Thread: Too much power?

RC Enthusiast

Question Too much power?

Question for the more experienced pilots. Can you put too much power in a quad?

I went to buy the 4000mah battery for my aton and let myself get talked into a 5200mah 50c battery instead. Which sounded awesome. Should be waaay more flight time. But when I put it in to fly, the aton felt out of control, take off in film mode wasn't smooth, movement felt jerky, and it seemed to drift.

So, is this just me not being delicate enough on the control with the bump of juice or is there maybe something with the battery?

I'm only familiar with 1s Lipo for Alias. Not much difference in the various sizes I tried so far. But the Aton uses proper ESCs and there may be some changes that can be made in firmware that can deal with limits of discharge, not sure. Hopefully an employee will chime in.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey, I appreciate any input. Thanks. This is a 3S just like the stock battery. I'm not sure what's up. Could just be me. I hope it's just me and some one can set me straight. Haha

*Watch the language and remove words the language filter has edited out.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-05-2016 at 09:13 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeShabado View Post
    Hey, I appreciate any input. Thanks. This is a 3S just like the stock battery. I'm not sure what's up. Could just be me. I hope it's just me and some one can set me straight. Haha

*Watch the language and remove words the language filter has edited out.
    Will do, Double G. I apologize about the language. When the filter edited it, I figured it did its job and I just let it roll. I'll be sure to pull those words in the future.
    Last edited by JoeShabado; 01-05-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Traxxas Employee
    Increased discharge rate of the battery should not affect your flight controls. Batteries don't "push" current, they simply allow it to flow out. If your discharge rate were too low, that's another matter. That can affect the performance of the Aton. Just make sure you are using high quality batteries with good quality plugs (Traxxas). Try to avoid any battery that requires an adapter. Adapters cause unnecessary resistance that reduces the amount of current that can flow through.

As to your flight issues, camera mode is usually super-smooth. I had no issues with drifting or stability in camera mode on mine. Just make sure that your battery was firmly plugged in. If necessary, your Aton can be reset. Mine took a pretty hard landing. I reset it just to be on the safe side. If you ever have erratic flight, try the reset first. Call customer service for more information about the reset.

RC Champion

I went to buy the 4000mah battery for my aton and let myself get talked into a 5200mah 50c battery instead. Which sounded awesome. Should be waaay more flight time. But when I put it in to fly, the aton felt out of control, take off in film mode wasn't smooth, movement felt jerky, and it seemed to drift.

So, is this just me not being delicate enough on the control with the bump of juice or is there maybe something with the battery?
    does the quad have a high/low function? if so make sure its in low mode or mode 1, while learning to fly. as far as drifting make sure the quad is on a even flat suface while setting the gyro and correct the trim from there to hover in place about 6 ft off the ground.

wind does affect these quads pretty hard too and that can be apart of it, just because there isnt much wind on the ground, up higher is a completly different ballgame, the winds 50-100ft up can be 5-20mph higher then on the ground which will seriously effect performance.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    UPDATE: Someone suggested that my issue could be that the Aton was intended to run on a 100amp battery and that the battery I was sold is a 250amp battery. Thoughts?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    Increased discharge rate of the battery should not affect your flight controls. Batteries don't "push" current, they simply allow it to flow out. If your discharge rate were too low, that's another matter. That can affect the performance of the Aton. Just make sure you are using high quality batteries with good quality plugs (Traxxas). Try to avoid any battery that requires an adapter. Adapters cause unnecessary resistance that reduces the amount of current that can flow through.

As to your flight issues, camera mode is usually super-smooth. I had no issues with drifting or stability in camera mode on mine. Just make sure that your battery was firmly plugged in. If necessary, your Aton can be reset. Mine took a pretty hard landing. I reset it just to be on the safe side. If you ever have erratic flight, try the reset first. Call customer service for more information about the reset.
    I will try the reset and see what happens. The battery is a Lectron Pro. It does have a Traxxas plug, but not the ID plug. My LHS told me that wouldn't make any difference. It did seat well so I went ahead and tried to fly.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    does the quad have a high/low function? if so make sure its in low mode or mode 1, while learning to fly. as far as drifting make sure the quad is on a even flat suface while setting the gyro and correct the trim from there to hover in place about 6 ft off the ground.

wind does affect these quads pretty hard too and that can be apart of it, just because there isnt much wind on the ground, up higher is a completly different ballgame, the winds 50-100ft up can be 5-20mph higher then on the ground which will seriously effect performance.
    It has "Film Mode" which is it's trainer mode basically. Auto take-off features and the such in this mode, and that's what I was flying in just to be safe. There was no wind down low and it was too erratic to try to achieve any real altitude. It flies great with the stock battery, even in a little wind.

Traxxas Employee
    It flies great with the stock battery, even in a little wind.
    Oh, so it flies well with the stock battery, just not with the other battery? That is strange. I don't think a reset would help in that case. Make sure the battery cannot shift in flight. That amount of weight moving around in the compartment can cause stability issues. If the battery can move around, use some kind of spacer.

RC poster

Not to be a smart guy but are you sure the voltage of the new battery is the same as the original battery? Capacity and discharge rate would not affect the Aton as you described.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpetrich View Post
    Not to be a smart guy but are you sure the voltage of the new battery is the same as the original battery? Capacity and discharge rate would not affect the Aton as you described.
    Yeah, both are 3S 11.1v, got them in front of me right now. Good thought though, man.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    Oh, so it flies well with the stock battery, just not with the other battery? That is strange. I don't think a reset would help in that case. Make sure the battery cannot shift in flight. That amount of weight moving around in the compartment can cause stability issues. If the battery can move around, use some kind of spacer.

The new battery is the same length and height, the only difference is that it's not quite as wide. I'll see if I can't slide a piece of foam or something in there and give it a go.

UPDATE: Someone suggested that my issue could be that the Aton was intended to run on a 100amp battery and that the battery I was sold is a 250amp battery. Thoughts?
    Hmmm... I think those ratings are for maximum current draw. So if all four motors at max draw 60 amps, then both a 100 and a 250 amp battery are capable. Unless there's something wrong with the unit, it would not ever want/need to draw more than the 60 amps as an example. I have no idea what the actual draw is, but obviously it must be under 100, probably by quite a bit.

RC Enthusiast
    Makes sense. So amperage on these batteries is like an electrical breaker basically, as long as you never draw over it's limit it doesn't matter.

RC Qualifier
    What charger did you use the charge the battery? Do you have a way to test each cell is the battery?
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    What charger did you use the charge the battery? Do you have a way to test each cell is the battery?
    I used an X1.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, good but odd news. I flew it today on my lunch break with zero problems, other than the stiff breeze we have today. I charged the battery yesterday and it flew all wonky. I popped it back in today and it flew fine. I can't make heads nor tails of it, but it works. Thank you all for the input and advice. I'm going to charge it again this evening and fly one more time to see if the problem duplicates itself.

Glad to hear that the issue seems to be stabilized. My tech/troubleshooting brain has a hankering to know what happened.

RC Enthusiast
    Yours and mine both. Last night, the funky flight took place on a full charge. All I can think to do is to try to fly again this evening with a full charge and see what happens.

Just a thought, could you have not shut the battery door tight? That would allow the battery to slide back and forth effecting the CG and would cause all kinds of stability issues.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyTanker View Post
    Just a thought, could you have not shut the battery door tight? That would allow the battery to slide back and forth effecting the CG and would cause all kinds of stability issues.
    I suppose anything is possible. I recall closing it properly, but that doesn't necessarily mean I did. That's a good thought though, considering it flew fine today and I can't think of a thing else that might have been different.

Keep us up to date on how the battery performs!

Did you give the GPS time to initialize and set a home position on your first flight? (All 4 green LEDs solid indicate GPS / home position established.)

If you had 4 solid green lights then it should be very stable in film mode. If at some point during flight the GPS loses connection then it'll basically rely just on the stabilization system and it will drift around some since it doesn't know exactly where it's positioned. If you're in an area with something obstructing part of the sky (trees / power lines / big buildings / etc.) it's possible to lose the GPS link in flight.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.