truck,you need two batteries and a charger,that's about $1000. You will very likely need new fans to keep it cool,more money. You will probably need to change the ESC and motor,MORE money.
    That is simply not acceptable especially for the high initial investment.
    I really want to see a presence from Traxxas,they can't be blind to their $800 plus truck needing electrical upgrades so it doesn't overheat...and burn.
    I may seem harsh but how harsh is it to the person that spends a hefty house payment for this truck and have it fail in smoke or fire?

RC Competitor
    Considering I spent 700+ building my 1/10 scale associated b44.3 buggy WITHOUT including the cost for the radio, I'd say the xmaxx is a deal no matter what YOU chose to upgrade. I've broken my buggy 4 times in one race day (just yesterday) and I'm not calling them about their poorly built car and complaining about how much it costs..... Fix it or sell it. Thats just my opinion. BTW, I recall the mamba esc's catching on fire at a far higher rate when they first came out with the MMM combo.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpickle View Post
    I agree.
    There is a new thread about simply turning it on and the electronics started smoking.
    While Traxxas will warranty the issues,the problems posted here are a small fraction of the thousands sold,some will say over 10,000 sold. I am really curious as to how many people have had electrical problems that have not joined this forum to write about it. Most people don't join company forums after buying a product.
    There is a common theme going on. Buy the truck,you need two batteries and a charger,that's about $1000. You will very likely need new fans to keep it cool,more money. You will probably need to change the ESC and motor,MORE money.
    That is simply not acceptable especially for the high initial investment.
    I really want to see a presence from Traxxas,they can't be blind to their $800 plus truck needing electrical upgrades so it doesn't overheat...and burn.
    I may seem harsh but how harsh is it to the person that spends a hefty house payment for this truck and have it fail in smoke or fire?
    Id total agree

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoXlvr View Post
    Considering I spent 700+ building my 1/10 scale associated b44.3 buggy WITHOUT including the cost for the radio, I'd say the xmaxx is a deal no matter what YOU chose to upgrade. I've broken my buggy 4 times in one race day (just yesterday) and I'm not calling them about their poorly built car and complaining about how much it costs..... Fix it or sell it. Thats just my opinion. BTW, I recall the mamba esc's catching on fire at a far higher rate when they first came out with the MMM combo.
    It doesn't make it ok bro...
    Last edited by David1970; 01-03-2016 at 08:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by David1970 View Post
    It didn't make it ok bro...
    I agree with that. However, I'd see more of a complaint if Traxxas wasn't doing anything about it. They are making it right. We bought the first of a brand spanking new design. Something or some things are bound to not be right

Quote Originally Posted by powerpickle View Post
    I agree.
    While Traxxas will warranty the issues... Yes, so far they have taken care of all reported issues, no?

That is simply not acceptable especially for the high initial investment. This seems to be buyer's remorse talking. There will always be some failures, no matter what the price point.
    I really want to see a presence from Traxxas,they can't be blind to their $800 plus truck needing electrical upgrades so it doesn't overheat...and burn. Again, what problems has Traxxas not taken care of, and quickly? HAve you somehow missed the direct interaction with Traxxas employees? I haven't.
    I hate downtime, but if it is too harsh to have a TOY out of commission for a week or even two while new parts are sent free of charge, then perhaps that $800 would have been better spent on a house payment. (Geez, I wish mine was close to that!) No matter what the price of the product, there are always people opining that "it shouldn't break since I paid $250/$500/$800/$1200 for it" like that has anything to do with reality. Nobody but nobody likes the fact that there are failures, least of all Traxxas. But it is a brand new product and even if it wasn't failures still occur. The focus should be on the resolution of those mishaps.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I have to give Traxxas big props for being pro-active with the consumers that are having issues.
    They've been replacing failing parts left and right in great fashion, big thumbs up for that.

My question is what percentage is ok as far as defects go ? 1 out of 50 ?
    Aarma also had issues with their ESCs and they ended up replacing a bunch, and they've fixed the faulty design shortly after and came out with a new unit.

Will Traxxas come up with a solution in the near future if those failing ESCs aren't just a fluke and a bad batch ?
    I truly hope so cause I want to get my hands on an X-Maxx in the future, but I'll sit and wait a bit.

I have to give Traxxas big props for being pro-active with the consumers that are having issues.
    They've been replacing failing parts left and right in great fashion, big thumbs up for that.

Aarma also had issues with their ESCs and they ended up replacing a bunch, and they've fixed the faulty design shortly after and came out with a new unit.

Will Traxxas come up with a solution in the near future if those failing ESCs aren't just a fluke and a bad batch ?
    I truly hope so cause I want to get my hands on an X-Maxx in the future, but I'll sit and wait a bit.
    Have you heard of the Spartan?
    Would you be content if you were given a number? Would it change the situation of those who did or did not experience a fault? Again, I think focus has been lost here.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I agree with the first part, I'm included in the receiving parts group.

I'm can't say for sure, that's up to Traxxas. While on this subject, Arrma still hasn't fully fixed their issues. 95% of every Arrma truck we sell from them at my LHS comes back in with a motor/ESC failure within a week. Let's be glad that Traxxas can make a better ESC then they do.

If they do change anything, odds are they won't say anything publicly unless the bad ESC's get worse. If they announce that they fixed the issue, and that's saying if there is an issue with them, everyone that didn't buy one with a "fixed" ESC would demand a new one, costing tons of money to Traxxas. Hope that makes sense.

I doubt it's bad enough that they will recall them, but then again I'm not Traxxas so who knows.

RC Champion
    He was geared 18/54, not 16/54 to be fair. The damage was done running the full 26/46 gearing.
    How do you know? I for one would love to know how you determined that? Or is this more guess work like the number of xmaxx sold was?

Personally, I would cancel and wait. The "long long wait list, is almost certain to be even more guess work as well. Not that it matters. You want a truck that's reliable especially with well over 1k invested when you take batteries into account.
    Last edited by 2IS; 01-03-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Yes, it help to have the approximate numbers of customers experiencing major/fire/esc failure vs not.

Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    How do you know? I for one would love to know how you determined that? Or is this more guess work like the number of xmaxx sold was?

Personally, I would cancel and wait. The "long long wait list, is almost certain to be even more guess work as well. Not that it matters. You want a truck that's reliable especially with well over 1k invested when you take batteries into account.
    I'll quote what I said earlier.

Regardless of ESC temp, running that high of gearing pulled some serious amps from the ESC, which most likely damaged it. I don't care how you put it, running that high of gearing regardless of temps is hard on a ESC
    Think of it like this. It's like people that over clock a computer CPU. You can blow the CPU by pulling serious amps from it, even though its temperature is below zero being cooled in liquid nitrogen. The high temps really don't help, but it's the ESC pulling hard amps that does. You can "cook" a circuit board by running it really hard, but it won't kill it at first, since it's damaged. It becomes a ticking bomb until something causes it to fail since it's already weakened. I don't know a good way to explain it, but think of it like this. It's like running a hose at a really high pressure, higher than what it's rated for. It can damage or stretch the hose out, causing it to fail later at another high stress moment.

I explained the "10,000" sold in another thread, it's a very well educated guess. Nothing more. I'll leave it at that since it caused quite a bit of arguing and fighting.

I don't know why the ESC failed. I'm not saying it was 100% because of the 26/46 gearing ran through it, I'm saying that high of gearing probably caused damage to the ESC. Why it failed when it did is beyond me. Hope this makes sense.

I'm not looking to agree or cause any issues. I'm just explaining what I said, and why I said it.

There are guys posting same issues with stock gearing so...please
    That's a good point. I'm not saying every ESC failure is user error. There might be a good reason why they are failing. It might be a bad batch, faulty programming, etc. Only Traxxas knows. I'm only explaining why think the one ESC failed.

I"ll bow out here. I see that this isn't going anywhere productive, and I've made my point I wanted to get across.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-03-2016 at 09:47 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post

Totally agree again

RC Competitor
    There are guys posting same issues with stock gearing so...please

RC poster
    So i got the tornado fans and castle c20. I should be ok. Where is the best place to wire them? I would have my onyx balance plugs to use. Any set up work best?

Traxxas isnt an ESC manufacturer, they design and sell RC trucks.

If the ESC was burning due to a design flaw then it would be happing on a very large percentage of Xmaxxs

If the ESC was burning up due to a manufacturer not having good quality control or inadequate tolerance testing then the issues would be few and far between.

Some electronics are hard to test and without real world testing with full loads and conditions. Sometimes a bad board can sneak through.

Its how a company responds to these inevitable warranty issues that concerns me.

Hopfully the people needlessly upgrading the esc and motor start selling them online for cheap, i wouldnt mind buting a used one dropping it in my stampede

RC Racer
    Ok the second part to my first question is I got a Xmaxx ordered for $800 free shipping. But I found one for $840 shipped. Do you think it's a good idea to get one right now and worth paying the extra $40 to not wait til next round ship.

RC Competitor
    Ok the second part to my first question is I got a Xmaxx ordered for $800 free shipping. But I found one for $840 shipped. Do you think it's a good idea to get one right now and worth paying the extra $40 to not wait til next round ship.
    The answer to that is..... YES! I spent an extra 80 getting mine (paying taxes locally vs getting it online). When is the last time you could go have this much fun for an extra 40 bucks? NEVA!!!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Traxxas isnt an ESC manufacturer, they design and sell RC trucks.

If the ESC was burning due to a design flaw then it would be happing on a very large percentage of Xmaxxs

If the ESC was burning up due to a manufacturer not having good quality control or inadequate tolerance testing then the issues would be few and far between.

Some electronics are hard to test and without real world testing with full loads and conditions. Sometimes a bad board can sneak through.

Its how a company responds to these inevitable warranty issues that concerns me.

Hopfully the people needlessly upgrading the esc and motor start selling them online for cheap, i wouldnt mind buting a used one dropping it in my stampede
    I agree. Besides, did anyone read the box? It says (not in exact words) that they reserve the right to make changes to the vehicle at any time so the picture on the box and whats in the manual my not be EXACT! This tells me, they intend to have to make changes somewhere down the line. Im OK with that!

RC poster
    Im in same boat. Orderd thru Jegs. Email today shows delivery Wednesday. Be patient and read up on the forums. There are some HUGE input from a group of experienced people. I have looked at almost every post on the X maxx..so dream of what you could buy to add for $40 ....some led light bar...thats my next plan. Vanquish like Wolfslash had done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast