Thread: Burned up 550t

RC Racer

Burned up 550t

I've had my truck for about a month and a half now, no major mods proline body, adj. mounting kit. Replaced cheap tiny tierods with bigger ones from vxl. I run a traxxas 5800mAw 2c lipo and I also have 2 NiMH 7 cell. Took it out this morning threw a NiMH in it and drove around for about 5 min. I got stuck so I went and got it out it went about 5 feet and smoke was pouring out of it. I ran over unhooked battery and got top off motor was not overly hot but definitely toast. Is this common for motors to fail this fast?I have ran it a lot probably 100 packs or so. Now the good news is I ordered the traxxas brushless motor and esc combo a couple days ago. I know I need to change my pinion, I was thinking someplace around a 13-15 tooth. I'm not in it for speed I like driving around in woods and bashing... I've read a couple threads here on the matter and know I will need a drive shaft and the diffs are different I'm keeping the ones in it till they break as I just went thru it and replaces a couple things. I have a castle fan also I plan to use on esc to keep heat down. Drive shafts... there are a lot of aftermarket ones, I would like some suggestions and would like to gear from others who have done this conversion and their experiances.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I didn't have to much problems with stock shafts on 2s. If 2s is all you plan on using I would suggest something light for driveshafts like the teknos or traxxas steal splined. This way you don't out to mush stress in the drive line and motor. The Mips are to heavy for the traxxas brushless 3500. Plus there's less maintance with the other 2 over the Mips.

I would suggest 11-15t pinion. Vxl brushless is 11t pinion if I remember correctly. I have a 18t and its not so good at bashing or jumping, that or higher is for speed really, imo. My diff's have been fine but I upgraded to MIP drives, they are pretty beefy. I was on NiMH batts with my castle brushless motor and was tired of breaking stock driveshafts. I jump a lot and bash pretty hard. Just watch temps don't go over 150 on either ESC or motor. If you do gear down. The 550t motor is sensitive to the environment. If not broken in correctly, ran incorrectly or don't rinse motor keeping it clean, the brushes will wear prematurely. Dust and mud sediment will wear brushes. Brushed motors dont like heavy loads like reverse to instant forward or wot from stops. I burnt up brushed motor within first month as well, before I went brushless.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-03-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Qualifier
    I have both the mip, and teknos.. the teknos have been on my p4de for about a year now and have been perfect. I have the 2400kv castle motor and run it on 3s mostly, but sometimes 4s.

RC Racer
    Update... I emailed traxxas the details of my experiance and they are sending me a replacement 550. Awesome customer service. Thanks for the advice... I installed the new brushless system this mornin and a 13 tooth pinion I also picked up stock drive shafts all the way around to replace ones I will certainly break. I know mip is better I don't want to be replacing differential ect. I would rather break the drive shafts for the time being. Thanks again for your advice everyone.
    Last edited by Drty420; 01-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drty420 View Post
    Update... I emailed traxxas the details of my experiance and they are sending me a replacement 550. Awesome customer service. Thanks for the advice... I installed the new brushless system this mornin and a 13 tooth pinion I also picked up stock drive shafts all the way around to replace ones I will certainly break. I know mip is better I don't want to be replacing differential ect. I would rather break the drive shafts for the time being. Thanks again for your advice everyone.
    Trx customer service FTW! I've even had to send my truck to them. It was a quick turn around and they fixed me up perfectly.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...