Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    RC poster
    So now I've gotten cofused a little.
    Understand the charge rate and balancing.
    But what is the reason for going lipo?

Longer run time or more power?
    Is the trx dual lipo/nihm charger a good charger?

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    The reason is that LiPo is better in every way.

LiPo holds voltage a great deal better than NiMH. An NiMH battery will be going downhill lap after lap in it's performance, with LiPo, you would almost not know the difference until the battery is near empty. LiPo offers higher power density, allowing you to run high powered 1/8 and 1/5 rigs that draw a lot of amps. Modern LiPo chemistry allows you to safely charge and discharge at much higher rates than NiMH.

When I switched from NiMH to LiPo, lo these many years ago, I was amazed at the leap in performance. It was a significant, instantly noticeable improvement.

NiMH is old tech. LiPo is fantastic. I haven't owned an NiMH pack in years.

An aside, the newest tech is LiHV (LiPo High Voltage). This is LiPo with advanced chemistry for an end voltage up to 4.35 Volts / Cell. Currently it is not race approved though. Once it is however, availability and competition will increase, prices will drop, and it'll be like tossing out an HDTV for UHD / 4K. Yeesh!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    I run a venom10,000mah 2 cell lipo in my stampede 4x4 vxl it goes about 35mph and I get roughly 1hr runtime

RC poster
    Thank you jvogel. Reading this thread is very informative.
    Your explanations are plain and simple. Thank you very much.

More than welcome. Us old-timers have some wisdom . . . and senility too.
    Obstacle Magnet

I'm just realizing I have 7.4v 2s. The stock NiMH are 8.4.

Is there a problem running these in either vxl or brushed models?

My charger shows me 7.4v when I hook them up, so why does it over charge them?

I'm clueless when it comes to batteries. I'm really upset for not realizing this when I ordered them!

Last edited by Briber; 03-08-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    a 7.4v, 2s lipo is fully charged at 8.4 volts, it will not go higher

nimh are similar in the their stated voltage is not what they actually hold.

a 8.4v nimh will likely come off the charger around 10 volts

it isn't overcharging -- the charger knows what it is doing as long as you set it to the proper battery chemistry

They both said over charged so I switched to batt meter and here's results:

Should I be concerned about this?
    Is .06v or .13v off off from 8.4v (full) a concern?
    This is what charger says but I haven't set anything other than 5.0a and 2s. It also doesn't say how to correct error.

What's the "H" and "L" specifying?
    Last edited by Briber; 03-08-2016 at 09:20 PM.

RC Racer

Going lipo, recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post

What's the "H" and "L" specifying?
    I have the x2 ac plus. H is the High cell voltage and L is the Lowest cell voltage. Each cell, fully charged, should equal 4.2 volts. For a 2s battery that's 2 cells... so 2 cells * 4.2volts = 8.4. Main is the total volts in your pack. Are you doing a balance charge each time you charge it? If not you should be.
    Slash 4x4 LCG / Stampede 4x4 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy89 View Post
    I have the x2 ac plus. H is the High cell voltage and L is the Lowest cell voltage. Each cell, fully charged, should equal 4.2 volts. For a 2s battery that's 2 cells... so 2 cells * 4.2volts = 8.4. Main is the total volts in your pack. Are you doing a balance charge each time you charge it? If not you should be.
    Everytime without fail, yes I do! These both are brand new from smc, haven't even gotten out of the 10 charge break in period. Have been charged maybe 4x each. Could this be why I'm getting error? I read it takes about 10 charge cycles to reach full capacity of batts but why am I getting this error?

RC Racer
    They both said over charged so I switched to batt meter and here's results:
    Check your settings. I think you have the chargers CAPACITY CUTOFF set too low. Go through your settings and see what it is set to.

RC Racer
    Everytime without fail, yes I do! These both are brand new from smc, haven't even gotten out of the 10 charge break in period. Have been charged maybe 4x each. Could this be why I'm getting error? I read it takes about 10 charge cycles to reach full capacity of batts but why am I getting this error?
    See Capacity Cutoff in your manual on page 36. You need to bump that up. Mine is set to 6500mah since I charge 6500 batteries. Hope that helps.

Excellent advice Hammy89! This very well could be the issue.
    Obstacle Magnet

Check your settings. I think you have the chargers CAPACITY CUTOFF set too low. Go through your settings and see what it is set to.
    Thanks for helping with this! I see the cutoff setting on page 15 in manual what should it be set to?

RC Racer
    Thanks for helping with this! I see the cutoff setting on page 15 in manual what should it be set to?
    How big (mah)are your batteries? It needs to be at least that high if not a bit above it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I set mine to the highest possible number it will let me......

I also turn off the temperature cutoff timers and the on timer as well. If you are being responsible, there is no need to ever hit those

and there is no break in period... it's a story people cooked up, to hide them having no clue what they were doing --- ok so someone just PMed me and said that some manufacturers have preservatives in their cells that burns off after awhile..... none of the cells I have have ever had that issue, and I have several different brands. SPC directly says that they do not have a break-in period.

just like my lipo burned down my house for no reason.....
    Last edited by jimbo74; 03-08-2016 at 10:04 PM.

RC Racer
    Page 38 shows your exact error message.

Please restrict support of non-Traxxas products to other websites or forums. It is not permitted here.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

It's set to 5000mah and they are 5000mah batts

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    I set mine to the highest possible number it will let me......

I also turn off the temperature cutoff timers and the on timer as well. If you are being responsible, there is no need to ever hit those

and there is no break in period... it's a story people cooked up, to hide them having no clue what they were doing

just like my lipo burned down my house for no reason.....
    That's right. Day #1 of charging all of your cells should have 4.2 volts. Jimbo, that's funny that you say that. I just heard that today lol!

RC Racer
    Set it to 5100 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Please restrict support of non-Traxxas products to other websites or forums. It is not permitted here.
    No problem, will do, apologize for that.

Set it to 5100 or more.
    Ok

Is there a noticeable difference between a 5000 mAh 50C and a 5600 mAh 60C lipo when talking about discharge rate?

If so what's the difference.

If not then why have that?

Or is the discharge rate only different because the increaee of mAh inherently increases the discharge rating?

Another question I have is, if I have a max 2c charge rating on my 5000 mah batts, allowing me to set charger to 10 amps when charging, when I go over 5000 mAh on a batt can I still charge at 10 amps on charger or will I have to revert to 1c and set charger to 5 amps?

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Last edited by Briber; 06-18-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Two things:

50C vs 60C

This is indicating the discharge rating of the pack. This is how fast a battery can be discharged safely. A high powered motor can damage or even burn up (fire) a battery with too low of a discharge rate. But buying a battery with a really high discharge rate would be a huge waste of money if your motor cant use it.

That said, this is subtle difference in "C rating" so most people will not notice a difference between these two packs.

5000mAh vs 5600mAh

This is indicating the milli-Amp hour (mAh) rating of the pack. Think of it like a fuel tank for run time. The bigger the mAh, the bigger the battery packs size. Make sure you know what size battery your RC can hold in its tray before you buy. Also, the bigger the mAh, the higher the price tag. Usually it is better to buy two batteries that are close to standard size (about 5000 mAh), than to pay more than double for one big, heavy battery.

That said, this is a subtle difference in "mAh rating" so most people will not notice a difference between these two packs.

Hope this helps.
    Obstacle Magnet

Thank you it did help.

Can anyone else shed some light on the charging question?

Last edited by Briber; 06-18-2016 at 01:19 PM.

I have a max 2c charge rating on my 5000 mah batts, allowing me to set charger to 10 amps when charging, when I go over 5000 mAh on a batt can I still charge at 10 amps on charger or will I have to revert to 1c and set charger to 5 amps?
    First off, I would suggest only charging at 1C since this is best for the long life of your packs. As you know, C is the relation of mAh to amp charging, so a pack that is 2C rated with 6000mAh, can be charged at up to 12 amps - - - or anything under that. So the answer is: Yes, you can charge at 10 amps any 5000mAh+ pack rated at 2C, but I would stick with charging at 1C.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    First off, I would suggest only charging at 1C since this is best for the long life of your packs. As you know, C is the relation of mAh to amp charging, so a pack that is 2C rated with 6000mAh, can be charged at up to 12 amps - - - or anything under that. So the answer is: Yes, you can charge at 10 amps any 5000mAh+ pack rated at 2C, but I would stick with charging at 1C.
    I appreciate the answer my friend. I run several packs a day through each of my 3 trucks. I only have 2 3s and 2 2s. With that said I have a high turn over rate for now until I'm able to purchase more. That's one of the reasons for deciding on the brand I got is being able to take advantage of the 2c charge rate and having less down time between charges. This brand of lipos is relatively inexpensive and has passed my (accidental) abuse test many times over. From crappy esc dropping voltage below 3v per cell a few times to being flung out of vehicle and skidding across parking lot during high speed passes to exposure of freezing temps as well as temps above 100F.
    ALL ACCIDENTALLY AND DON'T ADVOCATE, CONDONE OR RECOMMEND ABUSE OR TESTING ON LIPOS TO ANYONE! DONT TRY IT!
    My batts are still performing like the day I got them. With that said I think they can handle the 2c charging I've done since the day I got them. I'll prob physically damage them (on accident of course) before the 2c charging ruins them lol!

I appreciate your input and information.

Last edited by Briber; 06-18-2016 at 02:04 PM.

I appreciate the answer my friend. ...having less down time between charges.
    More than welcome!

I hate down time too so I got a Hitec x4 to help with that. Four different batteries charging at once is sweet. The Hitec is not as awesome as my Hyperion but it does alleviate my immature impatient charging challenge! It also helps having more than a dozen LiPo packs at my beck and call. This is an addiction.
    Obstacle Magnet

More than welcome!

I hate down time too so I got a Hitec x4 to help with that. Four different batteries charging at once is sweet. The Hitec is not as awesome as my Hyperion but it does alleviate my immature impatient charging challenge! It also helps having more than a dozen LiPo packs at my beck and call. This is an addiction.
    "immature impatient charging challenge" hey I resemble that remark too lmbo!!!! I have the Hitec x2. I got a question for ya check pm or email please.

"This is an addiction" so true my friend!

PM reply done my friend.

Sent from Northern California!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... A high powered motor can damage or even burn up (fire) a battery with too low of a discharge rate.
    Not really true.
    But buying a battery with a really high discharge rate would be a huge waste of money if your motor cant use it.
    Really not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Not really true. Really not true.
    With all due respect, I didn't make these statements up. I garnered them from experts.

LiPo batteries can overheat because the C rating of the pack is too low. Should the heat get above 140 degrees F. Lithium polymer cell manufacturers suggest that exceeding 140 degrees F is NOT a safe temperature for a lithium polymer cell. At 140 degrees F, the pack can become unstable and very dangerous (risk of a fire).

http://rc-heli-review.com/discharge/
    http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
    http://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
    etc.
    Obstacle Magnet

PM reply done my friend.

Sent from Northern California!
    Thank you J!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With all due respect, I didn't make these statements up. I garnered them from experts.

LiPo batteries can overheat because the C rating of the pack is too low. Should the heat get above 140 degrees F. Lithium polymer cell manufacturers suggest that exceeding 140 degrees F is NOT a safe temperature for a lithium polymer cell. At 140 degrees F, the pack can become unstable and very dangerous (risk of a fire).

http://rc-heli-review.com/discharge/
    http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
    http://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
    etc.
    Certainly a RC LiPo pack becomes potentially volatile at temperatures approaching 140F, but to say "A high powered motor can damage or even burn up (fire) a battery with too low of a discharge rate.", is a gross exaggeration and fear mongering at its worse.

As for the sources you quoted, some of it is questionable and some is useful information and some appears to be copied from the results of my years of personal research and testing.
    Last edited by Jakey; 06-19-2016 at 08:54 AM.

I'm all ears.

Are you saying that a motor cannot draw enough power from a battery to produce high levels of heat?

Are you saying that one of the sources I listed plagiarized your intellectual property?
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ya gotta love how some people take a simple statement and then take it to extremes with "Are you saying work does not create heat of some sort?" Or. "Are you saying they stole from you?"

It is very rare in today's ground-based, RTR RC world when a person is using a reasonable-quality RC LiPo pack and they load that LiPo battery pack so excessively with a stock, RTR 1/10th scale, low-amp system; to the point of failure that involves battery failure/flames during that run, and said failure is the DIRECT result only of battery pack heat due to voltage sag and internal resistance related heat. I mean really ... talk about scare tactics. And if you read that from one of the sources quoted, then SHAME ON THEM!!!

As for stealing intellectual property, I did not patent or copyright any of my work ... so shame on me. But the fact still remains, I see many RC battery companies now adopting and preaching RC battery pack operation and treatment (both Nimh & LiPo) that I was pushing YEARS ago. And I do not care if they deny that fact or not, as it is still true. Also at the time I received a lot of flack for my battery care recommendations, however I do have the last laugh now.

I have proven ideas on battery care and testing, including hardware and software which would take nearly all types of battery testing, monitoring and analyzing to a completely new level, but I will probably take this all to my grave. After a while you get to point in your life where you just say, "It doesn't matter any more. Enjoy yourself, help others and life is OK just the way it is."
    Last edited by Jakey; 06-19-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread. It sounds like there's lots of bad and outdated info out there and you have worked on modernizing some of that. Tanks. I think all of us would greatly appreciate it if you would post your findings. I haven't ever tested any of this. I just regurgitate what I've read from "so called" experts. Would you be so kind as to post your info? A couple for example: Is it wise to store your LiPo packs in the refrigerator? Is it necessary to store your LiPo packs at storage level or is full just fine now?
    Obstacle Magnet

That is not a hijack of thread, this thread has become a all-inclusive LiPo thread.

I'm quickly realizing after my own experience that lipo's are not as delicate as suggested. I would love to confirm your findings with my own real world experience.

I understand that with any type of container that stores energy there's always potential for that energy to be released in an unpleasant way. The question is how likely is that to happen??? It's like we'll I'm not flying in an airplane cause the death rate when an accident happens is to high. However considering the likely hood of an accident is so low your chance of being hit by lightening is far greater, so it would be absurd to use that reasoning to never use a plane....

BTW thanks J was to you jvog.
    I extend my thanks to you as well Jakey.

Last edited by Briber; 06-19-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread. It sounds like there's lots of bad and outdated info out there and you have worked on modernizing some of that. Tanks. I think all of us would greatly appreciate it if you would post your findings. I haven't ever tested any of this. I just regurgitate what I've read from "so called" experts. Would you be so kind as to post your info? A couple for example: Is it wise to store your LiPo packs in the refrigerator? Is it necessary to store your LiPo packs at storage level or is full just fine now?
    I think if even a cursory review of Jakey's posts is performed, you will see his recommendations repeated over and over. As to the methodology by which he arrived at those recommendations...that's proprietary. Although it is probably within your ability to comprehend what he does, the exact process will probably never be made public. Having seen it in all its profound and confounding glory, I can tell you that it is indeed unique and impressive and was developed from a unusually broad spectrum of engineering disciplines.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Im Curious if anybody has tried the new Graphene batteries? they say its the future

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast