Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RC poster

Cool Going lipo, recommendations?

hey guys, i have a cc sv3 4800kv and im finally switching over to lipo- 2s 25c 4000mah and a 2500mah, any suggestions?
    Last edited by cheap4rc; 01-03-2016 at 07:45 PM.

RC Champion
    Why? The stampede 4x4 fits 5000mah. Get a 5000mah 25C...

Go 5000mah
    If it cant be broke, I'll break it.

RC poster
    I picked up a couple of SMC 5000mah 2S's that have been working great.

Question here:
    Is the mah in direct correlation to the size?
    I was looking at this battery:

Will it fit in our stampede? I've seen 10000 mah batts will those fit? How do you know if a battery is the correct dimensions for the vehicle?
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Question here:
    Is the mah in direct correlation to the size?
    I was looking at this battery:

Will it fit in our stampede? I've seen 10000 mah batts will those fit? How do you know if a battery is the correct dimensions for the vehicle?
    That battery will fit. I ran smc 6500 3s in my pede.
    Battery tray dimensions are 142mm x 48.5mm x 23mm and 25mm. You can run taller batteries but need the extender

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by cheap4rc View Post
    hey guys, i have a cc sv3 4800kv and im finally switching over to lipo- 2s 25c 4000mah and a 2500mah, any suggestions?
    I love Castle Creations products but the system you have in your Stampede 4x4 is underpowered in my experience/opinion. The SMC brand is excellent in my experience/opinion. I would get the 5000mAh packs because they are a better value.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I love SPC batteries.... I would not run a 10000 mah battery due to the weight

there are basically 2 sizes of standard lipos, the 145mm length stampede 2wd and 4wd, and the longer ones for the slash 2/4wd and e-revo

I run a 6500 mah battery in mine, I do have the battery expansion kit though, as that battery is taller than the stock size can accomodate

Can you run truck with nimh battery and have low voltage detection enabled?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Can you run truck with nimh battery and have low voltage detection enabled?

physically, yes, but for only a short time..... as the pack starts losing voltage immediately and keeps losing it until it is completely dumped, it will give you a false low voltage reading. the nimh will drop lower under load than a lipo would....

if you are running nimh, don't run it with lipo mode enabled

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    physically, yes, but for only a short time..... as the pack starts losing voltage immediately and keeps losing it until it is completely dumped, it will give you a false low voltage reading. the nimh will drop lower under load than a lipo would....

if you are running nimh, don't run it with lipo mode enabled
    So if you switch between lipo and nimh you need to change mode everytime manually?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    So if you switch between lipo and nimh you need to change mode everytime manually?
    You don't HAVE to switch to lipo mode when using a lipo. What lipo mode does is enable LCV, where it detects low voltage and cuts you off. When disabled, it won't know your are reaching critical level on your lipo...

So, that said, do it at your own risk, know when to stop, get a lipo alarm, or continue switching between the 2 modes.

Spc's are fantastic, I use them all the time they really are a great product
    "Brakes? Who needs them? They only slow you down"

RC Competitor
    My Stampede VXL 4x4 wont fit 5000 Lipo's is there something I'm missing? I am very new to this

Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsumma84 View Post
    My Stampede VXL 4x4 wont fit 5000 Lipo's is there something I'm missing? I am very new to this
    if it doesn't fit because it is too tall, then you need to get the battery expansion kit....

if the batteyr is too long, you got the wrong battery, there are 2 different standard sizes, one that fits into the stampede, and one that fits into the slash. the slash and e-revo batteries are about an inch longer than the stampede batteries

I run a 6500 mah battery in my stampedes

RC Racer
    I run 5800 maw 2s lipo from traxxas with the I'd plug. I like them but they are pricey just picked up another one today it was 76.99

Traxxas LiPo packs are expensive but they are tip top quality. Gens Ace are expensive as well but, wow, do those suckers last. I have a pack that is over five years old and it still holds 99% of charge today!!!
    Obstacle Magnet

Whats best when charging a lipo?
    If I understand correctly my lipos have a 2c charge rating.

That times the 3300 or 3.3 = 6.6A charge rate. So I can charge at 6A if I want? (I've been charging at 1A though to be safe)

Also I have a Balance or Fast charge option. Should I always charge balanced? If so then why put the fast charge option on there? Or can I fast charge through the evening to run more then do a balance overnight?

On the store function is it necessary to use this or am okay going days with out battery usage and not being on charger? I have 2 batteries so should I alternate every couple of days on the store function?

RC Racer
    I would personally stick with charging a 3300 at no more than 3 amps. I like to charge below the max.
    You can fast charge on occasion without any issues but you should do a balance charge most of the time,I always balance charge but that's me.
    The storage function is for when you aren't going to use the lipo for a few days,Traxxas writes for more than 7 days.
    When the charger has gone through the storage function,there isn't anything you need to do except charge the battery when you want to use it. Storage mode will drain or charge each cell to a minimum of 3.7 volts,if you can choose a voltage that is what I would select. Traxxas chargers will put each cell at 3.85.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpickle View Post
    I would personally stick with charging a 3300 at no more than 3 amps. I like to charge below the max.
    You can fast charge on occasion without any issues but you should do a balance charge most of the time,I always balance charge but that's me.
    The storage function is for when you aren't going to use the lipo for a few days,Traxxas writes for more than 7 days.
    When the charger has gone through the storage function,there isn't anything you need to do except charge the battery when you want to use it. Storage mode will drain or charge each cell to a minimum of 3.7 volts,if you can choose a voltage that is what I would select. Traxxas chargers will put each cell at 3.85.
    I hope I didn't ruin my battery, it went down to low voltage on truck, pulled it, threw on charger, only went to half charge and charger timed out. The error say "Charger timed out without reaching full charge". Am I charging it to slow? Or did I run it to low?

RC Racer
    I hope I didn't ruin my battery, it went down to low voltage on truck, pulled it, threw on charger, only went to half charge and charger timed out. The error say "Charger timed out without reaching full charge". Am I charging it to slow? Or did I run it to low?
    I doubt it unless the battery got hot or puffed. Your esc will cut off at no less than 3.7 per cell unless you have an esc you can program it to go lower. If neither happened put it on the charger. The only time my traxxas charger timed out was in storage mode,I got the code for not reaching target voltage. I checked with a volt meter on the balance plug and I had a 3.85 cell and 3.86,that is just fine,it will balance out when I charge it.
    What charger do you use?

I doubt it unless the battery got hot or puffed. Your esc will cut off at no less than 3.7 per cell unless you have an esc you can program it to go lower. If neither happened put it on the charger. The only time my traxxas charger timed out was in storage mode,I got the code for not reaching target voltage. I checked with a volt meter on the balance plug and I had a 3.85 cell and 3.86,that is just fine,it will balance out when I charge it.
    What charger do you use?
    Trx single port charger for NiMH, 2s & 3s. I have a programmable Castle ESC, its set to default, not sure what that is, I'd have to check...
    Last edited by Briber; 01-20-2016 at 05:54 PM.

RC Racer
    I have the same charger. I seriously doubt the Castle default is less than 3.7v

So I started cycle back over and it went straight to two lights lit, then took forever to completely finish charging. So I will try next time to charge at 2A and see if it gets done before charger times out.

RC Racer
    How long does it take out of curiosity? I have a 5000mah 2s,I charge it at 4 amps and it takes 45-50 min every time.

How long does it take out of curiosity? I have a 5000mah 2s,I charge it at 4 amps and it takes 45-50 min every time.
    I will time my next charge.

Well thought I'd get a good time for you tonight on charge time but I got bats mixed up and put wrong one on and its to late to time the other lol. I was wondering, do you leave your charger plugged in 24/7?

...do you leave your charger plugged in 24/7?
    No. No, I do not.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    No. No, I do not.
    What about overnight?

What about overnight?
    No. No, I do not.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree.

For years the Castle LVC default setting was 3.2 volts per cell

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    ...the Castle LVC default setting was 3.2 volts per cell
    This is correct. The Castle default setting still is: Auto LiPo Detection at 3.2v/cell. This is according to the most recent 09/2014 Driver's Ed Guide.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    I like my traxxas easy charger with id. I always balance charge and if I'm not going to be running the batteries again right away I charge at 3A instead of 4A. Also always charge my nimh Batts at 3A. It takes a little longer but I have read it's better for the batteries long term. I do have another lipo charger but it was for a small truck I got and it will charge all the way to 6A I do not use it for my traxxas batteries. I'm selling small truck as soon as parts come for it I ran a little lipo in it and stripped plastic diffs right off of wish I would have got teaton instead... keeping charger tho may try some spc lipos for my xmaxx.... this thread has been helpful I'm still having a hard time understanding the C rating and if it makes a big difference in performance and run time.
    Last edited by Drty420; 01-22-2016 at 10:39 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This is correct. The Castle default setting still is: Auto LiPo Detection at 3.2v/cell. This is according to the most recent 09/2014 Driver's Ed Guide.
    Sigh ... and that setting is far too low.

I agree.

"SPC STRONGLY RECOMMENDS A LOW VOLTAGE CUTOFF (LVC) SETTING OF 3.5 VOLTS PER CELL!" Yes, they are yelling (all caps). SPC also says, "... balancing is absolutely necessary and required each and every time you charge..."

SMC, "You must set the LVC (low voltage cutoff) in your ESC at a minimum of 3.4v per cell."
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... "SPC STRONGLY RECOMMENDS A LOW VOLTAGE CUTOFF (LVC) SETTING OF 3.5 VOLTS PER CELL!" Yes, they are yelling (all caps). SPC also says, "... balancing is absolutely necessary and required each and every time you charge..."
    I know, I wrote that.

As for the balancing every charge - it is an INCREDIBLE safety feature that should never be overlooked or ignored!

Going lipo, recommendations?

FWIW, SPC is not the only well-known LiPo vendor that is advising use of a higher LVC setting than the stock Castle Creations setting. If you look around, you will find the recommendation. And you'll also experience sticker shock, lol.
    Also, I'll add that SPC was the first vendor to post such advice and that other vendors were rather unkind in their characterizations of SPC's products and/or policies. It is readily apparent that a company having as a driving force a person who is not only a trained engineer but also an avid enthusiast is a great benefit to us as a community.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-22-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by Drty420 View Post
    I'm still having a hard time understanding the C rating and if it makes a big difference in performance and run time.
    Found this online:

So what does the C rating on a lipo mean?*For starters, the C in C Rating stands for capacity.*To break it down to its simplest terms, the C rating is the maximum safe continuous discharge rate of a pack. If you see 10C on your battery, it means it can be discharged at 10 times that pack's capacity. Capacity refers to the milliamp-hour rating of the battery, which will be listed as a number followed by mAh (2000mAh, for example).

Here's the easy way to find your battery's discharge rate just multiply the number from the C rating by the pack's capacity. Keep in mind that 1000 milliamps*equalsone amp. Here's an example, using an 11.1V 2000mAh 10C

11.1 volt 2000mAh -10C
    2000 milliamps = 2 amps*
    2 Amps x 10 = 20 amps continuous discharge

This means that you can safely draw up to 20 amps continuously from that 11.1V 2000mAh 10C without doing damage to your battery.

Here is a video explaining charging rates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1lBnMfph-0

It helped me.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-22-2016 at 05:44 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks briber... this was most helpful. Always good info here.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast